My Avidyne upgrade journey (IFD550 & IFD440)

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
My panel is getting a couple of upgrades this summer - a new engine monitor, and two Avidyne IFDs (a 550 and a 440) to replace the old Garmin GNS units.

Since avionics shops in Iowa and neighboring states are either booked through the rest of the year or won't even respond (thank you, ADS-B mandate), I took on the installation and configuration myself, with help from a local avionics-savvy A&P. The journey is just starting - and I am learning a lot in the process, reason enough for some new videos to share what I've learned.

So here is Part I, which covers he installation and initial ground test. Enjoy!

I lover my 440; envy at your dual units and Lynx!

Tell us more.

I love switching from the 430 to the 440. Great choice. Now I want the lnyx

Curious as to how readily available are racks for the GNS series since you keep them for the slide-in Avidyne. Anyone buying the GNS boxes will need the corresponding racks.

I used my current installed 430 rack and connectors and I sold the new rack and connectors. The 440 slides right in and all works

The 540/550 is very tempting to replace our 530W, but I’m worried about long term support. Avidyne seems like a pretty established company, but there are lots of orphaned boxes sitting in airplane panels these days.

I didn't realize the 554/540/440 come with their own racks...That answers my question! Thanks...

I didn't realize the 554/540/440 come with their own racks...That answers my question! Thanks...
But it’s always good to check with the shop or store you are buying thru. I have heard about some guys not getting it. I think they know you are upgrading so they won’t include it. For me I made sure it was included because I intend to sell and help offset the cost. I sold the rack and connectors for 450.

I am a big Avidine (and Chelton) fan and I prefer the features over Garmin products. They are simply easier to use, IMHO.

I'll be in Cedar Rapids all next week for work. Maybe we can meet up and play!?!

I'll be in Cedar Rapids all next week for work. Maybe we can meet up and play!?!
Sure - I'll be at work all week, but meeting for dinner or drinks should be possible.
What brings you to Iowa?

Sure - I'll be at work all week, but meeting for dinner or drinks should be possible.
What brings you to Iowa?

Project management stuff and tech meetings at Collins Aerospace. I'll be available after 4-5 pm Mon-Wed.
Maybe you know the better places for dinner. I've been disappointed too many times... :stirpot:

Martin, what is the price of the 28 day navdata database update (all of the USA) for the Avidyne units from Jeppesen?

Martin, what is the price of the 28 day navdata database update (all of the USA) for the Avidyne units from Jeppesen?
The quote I have from Jeppesen is $940 plus tax for 12 months, for full US coverage with Jeppesen charts. My plan is to speak with Jeppesen in Oshkosh to understand if there are other bundles available that could save some money; for example, I'm not yet 100% convinced that I want the Jeppesen charts.

- Martin

The quote I have from Jeppesen is $940 plus tax for 12 months, for full US coverage with Jeppesen charts. My plan is to speak with Jeppesen in Oshkosh to understand if there are other bundles available that could save some money; for example, I'm not yet 100% convinced that I want the Jeppesen charts.

- Martin
Yow. Is that for 2 subscriptions (one for the 550 and one for the 440) or per-unit? Is it that high because the subscription includes much more than just Navdata?

Yow. Is that for 2 subscriptions (one for the 550 and one for the 440) or per-unit? Is it that high because the subscription includes much more than just Navdata?
@Martin Pauly I was wondering the same thing. Nag data for our IFD 440 is around $500. The 440 does not support charts.

It's for the aircraft. Jeppesen doesn't charge extra for a second IFD in the same aircraft, unlike for the GNS subscription I had before where the second unit came at an additional (discounted) cost.

The dual GNS subscription was $610 plus tax, so the IFD bundle is more - but then the bundle includes nav data, terrain, obstacles, and Jepp charts. I'll try to see if they have a package without the Jeppesen charts that can save me some $$$.

It's for the aircraft. Jeppesen doesn't charge extra for a second IFD in the same aircraft, unlike for the GNS subscription I had before where the second unit came at an additional (discounted) cost.

The dual GNS subscription was $610 plus tax, so the IFD bundle is more - but then the bundle includes nav data, terrain, obstacles, and Jepp charts. I'll try to see if they have a package without the Jeppesen charts that can save me some $$$.
We don’t update the obstacle data base every month and the 440 does not support charts - that is why ours is a little less. We will probably pick up the obstacle database at some point or just update once a year. The Jeppesen guy went over the options on the phone with me and I just picked one. I know I ended up getting the NAV data for entire USA. Just getting the eastern half did not save much.

...the IFD bundle is more - but then the bundle includes nav data, terrain, obstacles, and Jepp charts. I'll try to see if they have a package without the Jeppesen charts that can save me some $$$.
As of a year ago, there was still no bundle for the 540 that did not include charts. However, that was just a Jepp product naming/marketing issue rather than a technical issue--you can use the "440 bundle" (that doesn't include charts) in a 540 just fine--it's what I do.

Recently I think Jepp has made it easier to select a "540 bundle" without charts, but my renewal invoice still calls it the 440 bundle since that's how I originally ordered it.

Buying nav subscriptions is like working with cable companies :)

I just got an invoice to update the full USA nav data on my 540 for $491. I normally add a one-time obstacle update each year, but the sales rep told me it would cost a total of $560 to do that, whereas a full year of nav data, obstacles, and terrain was $555, so I went with that.

She also put it in their system as an IFD440 update (they're identical), so maybe that's where the savings came from?

...and, if you're going to Osh, I think Jepp always has a deal where if you renew (or extend) your subscription they'll give you 13 months for the price of 12. I took advantage of that when I was there 2 years ago. I can't guarantee they'll still do that but it wouldn't hurt to stop by their booth & ask

I finished editing part 2 last night. It is on YouTube now:

This shows my first flight with the Avidyne IFDs, i.e. the flight check to verify everything is working correctly.

Since this first flight, I've only flown a couple of times due to my other upgrade project (the JPI EDM930), which fortunately was completed in time for flying to Oshkosh. That was quite a bit more work than the GNS-to-IFD swap.

Now comes the longer-term task of getting proficient with the new equipment. For the time being, I've limited myself to flying only in good weather until I feel more at home with the new devices. What I have seen so far confirms these are big improvements over what I had in my panel (both Avidyne and JPI), but like with everything new, it takes some time and practice to know exactly how to use it.

- Martin

Congrats on the new setup!

I also have a JPI 930 and an IFD 540 and I am trying to decide between upgrading the smaller nav to another IFD 540 or a 440...

From your videos it seems the screen of the 440 has a slight reddish tint, and the white fonts look better on the 550.

Did you notice any screen quality difference between the 2 units?

Back