Buying Fuel in Bulk = Savings $$$

Another option is to add an auxiliary tank to your plane. Granted that won’t help with bulk discounts. However, you can load up when you come across cheap fuel. Also has the added benefit of increasing the plane’s range.

The 235 has tip tanks so I’m sitting at 84 gallons

I've been considering adding a 100 gallon transfer tank to a new-to-me pickup, I have yet to see if said pickup will fit in my hangar with an airplane in it.

This is exactly what I do. Make sure that it is permitted for ‘flammable ‘.
Most all of the tanks that are sold are for ‘combustible ‘. There is a company in Florida that sells tanks with flammable permit. The tanks themselves are identical it’s just the difference is the permit that is welded to the side of the tank.

Last edited:
I've been considering adding a 100 gallon transfer tank to a new-to-me pickup, I have yet to see if said pickup will fit in my hangar with an airplane in it.
Maybe I will get one. I can use my tractor to take it out when I dont need it and I will be legal.

I added one of these (rectangular so I can still load my ATV in the bed) to my truck last year and its been great for filling the machines at home and the airplane.
http://atitank.com/products/dot-refueling-tanks/

Hey how much was yours, I cant find the prices on their website but I assume around 1000$? Even then Compared to the prices here @ 5 bucks if I could get the fuel for 3.80 at another airport next county over that would be 132$ in savings which is definitely worth it, I would cover the cost of the tank in about 7 refills.

Edit: Never mind! they are around 500-600! SAVINGS AHOY!!!!!!!!

Hey how much was yours, I cant find the prices on their website but I assume around 1000$? Even then Compared to the prices here @ 5 bucks if I could get the fuel for 3.80 at another airport next county over that would be 132$ in savings which is definitely worth it, I would cover the cost of the tank in about 7 refills.

Yep, I got the 51g TTR51 and its working nicely in my old Silverado. Looks like I paid around $625 from them on their Amazon storefront. It's already paid for itself. I put a 12v DC Fill Rite fuel pump on it w/ a water/sediment filter. Luckily here in central IL I can find ethanol free mogas.

Yep, I got the 51g TTR51 and its working nicely in my old Silverado. Looks like I paid around $625 from them on their Amazon storefront. It's already paid for itself. I put a 12v DC Fill Rite fuel pump on it w/ a water/sediment filter. Luckily here in central IL I can find ethanol free mogas.

You know, my 235 good to burn 80/87 ethanol free and I know I can get it at buckys. but honestly im a bit scared to.

Edit: Never mind! they are around 500-600! SAVINGS AHOY!!!!!!!![/QUO

Savings ahoy!!!?? Really?

You know, my 235 good to burn 80/87 ethanol free and I know I can get it at buckys. but honestly im a bit scared to.

If you can get a mogas STC for your airplane, that sounds like the way to go. You only need to haul enough fuel to fill up your airplane, so no storage hassles and no heavy and expensive fuel trailer.

Check airport rules
Check state & fed regs
The airport rules are gonna be the stopper. Most don't like the competition. There are two airports about 20 minutes from me; when I get my next plane, I'm going to the one with cheaper fuel, period.

Yep. How much fuel would it take to recoup the money spent on the trailer and everything else you need? My wife wanted chickens for "fresh eggs" and since I grew up with chickens, I told her no. By the time a coop was built, feeders, waterers, etc, we could buy a lifetime of eggs for the money spent on keeping them.

She still got her chickens. :rolleyes:
But you get fresh poultry whenever you want.

If you buy a FillRite or similar tank it'll be labeled for diesel but not gas. Mine worked fine for gas for the 2+ decades I hauled it around but you definitely will need to vent the tank to relieve pressure from temperature changes. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the seal plate on the underside of the cap and it worked perfectly. No pressure build up and no noticeable fumes even with a canopy on the truck, but I did leave the front slider cracked open.

Yep... Mine too... For 6 (yes, six) hens... Sorry for the topic drift....
b6157197f2f75e23a4ccf6b501785b79.jpg

Thanks quite the chicken palace.

Probably your best option here.

Back