Plane down in Mississippi-Sad

Yes, she had a lot going well for her. It sounds like just a tad windy, though about right down the runway. That was reported, didn’t see the actual winds/weather.

I see that it looks like an ‘official’ CAP plane? The older son here was in the CAP, only flew the ‘fam’ flights with a CAP pilot. Maybe they do things different down there, I thought I read she had a PP license? I guess she was on the ‘fast track’ to become a CAP pilot herself?

Last edited:
Botched go-around seems like. Sad to see a young person lose their life.

It's great to see young people with a passion for aviation. And a sad reminder that young, inexperienced pilots are very vulnerable in those early hours. We lost a local college student (freshly minted PP with only a few hours past certification) and her passenger in a LOC accident about 7 years ago flying out of our airport. Likely carb icing encounter that went bad. Heartbreaking.

"...It looked like it was landing and then aborted the landing and we saw it struggle to come back up,' bystander Brian Scott Rippee said..."

Wonder if she still had full flaps
Yeah, my flight instructor always had students try a full-flap go-around, just so they'd recognize the total lack of performance.
Also, I wonder what her given name is, as I cannot find her in the pilot database.

"...It looked like it was landing and then aborted the landing and we saw it struggle to come back up,' bystander Brian Scott Rippee said..."

While it's hard to determine how much she had out in one of the pictures on Kathryn's report you can see the left wing flap is deployed.

R-model only has 30-degrees of flaps, so not quite as bad as the "barn doors" on 172's with the 40-degrees. The C172 will still climb with 30-degrees of flaps, it sure doesn't like it though.

Yeah, my flight instructor always had students try a full-flap go-around, just so they'd recognize the total lack of performance.
Also, I wonder what her given name is, as I cannot find her in the pilot database.

Elizabeth Lake Little.

R-model only has 30-degrees of flaps, so not quite as bad as the "barn doors" on 172's with the 40-degrees. The C172 will still climb with 30-degrees of flaps, it sure doesn't like it though.

Just last week had to abort a landing attempt in a 172. Full flaps at 7000 MSL with temps in the 80s. You have to really take time milking the flaps back up, and the VSI was barely indicating positive rate the entire time.

Damn. N994CP looks like a familiar tail number. I think it might have been assigned to the CAP squadron at KOLV when I was there. Might even be the last CAP plane that I ever flew.

Edit: Got home and looked in my logbook. Verified. This is the third plane (all 172s) that I have flown that subsequently crashed and the second one that resulted in a fatality. These are the three that I know of. I hope there are no others.

Last edited:

No experience with the R model, but I can tell you that an N model with the Penn Yan 180 hp conversion (which includes limiting the flaps to 30 degrees) does not like to fly fast taking off with 30 degrees hanging out in the breeze. It will take off and climb, but it certainly will not move very fast.

I see that it looks like an ‘official’ CAP plane? The older son here was in the CAP, only flew the ‘fam’ flights with a CAP pilot. Maybe they do things different down there, I thought I read she had a PP license? I guess she was on the ‘fast track’ to become a CAP pilot herself?

She was a student pilot on a solo cross country. Cadets are permitted to take primary flight training in CAP aircraft.

I read a short article about her. Sounds like she was a very active young lady. Condolences to her family and friends.

This one is especially sad to me. I had just met her mom last week and she was so proud of her and what she had going on. Headed to college, wanting to fly in the military....Sad! I was shocked when I heard and can't even imagine what her family is going through!

This one is especially sad to me. I had just met her mom last week and she was so proud of her and what she had going on. Headed to college, wanting to fly in the military....Sad! I was shocked when I heard and can't even imagine what her family is going through!
Oh man, that's terrible...

:(

Just last week had to abort a landing attempt in a 172. Full flaps at 7000 MSL with temps in the 80s. You have to really take time milking the flaps back up, and the VSI was barely indicating positive rate the entire time.

I almost added the density altitude caveat to that. My experience with it was on days with less than 4K' DA for sure. 7K MSL would probably make it a no-go with 30-degrees of flaps hanging out.

No experience with the R model, but I can tell you that an N model with the Penn Yan 180 hp conversion (which includes limiting the flaps to 30 degrees) does not like to fly fast taking off with 30 degrees hanging out in the breeze. It will take off and climb, but it certainly will not move very fast.

Right. It certainly isn't spry with all of the drag out there, but the 160HP R-model will do it. I never tried it at max gross though, but when FI had me demonstrate it, we were full fuel and probably within 200 lbs of max gross. I wish I could recall the climb rate, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't anything I'd want to rely on.

I almost added the density altitude caveat to that. My experience with it was on days with less than 4K' DA for sure. 7K MSL would probably make it a no-go with 30-degrees of flaps hanging out.

Right. It certainly isn't spry with all of the drag out there, but the 160HP R-model will do it. I never tried it at max gross though, but when FI had me demonstrate it, we were full fuel and probably within 200 lbs of max gross. I wish I could recall the climb rate, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't anything I'd want to rely on.

Should have added 180 HP so the power is there, but barely.

Prayers for her family and friends. Very sad indeed.

My F had 40° flaps. It would also climb, at about 50 fpm. With only my instructor and me.

Sorry to hear this. Young lives that end suddenly cause much pain. Dreams and aspirations end, relationships are cut short, and the survivors must bear the struggle to understand.

My sincere thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

"Then, when we were walking off the green it just fell straight down into the trees."

Definitely stalled it.

Sorry to hear this. Young lives that end suddenly cause much pain. Dreams and aspirations end, relationships are cut short, and the survivors must bear the struggle to understand.

I can't even imagine what her parents are going through. And her flight instructor.

The OP's attached article and a report I read said she was practicing touch-n-goes. If true, it's but one more testimony as to why they should be outlawed (figuratively speaking)...especially for low time pilots. You never truly land doing T-n-G's...they're stupid.

Land, stop, reconfigure take off = stop-n-go. Far less chance of ending up like this. Plenty of runway to do so at KUOX

But I've beaten that drum here numerous times before...

Condolences to all who knew her.

Damn. N994CP looks like a familiar tail number. I think it might have been assigned to the CAP squadron at KOLV when I was there. Might even be the last CAP plane that I ever flew.

Edit: Got home and looked in my logbook. Verified. This is the third plane (all 172s) that I have flown that subsequently crashed and the second one that resulted in a fatality. These are the three that I know of. I hope there are no others.

I hope you never flew my airplane.

I would not be surprised if it was a power on stall with full flaps and trimmed for landing. I trained in a 160 hp R model and with 30 flaps the force to keep the nose down on a go around was a lot even for my 200 pound self if you were not ready for it. Our go around routine was full power, flaps to 20 immediately. If she was doing a touch and go and didn’t clean the airplane up it would have been easy to stall it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Again, my heart goes out to her family. Tragic.

I’m a recently minted ppl, and fly an early 182 with 40 degree flaps. Once I got my license, my seasoned instructor highly suggested not to do touch and go’s. I don’t, and I think it is really good advice for any new pilot.

Sad news, she was too young and too much life in front of her. Realize it could be any of our kids.

On my first cross country 22 years ago, I did a go around on short final while still carrying full flaps, and was shocked by how much muscle power it took to keep the nose down. It brings me chills when I read reports like this.

On my first cross country 22 years ago, I did a go around on short final while still carrying full flaps, and was shocked by how much muscle power it took to keep the nose down. It brings me chills when I read reports like this.

Yep. Quite frankly I don’t think go arounds are practiced enough in primary training. And in real life they often occur in a stressful environment, typically something going wrong on short final, a horribly bounced landing or whatever. Somebody above mentioned getting a notch of flaps up right away. I disagree with that strongly. Doing that could send you right into the runway if executing at 10 feet. Full power, carb heat and trim trim trim. Get the plane straight and level and then deal with positive rate and flaps.

Somebody above mentioned getting a notch of flaps up right away. I disagree with that strongly. Doing that could send you right into the runway if executing at 10 feet. Full power, carb heat and trim trim trim. Get the plane straight and level and then deal with positive rate and flaps.

The 172r POH for a go around states: reduce flap setting to 20 degrees immediately after full power is applied.

The 172r POH for a go around states: reduce flap setting to 20 degrees immediately after full power is applied.

Gotcha. But does that include if you are 5-10 feet off the deck? Surely there’s sink in that flap transition.

Back