YouTube guys

Trust me, if you were making the money that some of those guys are, you’d edit the shiznit out of a video without thinking twice about it. Some of them are making some serious moolah.

Fabulous Moolah?

lillian-ellison-04.jpg

What current editing software do you guys like? I'm looking for a somewhat affordable step up from iMovie that works in a similar way.

Wondershare fimora is a good one as well. More entry level but has some slightly advanced features. Cheap.

+1 for Adobe Premier...but its expensive. If I didn't also use Photoshop and Lightroom I don't think it would be worth it.

I am not currently a youtuber but I do edit video for my own home movies and sometimes for work presentations. I also do a lot of photoshop for both home and work. I made work buy me a copy of Premier Elements bundled with Photoshop Elements for my work computer. Then I bought it myself for home use. The bundle is about $120 and you own it (no subscription). I think I do much more than just extreme basics and I've not yet found a reason to upgrade to the full version. The Elements version does everything I need.

I edit using DaVinci Resolve. I used to use the free edition, then switched to the Studio version (299$) after making some money with the videos.

Wondershare fimora is a good one as well. More entry level but has some slightly advanced features. Cheap.

I started with Wondershare, and recently switched to Movavi for work with multiple tracks, it seemed easier to sync. I did think Wondershare had better designed text options.

Dana I watched that video and how you move your head around it looks as if you're singing the song.

I had to laugh.

On you tube person said that it took them about an hour for each minute. Wasn't an aviation channel though. And obviously some videos are just recorded and unedited.

I follow the "recorded and unedited" setup for my YouTube channel.

And I have 25 subscribers. Look out, Jay Leno!

If you are a Linux person, it's a cold, cruel world out there when it comes to video editing.
Kdenlive is the best that I know of and it works, but it's not a great tool.

Dana I watched that video and how you move your head around it looks as if you're singing the song.

I had to laugh.

No singing, I chose the music afterwards. But I was real happy with how I able to match the bounce on touchdown with the music.

Powerdirector, works well, if you do the subscription you get free music and other stuff. You only get a copyright ding by youtube about half the time.

SocialBlade is a good site to find some basic metrics on different YT'ers and projected (estimated) earnings. It's NOT 100% accurate. Many of the YT'ers are making much more through merchandise, Patreon, and other monetization methods. One method they recently released (I saw it on a channel yesterday for the first time) is a "JOIN" vs "SUBSCRIBE" button. When you "Join", you pay the author a little each month to be part of their inside circle.

Here's the page for Smarter Every Day's channel (the moon rocks video guy shown above):

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/destinws2

Don't look at Bryan's channel. He can't even buy a quart of oil. o_O

SocialBlade is a good site to find some basic metrics on different YT'ers and projected (estimated) earnings. It's NOT 100% accurate. Many of the YT'ers are making much more through merchandise, Patreon, and other monetization methods. One method they recently released (I saw it on a channel yesterday for the first time) is a "JOIN" vs "SUBSCRIBE" button. When you "Join", you pay the author a little each month to be part of their inside circle.

Here's the page for Smarter Every Day's channel (the moon rocks video guy shown above):

Funny how it says that Smarter Every Day has estimated yearly earnings between $60k and $962k. There's quite a difference there...

Funny how it says that Smarter Every Day has estimated yearly earnings between $60k and $962k. There's quite a difference there...

That's what I say when I'm on a date to throw them off. OK, I'm lying, I don't say that on a date. I never go on dates.

That's what I say when I'm on a date to throw them off. OK, I'm lying, I don't say that on a date. I never go on dates.

You're damn right on that. You couldn't even get a date when I asked the girl out on your behalf.

What, when was this?

2009/2010 when we had dinner at that Applebees. Ok fine, I only threatend to ask her out on your behalf if you didn't since she was showing interest. But you said you got her number and didn't follow up.

Close enough, I rest my case.

I remember the Applebee's and vaguely remember a waitress, but I never remember pulling a number. And I should remember that because it would be the only time I ever have. :rofl:

Patreon used to list the amount per video. SV Delos was bringing in $10k to $20k per video, once a week a few years ago. I was amazed. It's not reported any more.

Patreon used to list the amount per video. SV Delos was bringing in $10k to $20k per video, once a week a few years ago. I was amazed. It's not reported any more.

I saw one YouTuber telling what he made on a particular video that went viral. I think it was viewed over 10 million times in a month. He showed where he made over $100k on that video in the month it went viral.

Just found the video. Didn't watch it again to see how accurate I was in remembering his profit. He has another video where he breaks down how much money he makes from Youtube.

Woo Hoo! I'm ranked 2,309,290th - That's a really big number!!! I must be GREAT!!! ;-)

If you like smartereveryday here's a couple more you might enjoy checkout answers with Joe, the action lab, The King of Random.

Those are really the only channels that I watch religiously

I remember when Youtube first came out and I commented to a buddy: "Who wants to watch cat videos all day? I don't see the point." Here we are years later...and I still don't generally watch Youtube, but will admit that I guess everyone else must enjoy watching videos. I'd generally rather speed read a blog post to figure out the answer to some question or interest I have than to sit through a video. (Get off my lawn). I also don't normally watch TV or read/watch the news, but will mute the commercials if I'm sitting through something on TV. Lastly, I'm a ball at parties.

I'd generally rather speed read a blog post to figure out the answer to some question or interest I have than to sit through a video.

I still prefer print for my news. I can’t stand having to watch through a video to find out info.

I still prefer print for my news. I can’t stand having to watch through a video to find out info.

Yeah, especially when that video is so heavily padded that 10 minutes could easily be distilled down to 2...

But there are some excellent vids out there.

Back