Thinking About a Boat

There is a Bayliner Command Bridge 28somethingornother a short walk from my house. It's priced at about 20k with a triple axle aluminum trailer. I don't think think it has an onboard genset though. I'd bet a 15k offer would get it.

That first boat fits the bill, needs mechanical work. but there is room in the budget.

It’s also on the coast - as far away from me as you can get while being in the lower 48.

@Fiveslide I’ll look at your suggestions this evening. In general I don’t want to go to the coast. Prefer no salt water exposure and plus that’s a long drive. But may be worth considering.

We’ve found some localish options that look reasonable, but I am asking for more cabin pics. We also need to discuss the idea of what we want in a cabin in more detail.

@Fiveslide I’ll look at your suggestions this evening. In general I don’t want to go to the coast. Prefer no salt water exposure and plus that’s a long drive. But may be worth considering.

I wouldn't worry too much about the saltwater exposure in a fresh water cooled engine. Flush and clean the heat exchanger, might have to replace the exhaust risers, but you might have to replace them on a fresh water boat anyway. They all corode eventually. I lived on saltwater for years, never had a boat get worn out just because of salt.

A raw water cooled engine is a different story, I would stay away from those.

I prefer inboard, direct drive boats over anything with an outdrive. With an I/O boat you get the problems of and inboard and an outboard. The Borg Warner and hurth transmissions are easier to rebuild and, I think, more reliable than an outdrive. The Bayliner I mentioned is an I/O boat so it isn't at the top of my list, but I would own one for the right price.

I haven't checked too many of my normal websites yet, those I posted are ones that I knew I could find quickly.

I always shop considerably higher priced boats than my budget, the reason I posted that first Silverton, I think it could be had in your budget.

There aren’t too many Bayliners I’d consider owning, and none of them in the sub-30’ size range. Too many plastic/cheap components and thin upholstery. Not to mention that the people who bought them originally were likely on a lower budget, so they are less likely to have A/C and gensets in them. I also wouldn’t want a flybridge with a single screw because it catches more wind making docking/trailering a pain. The other problem that flybridge sometimes presents is bridge clearance issues when on a trailer (or in the water). It likely isn’t too big of a deal on the sub-30’ class, but it’s something to keep in mind if you go under any low bridges on the water or when trailering. Our old lake house was on the backside of a bridge which I could touch the support structure of when standing in my boat. Cruisers with the popular radar arches couldn’t pass under it, nor would a flybridge.

I’d look at Formula, ChrisCraft, SeaRay, Cruisers Inc, Doral, Regal, Rinker, Carver (or Trojan). Inboards are fine, but not as common in the sub-30’ class. Also, inboards are great if you leave them in the water all year round because they have lower risk of water leaks than I/Os. However, they are less fuel efficient and are not tolerant of hitting submerged objects or shallow water. I’d take an I/O on most inland lakes any day over an inboard for those reasons. If it were the Great Lakes or in salt, then it’d be a different story.

Like aircraft, boat choice is dependent upon use, consider carefully.
We have had several boats and I have found that boats over about 24' are much more difficult to trailer. (they get heavy fast as they grow in size)

Reactions: Ted
Few comments in no particular order.

I am figuring whatever we get will be an I/O. I understand why some people don’t like them but ultimately that’s what the boats in our range. I found the outdrive to be essentially trouble free. Jesse did work to it after he bought it but we didn’t have problems. I would prefer dual alpha drives to a single bravo just because the bravos seem to go way up in cost.

I was under the impression that all of the boats I was looking at would be cooled by the lake/ocean water, but that’s a question to ask and look into if we end up looking at a boat on the coast. However I don’t think we will I that far anyway. While that is where I’d really like to have a boat, we’d then have to fly the MU2 down to use the boat whenever we wanted, and that defeats most of the purpose of what we’re looking at doing.

Good points regarding height clearance and brands. Like I've said we were really happy with the Sea Ray we had and we would do another. I figure for the features we’re looking at it would likely need to be a fairly higher end boat when new to start.

There is always the consideration of whether I want to look at a portable AC and generator. I just don’t think that makes sense. Adds too much work and messing around, plus I don’t want to leave a portable generator sitting and running somewhere that I’m trying to have fun.

I’ve sent a few emails with questions to a few of the listings I found interesting. Of corse craigslist especially one never knows whether sellers will respond to emails so I might make a few calls or texts Monday if I haven’t heard back.

Like aircraft, boat choice is dependent upon use, consider carefully.
We have had several boats and I have found that boats over about 24' are much more difficult to trailer. (they get heavy fast as they grow in size)

My Ram is rated up to around 15k lbs so it can tow whatever we’re looking at fine. And the intention is to put it in a slip anyway, trailering will be mostly beginning and end of season.

its a galley

Close enough, you knew what I meant. :)

My wife doesn’t really want one, but since everything we’re looking at has one that is what it is and we can remove it if we really want.

Close enough, you knew what I meant. :)

My wife doesn’t really want one, but since everything we’re looking at has one that is what it is and we can remove it if we really want.

Propane grill on a Stern rail is all you need, it where 99% of our meals go cooked.

Sea Ray made a nice little 30ish foot flybridge boat, but they are rare.

Well, they’re all cooled by lake/ocean (raw) water in some fashion. That’s how marine engines exchange the heat. However, some boats are full raw water cooled (most of what you’ll see in the 70s/80s models). Some use a heat exchanger which runs coolant through the engine block only, and some run it through the block AND exhaust manifolds. Honestly, if a boat has been run with raw water cooling in fresh water, I wouldn’t be too worried. As long as you inspect or just replace the manifolds/risers (simple task on a boat) it’ll be good for decades. Pretty much everything you’re looking at will have carburetors as well, since MPI engines didn’t become widely popular until the early-00s. I’m sure you’re comfortable with that though given your other projects.

You’re close enough to LOTA, MO and Grand Lake, OK which have tons of cruisers on them from 26’-50’. Even Lake Texoma is close enough to look at, which will have plenty of boats to look at trailering home to KS.

My Ram is rated up to around 15k lbs so it can tow whatever we’re looking at fine. And the intention is to put it in a slip anyway, trailering will be mostly beginning and end of season.
Will final choice be a displacement boat.
Our last boat was very much like this one. and the one we had the most fun with. (easy to tow. would over night 4, and ski or fish).
Here in Pudge Sound moorage is a premium, ($350.basic slip plus footage ($ 4.50) and limited to location. and fresh water was a trailer ride east of the mountains. So the little buddy cabin was ideal.

https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/stanwood-22ft-celebrity-220-like-new/6926656271.html

I also had a 3500 ram, I really wouldn't tow at max gross for very long..I did, and yes they will do it, but it's not comfortable.
30' boat that is built well, can easily exceed 15,000# specially a twin screw.

Our last boat was very much like this one. and the one we had the most fun with. (easy to tow. would over night 4, and ski or fish).
Here in Pudge Sound moorage is a premium, ($350.basic slip plus footage ($ 4.50) and limited to location. and fresh water was a trailer ride east of the mountains. So the little buddy cabin was ideal.

https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/stanwood-22ft-celebrity-220-like-new/6926656271.html

It’s pretty common for most leased dock slips in the Midwest(covered w/electrical service) to run around $10/linear ft per month.

I also had a 3500 ram, I really wouldn't tow at max gross for very long..I did, and yes they will do it, but it's not comfortable.
30' boat that is built well, can easily exceed 15,000# specially a twin screw.

My trailer and bulldozer end up pushing right up to the max weight and it tows quite comfortably. Not going 80, but that’s fine.

My trailer and bulldozer end up pushing right up to the max weight and it tows quite comfortably. Not going 80, but that’s fine.
Our cuddy cabin was 4500# trailer and load, would tow at highway speeds very nicely. even in the mountain passes.

There are a lot of boats for sale between Tacoma and Vancouver this summer.
google 48 degrees north it is a boating mag for puget sound.
https://48north.com

From an adventure perspective I love the idea of buying a boat on the coast and taking it home - either road trip or boating it. But the practicality is hard to pull off with that when there are nearby examples that’ll do the job. That said, it’s worth looking to see what there is.

So, yer looking at $300 per month.

Yup. Dry docking is an option at bigger lakes, too, which can be cheaper. Even storing it in a boat/RV storage unit can be cheaper yet, so he’d only have to tow from storage unit to boat ramp each time. Lots of options to choose from, with the convenience level dropping as the cost goes down. Dropping $3-$4K/year for dock slips starts making the towing look better depending on how many weekends you end up using the boat. I normally only take the runabout out 5-6 weekends a year, so towing the hour or hour and a half isn’t much of an imposition. We also have family and friends with waterfront property/docks at both lakes we frequent, so that makes stopping to get in the A/C or overnight tie-ups free of charge.

When we had the waterfront lake house with 2-slip dock and boat lifts, it was easier to just hop in the car 10-12 times per year and not worry about towing or boat ramps. Just drop the lift down in the water and have fun. The $2,500/mo mortgage payments were the same as paying a year of slip rental, but we had a 1,900 sq ft waterfront lake house and dock to show for it!

Our cuddy cabin was 4500# trailer and load, would tow at highway speeds very nicely. even in the mountain passes.

My 2004 Ram diesel I had a 2,000 lb trailer with varying weights of cars on it I towed all over the western half of the US, usually pushing 7k lb or so in tow. No issues whatsoever.

Yup. Dry docking is an option at bigger lakes, too, which can be cheaper. Even storing it in a boat/RV storage unit can be cheaper yet, so he’d only have to tow from storage unit to boat ramp each time. Lots of options to choose from, with the convenience level dropping as the cost goes down. Dropping $3-$4K/year for dock slips starts making the towing look better depending on how many weekends you end up using the boat. I normally only take the runabout out 5-6 weekends a year, so towing the hour or hour and a half isn’t much of an imposition. We also have family and friends with waterfront property/docks at both lakes we frequent, so that makes stopping to get in the A/C or overnight tie-ups free of charge.

I’ll say it’s all or nothing. We have all the storage we need on site, so either it’s in the water waiting for us or we’re towing it from our house.

Yup. Dry docking is an option at bigger lakes, too, which can be cheaper.

If you have to tow it to go boating, every use is an outing that requires planning. If it sits at the dock (and you live close), you can take it out for an hour to enjoy the sunset or drown some bait. Boatel is probably in the middle as you have to call ahead to get the boat put in the water.

If you have to tow it to go boating, every use is an outing that requires planning. If it sits at the dock (and you live close), you can take it out for an hour to enjoy the sunset or drown some bait. Boatel is probably in the middle as you have to call ahead to get the boat put in the water.

That’s the thought for me too. I’d like to have the option to go out on the lake for dinner.

I’ll say it’s all or nothing. We have all the storage we need on site, so either it’s in the water waiting for us or we’re towing it from our house.

I’m the same way. We have plenty of storage space in the shop, so that’s where our sits. Everything is always in the boat, battery on a trickle charger, and fueled up. We can usually hitch up and be on our way in 15min. However, the closest option for us is about a 25-min drive (McLellan-Kerr navigation channel) and that requires us to make sure a cooler is packed and that we have everything we need because there are no docks/food out there, and rarely any other boaters to help if we broke down for some reason.

Probably doesn't matter for the 'depreciated' type of boat you are looking for, but keeping the thing in the water (even on a lift) causes them to age quickly. You can find barn kept inland boats that are 20 years old and have gelcoat that looks like it came from the factory last week. And then you have a lift kept boat from a seawater environment and it looks like bird**** 5 years in.

Just make certain to change the bellows before it breaks. Outside of fuel problems, that's the most common call for the towboats.

Considering your truck and tractor adventures, I think you would like a surplus 'Safeboat' from coast guard or state law enforcement surplus.

How many options do you have to float it?
The more options the more versatile the towing options become.
Only one place to float it? dock/ slip it.

I'm not too sure about that.
Here in Oak Harbor we have 3 very nice marinas that you can either moor your boat or launch it.
We have done both. in both options we kept all our boating stuff in the boat.
It was still pack the cooler and carry it to the boat.
On the trailer at home we simply packed the boat.

Ever consider a time share on a really big boat?

there are several boat clubs here that offer great rates on rental cruisers. You join, take and pass their boating safety course, then simply rent the boat.

Probably doesn't matter for the 'depreciated' type of boat you are looking for, but keeping the thing in the water (even on a lift) causes them to age quickly. You can find barn kept inland boats that are 20 years old and have gelcoat that looks like it came from the factory last week. And then you have a lift kept boat from a seawater environment and it looks like bird**** 5 years in.

Just make certain to change the bellows before it breaks. Outside of fuel problems, that's the most common call for the towboats.

Considering your truck and tractor adventures, I think you would like a surplus 'Safeboat' from coast guard or state law enforcement surplus.

Eh, I think that’s entirely dependent on the boat owner and storage type. If you have covered boat storage on a boat lift, with a mooring cover, it really shouldn’t age much differently than a boat sitting on a trailer. If a boat sits uncovered in the water for months, there will be repercussions from that. Plenty of guys leave their newer boats on a trailer outside “because boats are supposed to get wet” and end up with a 5yr old boat with an interior that looks worse off than my 43-yr old boat with original interior. If you care for it properly, whether moored in water, sitting on a lift, or covered storage on a trailer, the boat will last a long time and look good. Skip annual wax jobs and interior cleaning and things go south quickly.

Eh, I think that’s entirely dependent on the boat owner and storage type. If you have covered boat storage on a boat lift, with a mooring cover, it really shouldn’t age much differently than a boat sitting on a trailer. If a boat sits uncovered in the water for months, there will be repercussions from that. Plenty of guys leave their newer boats on a trailer outside “because boats are supposed to get wet” and end up with a 5yr old boat with an interior that looks worse off than my 43-yr old boat with original interior. If you care for it properly, whether moored in water, sitting on a lift, or covered storage on a trailer, the boat will last a long time and look good. Skip annual wax jobs and interior cleaning and things go south quickly.
Be certain,, previous care is the biggest factor.

Boy, that makes the marina where we've had our boat for the last 20 years look cheap. The boat is a Hunter 23.5 (water ballast, trailerable sailboat) and the slip just went up to $109 a month. Now, with a severe negative tide you aren't going anywhere for a few hours, but that is only a few times a year. And the boat only draws 18 inches with the rudder and centerboard up.

Like buying an airplane:
“The two happiest days of my life ... the day I bought it and the day I sold it.”

My non-pilot friends say this to all the time, but I haven’t hit that 2nd happiest day yet!

What I want.....

AREL22481.jpg

What I can afford....

th

I like the options @Fiveslide posted. The cabins especially are nice, and the commanding view from the bridge is something I like too. That said I can’t see a bridge type boat working for towing a tube or skis well. I also don’t like the non-bridge deck on them, seems small.

We need to talk about whether the goal for the cabin is more where to be or getting out of the sun/heat. Nothing in the 30ish ft range will have expansive cabin space anyway, but it would be good if it had a way to comfortably get inside for whatever reason.

There aren’t too many Bayliners I’d consider owning, and none of them in the sub-30’ size range. Too many plastic/cheap components and thin upholstery. Not to mention that the people who bought them originally were likely on a lower budget, so they are less likely to have A/C and gensets in them. I also wouldn’t want a flybridge with a single screw because it catches more wind making docking/trailering a pain. The other problem that flybridge sometimes presents is bridge clearance issues when on a trailer (or in the water). It likely isn’t too big of a deal on the sub-30’ class, but it’s something to keep in mind if you go under any low bridges on the water or when trailering. Our old lake house was on the backside of a bridge which I could touch the support structure of when standing in my boat. Cruisers with the popular radar arches couldn’t pass under it, nor would a flybridge.

I’d look at Formula, ChrisCraft, SeaRay, Cruisers Inc, Doral, Regal, Rinker, Carver (or Trojan). Inboards are fine, but not as common in the sub-30’ class. Also, inboards are great if you leave them in the water all year round because they have lower risk of water leaks than I/Os. However, they are less fuel efficient and are not tolerant of hitting submerged objects or shallow water. I’d take an I/O on most inland lakes any day over an inboard for those reasons. If it were the Great Lakes or in salt, then it’d be a different story.
I was going to say the same thing about Bayliners of that vintage. They were pretty much an entry level boat - attracting a lot of first time buyers. They were nice and shiny with a nice color scheme but they cut a lot of corners on materials. I bought a searay int he mid-1980’s and still have it 30+ seasons later. Back then, in the pre-internet days I subscribed to about every boating magazine published. It was the addiction before flying took over. I’ve lost tracked of what has happened to the industry in the last 25 years. I know at some point Brunswick owned Mercruiser and bought searay, bayliner an Maxim. I talked to a mechanic around Y2K and he told me they really cheapened up the Searay line too. To the OP, Good luck with your purchase. We have 33+ years of enjoyment from our boat. 4AC90079-9F5A-48E4-A393-F6E707A77913.jpeg

I'm with you all on the Bayliners, with the exception of that one I posted. I've been on that model and a well cared for example would be a good boat. The engines and outdrives are the same thing that comes in every other manufacturers boats. I've seen plenty of soggy, soft Bayliners that don't deserve a second glance.

I lived on a boat for three years and delivered big boats for a living, I know how to not buy junk. ;)

That said I can’t see a bridge type boat working for towing a tube or skis well. I also don’t like the non-bridge deck on them, seems small.

Sheeeeeeit! That Silverton 31 is sweet and skiing behind anything in your size range is kinda sucky because the wake is going to be huge. But that's good for tubing if the tuber likes the wild rides.

I think you're describing a Sea Ray 300 weekender or something similar. A nice size express cruiser.

I'll be back in a minute

Back