New Tachometer

AK737pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
My original 1968 Tach went out on my 182.

Options:
Electronics International
Horizon Tach
Aerospace Logic Tach/MP

Opinions? Any other options I haven’t mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got an EDM-830 already installed. It’s non primary. I sure wish there was an easy upgrade path- like just change out the head unit... glad I have it! My Tach failed in flight while I was on a “rescue mission” for a friend whose 185 broke down many miles away!

So, I’m leaning towards the E.I. gauge. Cheap an easy! And if/when the manifold pressure gauge goes out, I’ll get the matching gauge.... or get the Aerospace Logic dual gauge and be done with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had to replace my tach in the 180 last week. I bought a Superior Labs mechanical tach (my preference in that plane) from Merrill Field Instruments and they did the face markings and set the tach time in a day.

Horizon probably makes the best stand alone tach. The unit does a nice job of displaying mag drop and difference in drop between cylinders without extra button pressing. There's an annunciator if a mag fails.

That said, this might be a good time to bite the bullet and get a full engine monitor.

-David

Horizon probably makes the best stand alone tach. The unit does a nice job of displaying mag drop and difference in drop between cylinders without extra button pressing. There's an annunciator if a mag fails.

That said, this might be a good time to bite the bullet and get a full engine monitor.

-David

I've got a Horizon. IMHO the red LED annunciation in case of individual mag failure alone is worth the cost. However, potential buyer be forewarned; they are not compatible with any electronic ignition system. It also may take a bit of doing to take any induced ignition noise out a com panel, as the leads to it are shielded p-leads.

I've heard Horizon is having a hard time delivering product. And returning phone calls.

This will be my next one and since the hour meter stopped working, it will go in before new radios.

10-05428.jpg

I looked at the horizon tach too but found it to be incompatible with my slick start ignition system on my slick mags, went with a JPI engine monitor instead. Haven’t regretted it yet ,,,,

Pirep- Superior Labs mechanical tach jitters a little at idle but when flying it's dead nuts with my TruTach optical tach. I've had three Mitchells and none was true at cruise. All registered 50-75 rpm lower than the optical tach. I'm happy with the Superior and with MFI!

Pirep- Superior Labs mechanical tach jitters a little at idle but when flying it's dead nuts with my TruTach optical tach.
A jittery mechancial tach usually needs its cable cleaned, or a new cable. The grease in the cable housing gets old and hard and sticky and tries to grab the cable and it chatters. Got to pull the cable out and clean the cable and the housing bore with brake cleaner, and re-lube with a light grade of Lubriplate or similar. Cessna specified a particular grease that I can't remember now.

Back