ForeFlight 11.6 released today: 3D Review, Map Annotation, Instructor Tools

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Nice stuff.

I gave it a glance. To me it's ..... okay.

Feels like it could be better one day, but not sure it's for me at this early stage.

Once I can try it in flight I'll have a better feel for it. The fact that it will read the checklist from any other page will solve the one issue I didn't like about using them in FF.

Is there a way to turn all this stuff off? I probably use half of FF capability and would rather have the storage space for maps and charts.

ForeFlight 11.6 is packed with great new features and enhancements including 3D Review for better flight planning and debriefing, Map Annotations to keep your notes where you need them, Instructor Tools with the ability to send remote endorsements, and more

Fore more details, here is a link to the blog post: https://blog.foreflight.com/2019/07...instructor-tools-and-more-in-foreflight-11-6/

I'll check the link when I have time, but quick question. What level of subscription does one need to have to take advantage of the new features?

Is there a way to turn all this stuff off? I probably use half of FF capability and would rather have the storage space for maps and charts.

I think all the new features are just for the $300 subscription level, so just don't subscribe to that and you should be ok.

I did not look too closely to verify this though and may not be correct.

Im pretty sure the download you have on your device contains the entire package, including the top level Performance Plus features. Then there is a cookie (or similar code) that pinged their server to obtain what level you are sub'd to and what features are unlocked and available.

So, likely no way to reduce the size of the app on your device.

I think all the new features are just for the $300 subscription level, so just don't subscribe to that and you should be ok.

I did not look too closely to verify this though and may not be correct.
From https://blog.foreflight.com/ there is no mention that the features in the 11.6 update are restricted to a particular subscription tier.

I definitely see them in my Pro Plus subscription

You get a free subscription for always posting the updates or something?

From https://blog.foreflight.com/ there is no mention that the features in the 11.6 update are restricted to a particular subscription tier.

I definitely see them in my Pro Plus subscription

I saw everything except the 3D stuff when I just tested it. For 3D it wants me to upgrade from $200 plan to $300 plan. Not that I need the 3D info.

Map annotations and audible checklist did work for me though and may be useful in the future.

3D review is pretty cool. Now you don't have to get on the computer simulator and fly to check out a route.

I've been hoping for the map annotations.

So far I’ve added frequencies and runway numbers to a few private airports I fly too.

I’m missing the ability to delete a specifically added note after I’ve already added others, but I’m guessing that will be coming soon.

So far I’ve added frequencies and runway numbers to a few private airports I fly too.

I’m missing the ability to delete a specifically added note after I’ve already added others, but I’m guessing that will be coming soon.

Just looked. Don't see an eraser like on the scratchpads. That's all it would take. Then just erase the ones you don't want.

I have performance plus. I do wish I had the 3D airport view. But won’t drop another Hyundai for it. But one skill I lack is seeing the field from farther away. If I’ve been there sure. But if not I sometimes just can’t pick them out.
I was probably 2 miles out, approaching KCGS from the north, until I saw the field. I think that 3D view would help.
I bet I could use google earth just as well.

I’m guilty!
Dirty secret: we all have difficulty picking out that one-runway, 3000' airfield surrounded by trees. I don't believe anyone who says they don't, unless they have been there many times.

When I taught primary, I taught that the most important navigational checkpoints were the first after departure and the last before landing. The starting position for manual route planning was those two big, obvious pilotage checkpoints about 10 NM away. If you draw a straight line, it is between those two checkpoints, not the airports. The pre-arrival checkpoint was to orient yourself, as in, "I am over the middle of this big lake. If I turn to 150 degrees, the airport is12 o'clock and 10 miles. I may not see it now, but if I head in that direction, I will see it. . .

Not all that necessary with out magenta lines, but I still look at the Sectional for something big and obvious to orient myself as I get closer.

So, how much of this stuff requires upgrading to a more expen$ive package? If Boeing changed that pattern I’ll be very happy.

I upgraded today for the 3D option. It's pretty underwhelming. It just the same terrain data this OK from up high, but blurry WAY out 2000' and below. Runways don't even show up. They took the look-down terrain data and tipped it to an out the windscreen view. all very distorted approaching airports.

-David

Im pretty sure the download you have on your device contains the entire package, including the top level Performance Plus features. Then there is a cookie (or similar code) that pinged their server to obtain what level you are sub'd to and what features are unlocked and available.

So, likely no way to reduce the size of the app on your device.

The app itself does have all the capability, but for example, the 3D features use separately-downloaded imagery, so if you're not using the 3D feature, it's really not taking any significant space. The size of the app is only 239 MB (less than 1/4 Gigabyte). It's the downloads that take up space.

You get a free subscription for always posting the updates or something?

Even family members don’t get a discount...but I got to admit seeing the new stuff this weekend and some other features I was not using they are blowing away the competition...

Back