If only...

I’m not very familiar with this model. Is there something special about it that warrants that price? Just it’s rarity?

I’m not very familiar with this model. Is there something special about it that warrants that price? Just it’s rarity?

That’s actually a very good price for a nice DHC-2. They run up to half a million with a turbine conversion.

That’s actually a very good price for a nice DHC-2. They run up to half a million with a turbine conversion.
Still doesn't answer my question. What's so special about it? It's a cool plane for sure. But it doesn't look that remarkable really.

Still doesn't answer my question. What's so special about it? It's a cool plane for sure. But it doesn't look that remarkable really.

If you have to keep asking then I probably won’t be able to convince you/explain it. A Beaver is a purpose built genuine Bush performer with a big round engine and a big UL that can get in/out of short, rough stuff. Tailwheel. Big tires. Radial engine. Gear hauler with several people on board. A human hand doesn’t look all that remarkable, either, until you really look at all that’s capable of, how it works, how it functions, how it was designed. ;) I’m surprised- I thought you liked airplanes. Never heard of a pilot that didn’t admire the DHC-2. To me, THAT is remarkable. See? I can’t make you understand.

Please list models and advertised prices of your “more” than a Beaver. You’re full of hot air, which will get you a balloon ride. ;)
I'll bet I could be burning kerosene in the stratosphere and maybe even have money left over for the maintenance for that money.

If you have to keep asking then I probably won’t be able to convince you/explain it. A Beaver is a purpose built genuine Bush performer with a big round engine and a big UL that can get in/out of short, rough stuff. Tailwheel. Big tires. Radial engine. Gear hauler with several people on board. A human hand doesn’t look all that remarkable, either, until you really look at all that’s capable of, how it works, how it functions, how it was designed. ;) I’m surprised- I thought you liked airplanes. Never heard of a pilot that didn’t admire the DHC-2. To me, THAT is remarkable. See? I can’t make you understand.
A simple comment about the useful load would have been something. Up until then nobody had said anything except "It's a beaver", which isn't very helpful.

In the pics it doesn't seem big enough to utilize the useful load, maybe it's deceptive. I've never seen one in real life.

A simple comment about the useful load would have been something. Up until then nobody had said anything except "It's a beaver", which isn't very helpful.

In the pics it doesn't seem big enough to utilize the useful load, maybe it's deceptive. I've never seen one in real life.

It's UGE! Not sure what to relate it to other than being 50% bigger than a Cessna 185.

+1 for the awesomeness of a Beaver, but I would go with this one and swap for amphibs...
display-asset

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...DHC-2+MK+I&listing_id=2340221&s-type=aircraft

Ever seen a Caravan through a photo and then saw one in person? Same thing here... the Beaver is pretty big!

^a proper man's plane

Granted, if I had the choice between a DHC2 or an Antonov AN12 I'm going with the Soviet

Name another certified airplane with a 2k lb useful load and capable of operating off short unimproved strips or water for less money?!?
Maybe a PC-6, not sure on the price though.
Edit... never mind, no floats.

I'll bet I could be burning kerosene in the stratosphere and maybe even have money left over for the maintenance for that money.

Ok, so list your high-flying speedsters that can get in/out of unimproved strips with the same useful load. Oh, you’re describing a TOTALLY DIFFERENT MISSION? I see. Well, then, let’s compare apples to Steingars, shall we? I can buy a car that can go WAY faster than your house for less than 1% of your home’s appraisal cost, and have gas money and an air freshener with the money left over. (Ugh, some people’s children, Lord, some people’s children...) :)

An AN-12? That's a four engine turboprop! Did you mean an AN-2? That's "about" Beaver size, maybe a bit bigger. One of my favorites! This is me at the factory in Poland.Picture 011.jpg

Did you mean an AN-2
My favorite is that the airplane has no stall speed... the POH apparently states that in an engine out just hold the wings level with the stick full after and the plane will descend slowly and land..

The bad thing about the AN-2 (well, one of the bad things) is that they burn as much fuel as the speed they fly. I don't have the numbers around any more, but top speed was like 120 MPH and fuel burn is right around 100 gallons per hour!

The bad thing about the AN-2 (well, one of the bad things) is that they burn as much fuel as the speed they fly. I don't have the numbers around any more, but top speed was like 120 MPH and fuel burn is right around 100 gallons per hour!
60GPH at 90MPH. 1.5MPG.

While Beavers aren't that bad, they're also not that much better. IIRC something like 22gph at 110mph.

I suspect very strongly I could buy a whole lot more.

You can certainly buy a 1970's bizjet for a quarter million. Most of them will require two pilots, but you can probably find a single pilot early model Citation for that. I believe you need a type rating as well.

Of course, the operating expense would eat you out of house and home unless you almost never flew it, which kind of defeats the purpose of having an airplane.

You can certainly buy a 1970's bizjet for a quarter million. Most of them will require two pilots, but you can probably find a single pilot early model Citation for that. I believe you need a type rating as well.

Of course, the operating expense would eat you out of house and home unless you almost never flew it, which kind of defeats the purpose of having an airplane.

A quick look on Controller shows:

The cheapest turboprop on Controller is a 1974 Commander 690A with 9000+ hours and 4600 SMOH on each side and 2455 on each hot section for the low low price of $395,000
The cheapest jet on Controller is a 2000 Lear45 with almost 9000 and original engines with around 6500 cycles for the bargain price of $1,480,000

Back