Smoke and haze from fires

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Flew this morning and visibility was poor due to fires NE of Juneau. Fires are 240 miles NE near Whitehorse, YT I'm told. Talked to a pilot today,he said, "he was coming back after dropping loads on the fire". I asked "how big was the fire"? He said "Apocalyptic". Not sure what he was flying, most likely a helo. Thought it was strange someone flying from Juneau, 240 miles north to help fight a fire.

Visibility was maybe 6 miles. You folks that live in the big metropolitan city's are probably us to smog and haze. This northern boy is not us to that. I'm us to low clouds and rain but not smog and haze.

Sure hope it starts to rain soon... Not us to 2 weeks of sunny, hot weather, heck it was 80 in Juneau today..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Amen, dude. It hit 90 here in Anchorage yesterday, setting an all-time record.
No one here has air conditioning, so people are freaking out like Californians with snow!
You can tell who waters their lawns and who doesn't.

We've also got smoke, from a fire on the Kenai Peninsula (<50 miles away), and there's another one near Talkeetna.
Visibility dropped to about 4 miles at one point from the smoke. Couldn't see the mountains from the city.
Tis the season.

P.S. What does "apoptotic" mean? I tried looking it up, and got something to do with cell death in biology. Did he mean "apocalyptic"?

Amen, dude. It hit 90 here in Anchorage yesterday, setting an all-time record.
No one here has air conditioning, so people are freaking out like Californians with snow!
You can tell who waters their lawns and who doesn't.

We've also got smoke, from a fire on the Kenai Peninsula (<50 miles away), and there's another one near Talkeetna.
Visibility dropped to about 4 miles at one point from the smoke. Couldn't see the mountains from the city.
Tis the season.

P.S. What does "apoptotic" mean? I tried looking it up, and got something to do with cell death in biology. Did he mean "apocalyptic"?

Sorry @kath, defiantly misspelled that one. Should have been Apocalyptic.. an event involving destruction or damage on an awesome or catastrophic scale.

As far as the fires and heat, sure did not expect that. Weather sure has changed over the last 25 years. Heck if the weather keeps going the way it is, folks from California will be buying up Alaska and moving here, driving the property prices sky high....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry @kath, defiantly misspelled that one. Should have been Apocalyptic.. an event involving destruction or damage on an awesome or catastrophic scale.

As far as the fires and heat, sure did not expect that. Weather sure has changed over the last 25 years. Heck if the weather keeps going the way it is, folks from California will be buying up Alaska and moving here, driving the property prices sky high....:rolleyes:

If the weather keeps changing so many people will be moving north it will probably effect the rotation axis of the earth.

The weather hasn’t been that hot the last couple of years in california, although we have had our share of fires.

One good thing comes out of it, the smoke gets rid of the mosquitoes...

Every day I look up to see if the sky is blue or brown from smoke. Some days our air quality is really bad, and I'm sick and tired of the campfire smell!

Nah, just drives them inside trying to get away from the smoke....:rolleyes:

:lol::lol:

I spent a year in Tok. A fire was moving towards town and I ignored the mandatory evacuation since I lived on the airport and there were no trees within a 100 yards of me. The smoke got bad, really bad, followed by ashes falling, followed by hot ashes. The visibility was actually less than 10 feet. I stayed in my hangar apartment with the windows closed trying to keep the smoke out, but it was suffering hot inside.

About 9pm the wind changed, rain started falling and in less than an hour the smoke was gone. I went to the edge of town to see how close the fire got, and it got to the edge of town, about a half mile from me. I won't do that again.

But the smoke got rid of the skeeters, and pretty much all other flying bugs except the tourist.

Back