THEFT OF AVIONICS - please read

But you have to register your GPS unit before downloading databases, I would definitely call Garmin.
I didn't mean to imply not calling Garmin as presumably they do keep a list if a unit comes in for service or a shop/individual asks for a check.

But to register the 430/530 for databases you just need to tell them it's a 430/530. It says a serial number is required, but anything works for the 430/530 and I think the documentation even says that.(Jeppesen may differ)
Like I said, my account knows them as serial number 1 and 2

Any update on what the surveillance cameras showed?

They only got the planes out of camera range. Found out this morning that two private owners got hit as well. Their planes also were out of cam range. Whoever did it had intimate knowledge of the airport.

The airport has live webcams that I’m guessing the perp knew about. But if they drove they would go past them.

I've dealt with a number of flight school insurance claims, but none for theft. Is this likely to be a single incident/single claim/single deductible, or one per plane?
If all the aircraft were on a single fight school policy, it would probably be 1 "occurrence" and 1 deductible. If the planes are in individual policies, it's a whole other story.

And yes the insurance company will only spring for the equipment that was stolen. OR the value of the 430s could be put towards upgrades, but they won't pay for brand new GTN650s. Get them involved ASAP so they can make you whole.

Exact same scenario happened at our airport, HBI, just a couple weeks before SunNFun. A neighboring airport was hit about a week later. They took KX-155’s and Garmin 430’s...even took a KX-170B. Damaged all doors and some broken side windows. This was caught on cameras about 2am...showed people wearing hooded sweatshirts...unable to get good ID . This is the second time in about a year.

That's sickening. And here's what really gets me. The people that are going to know what to take and how to take it are pilots and mechanics. We all go through more or less the same thing to do what we do and we know how many planes - especially those owned by smaller flight schools or owned by individuals - are owned with hope that not too much goes wrong so that the adventure can continue as it has. So someone who takes this stuff knows what its owner went through to have it and to be able to use it. Or in the case of school planes they know that there are students and instructors who depend on those systems to be able to study and feed their families. You can say "well it is insured," and maybe it is. Hopefully it is. But whether it is or not, whoever did this went through the same trials and tribulations to earn their certificates as their victims did and they know how difficult it was, how hard those people worked, how many late nights they stayed up studying or flight planning or driving home from the airport after a flying lesson after work, and they rubbed their face in the mud anyway. That's what really gets me. The stuff can be replaced, and the school has insurance. Hopefully the individual pilots had insurance on their equipment too. But whoever did this knew what all of that meant to them and they kicked them in the teeth anyway. One thing I've learned is that being a pilot is a lot more than being able to safely fly an airplane. It's stuff like our community here, and airport brunches, and pumpkin drops and the other things we do to be closer to each other in this somewhat hazardous endeavor that we engage in for love or for work, or for both, and they violated that. Whatever legal consequences could happen to them aside, they don't deserve their wings.

I'm in the STL area (not flying, for now :( - I really need to change that), and saw the post on FB. Sickening.

If we have some STL folks headed up to OSH, perhaps checking the Fly Market? Don't know if someone would be so brazen as to sell stuff at OSH shortly after stealing it, but who knows.

Inside job. Has to be.

Doesn't take long for a professional thief to look the place over and see the cameras were not a problem.

Could have been that person looking for a discovery flight or that person that was taking pictures of planes. A couple hours one afternoon was probably enough to come up with a plan.

You know, it's not even about the stuff that got stolen (which I hope is insured). It's the dishonesty. I like to believe that people are inherently good then you get these worthless pieces of human feces. Even if the radios are gone to Mexico and these d-bags have spend the money, I hope they're caught and strung up by their happy sacks. These are the people who need to be flogged and placed in chains in the city square so everyone can see what kind of people they are. A few whacks with a switch would slow these creeps down.

To the OP, I truly feel sorry for your loss and if they ever catch these dirt bags, please let us know.

You know, it's not even about the stuff that got stolen (which I hope is insured). It's the dishonesty. I like to believe that people are inherently good then you get these worthless pieces of human feces. Even if the radios are gone to Mexico and these d-bags have spend the money, I hope they're caught and strung up by their happy sacks. These are the people who need to be flogged and placed in chains in the city square so everyone can see what kind of people they are. A few whacks with a switch would slow these creeps down.

To the OP, I truly feel sorry for your loss and if they ever catch these dirt bags, please let us know.
Inherently good. . .you talking primates? Plenty of good people, but none of them arrived here in that state. And "good" varies quite a bit, from place to place.

Back