#OSH19 Jambalaya and Chili Party - Tuesday

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
WHAT: The annual PoA/Babes/BaconFest Jambalaya and Chili party.

WHEN: Tuesday evening, as in years past. To accommodate those planning to make #OSHBash, we'll plan to start appetizers around 7:15 and the Jambalaya & chili around 7:30. Even if you stay for their entire event, you'll still (probably) find food left!

PROVIDED: We provide jambalaya (andouille sausage, shrimp, chicken, rice, vegetables, and spice) and chili. (We have the vegetarians well covered, just ask Steingar).

BRING: If you can't bring something, come anyway! If you want to bring something, here are some ideas: Libations (beer, iced tea, lemonade, water and soda goes with both dishes, wine not as much, though some enjoy it; margarita, sparkling wine goes with everything) French bread, cheese, crackers, bacon, sausage, BACON JERKY, chips, salsa, hummus, guacamole, desert, fruit, veggies or whatever you wish to provide. Again, we understand how hard it is to schlep stuff around the grounds. If you want to drop something off in the morning, that works too.

Bringing chairs is a good idea, but there will be some around, too. Again, you can drop them off during the day and take them with you afterward.

WHERE: same place as last year, Camp Bacon in Camp Scholler. Go out the fly mart in the southwest corner, next to the Red Barn Camp Store. Walk a block south on FOREST HOME. You'll see a WiFi station on the northwest corner at Lindbergh. We're the group on the southeast corner from that, on the south side on Lindergh between Forest Home and 48th.

TRANSPORTATION: The campground shuttle has stops a half block from us until 11:30. https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/transportation/shuttles/shuttle-buses. If you're parking, the Blue lot is closest.

COST: Free! (Yes, there is a hat for donations because some have asked, but they are totally voluntary!)

PLEASE RESPOND ON THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO COME AND IF YOU'LL BE BRINGING ANYTHING SO PEOPLE CAN GAUGE QUANTITIES! Last year we had about 70 people! And there's a big white sturdy tent to provide shelter should a storm happen again!
campbacon-png.40202

Going to miss this year. We are flying in Wed afternoon.

To those that can read this: I went last year and it was awesome!
You need to attend!

The food was great, the people were great, then @masloki gave me a concoction and then I met Santa Claus.
Things got a little blurry, I either talked with some of you or dreamt I did,
Then I tried to walk back to my camp but was told I shouldn't be walking.
Then a magical genie in a truck that resembled @flyingcheesehead appeared and granted me one wish.
I wished to be back at my tent.

I woke up in my tent with a headache probably from all the airplane noise.

I will DEFINITELY be there. I will probably bring a batch cocktail and some guac and chips. And me. Because I am awesome.

We've never been so might have to make a special effort this year.

The food was great, the people were great, then @masloki gave me a concoction and then I met Santa Claus.

Lest anyone think that @masloki made a concoction with some illegal substances in it... Yes, this really happened. I took a picture. EVERYBODY who's anybody in aviation, even if they're only rated in Sleigh Multi-Reindeer Land, is at Oshkosh:

IMG_2509.png

Lest anyone think that @masloki made a concoction with some illegal substances in it... Yes, this really happened. I took a picture. EVERYBODY who's anybody in aviation, even if they're only rated in Sleigh Multi-Reindeer Land, is at Oshkosh:

View attachment 75508

Bryan is reading this thinking, “Whoa! That really did happen?”

Mary, Becca, and I will be there, as always!

Alas, the Army has once again put the kibosh on my son's attendance, so Joe will be away sling loading (or blowing up) stuff. lol

As will Cyndi and Jim ...as always. I may even be persuaded to provide a gallon (or so) of Margaritas a-la Mexico Del Norte (i.e. California).

Jim

WHAT: The annual PoA/Babes/BaconFest Jambalaya and Chili party.

WHEN: Tuesday evening, as in years past. To accommodate those planning to make #OSHBash, we'll plan to start appetizers around 7:15 and the Jambalaya & chili around 7:30. Even if you stay for their entire event, you'll still (probably) find food left!

PROVIDED: We provide jambalaya (andouille sausage, shrimp, chicken, rice, vegetables, and spice) and chili. (We have the vegetarians well covered, just ask Steingar).

BRING: If you can't bring something, come anyway! If you want to bring something, here are some ideas: Libations (beer, iced tea, lemonade, water and soda goes with both dishes, wine not as much, though some enjoy it; margarita, sparkling wine goes with everything) French bread, cheese, crackers, bacon, sausage, BACON JERKY, chips, salsa, hummus, guacamole, desert, fruit, veggies or whatever you wish to provide. Again, we understand how hard it is to schlep stuff around the grounds. If you want to drop something off in the morning, that works too.

Bringing chairs is a good idea, but there will be some around, too. Again, you can drop them off during the day and take them with you afterward.

WHERE: same place as last year, Camp Bacon in Camp Scholler. Go out the fly mart in the southwest corner, next to the Red Barn Camp Store. Walk a block south on FOREST HOME. You'll see a WiFi station on the northwest corner at Lindbergh. We're the group on the southeast corner from that, on the south side on Lindergh between Forest Home and 48th.

TRANSPORTATION: The campground shuttle has stops a half block from us until 11:30. https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/transportation/shuttles/shuttle-buses. If you're parking, the Blue lot is closest.

COST: Free! (Yes, there is a hat for donations because some have asked, but they are totally voluntary!)

PLEASE RESPOND ON THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO COME AND IF YOU'LL BE BRINGING ANYTHING SO PEOPLE CAN GAUGE QUANTITIES! Last year we had about 70 people! And there's a big white sturdy tent to provide shelter should a storm happen again!
campbacon-png.40202
See yous there!

As will Cyndi and Jim ...as always. I may even be persuaded to provide a gallon (or so) of Margaritas a-la Mexico Del Norte (i.e. California).

I really do appreciate you brining my Oshkosh drink of choice, but what are you bringing for everyone else? :D

I will try to make it. Going to OSH with my 76 year old dad, we’ll see if he still has gas in the tank at that time of the evening.

Won’t be able to make it this year though wish I could. If you aren’t sure about going,Grant and Leslie put on an awesome shindig and are welcoming to everyone. Lurkers should come out and say, “hey.”

With me skipping this year, I will have to whip up bonus concoctions for next year. I am pretty sure it was a doppelbok last year which may have had a hand in some people becoming stumbly.

Gonna have to bail on the Margarita promise. Some emergency stuff around here forces us to take the torch instead of the Subaru and they don't allow booze in those quantities on the aluminum tube.

Okay, we have 10 lbs of andouille sausage, 8 lbs of chicken, and 12 lbs of shrimp ready to go! And that’s just for the Jambalaya! She’s also made the chili powder for the chili. There are about 60 people RSVPed so far.

Leslie’s concerned that everyone has an opportunity to have some, so we’ll ask people to hold on seconds until everyone has had firsts.

So looking forward to the week!

Just saw the RSVP. Duh. Anyhow, two of us and we'll bring some kind of snacks, high in Wisconsin vitamins.

Looks like we'll be on our way tomorrow (Thursday) from MD, so will have some time to stock up.

Gonna have to bail on the Margarita promise. Some emergency stuff around here forces us to take the torch instead of the Subaru and they don't allow booze in those quantities on the aluminum tube.
Okay, I picked up another 3.5L of Kirkland Margarita to have on hand. Nowhere as good, but it will have to do. I've given up on making my super-premium margaritas.

Sadly, I won't be there. I'll be in the sim all week, working on my Sleigh, Multi-Reindeer Land.

Okay, I picked up another 3.5L of Kirkland Margarita to have on hand. Nowhere as good, but it will have to do. I've given up on making my super-premium margaritas.

I hope the Kirkland margarita is better than the Kirkland tequila. :vomit: I tried the tequila once to make margaritas with... Ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It was awful. Even made Cuervo seem good in comparison. Probably my biggest Costco disappointment ever! :(

Speaking of which, I'm going to be there tomorrow, let me know if you want me to grab anything. Maybe another gallon of margaritas? :D

I hope the Kirkland margarita is better than the Kirkland tequila. :vomit: I tried the tequila once to make margaritas with... Ended up pouring the rest down the drain. It was awful. Even made Cuervo seem good in comparison. Probably my biggest Costco disappointment ever! :(

Speaking of which, I'm going to be there tomorrow, let me know if you want me to grab anything. Maybe another gallon of margaritas? :D
Way to set expectations! If you want to bring the fixings for great margaritas, please do! Otherwise just bring munchies to put out as appetizers.

Our aircraft is done with annual so we thought we would not be coming, however our hanger mate offered us seats in his Bonanza so it looks like we will be making it, we should be 2 or 3 if our ride joins us.

Oh and that is if we arrive as planned on Tuesday.

Way to set expectations! If you want to bring the fixings for great margaritas, please do! Otherwise just bring munchies to put out as appetizers.

I'm not nearly the artist you are when it comes to the standard lime margaritas. I make a wicked good strawberry frozen margarita (no ice, just frozen strawberries!), aka a "fun fruit smoothie". No idea how much to buy in the way of supplies though? One blender-full is about a pound and a half of frozen fruit, but only makes about 3.5 Solo cups worth of margaritas.

Scratch that, this has been the year if back and forth, are we going/not going... I got a nasty stomach bug over the weekend and yesterday we gave up our seats to others mainly because I couldn't imagine spending 5hours in a plane with my stomach and it's unlikely that the Bonanza is going to make Oshkosh proper, current plan was to go to find du loc.

Im on the mend today, see everyone next year!

Our aircraft is done with annual so we thought we would not be coming, however our hanger mate offered us seats in his Bonanza so it looks like we will be making it, we should be 2 or 3 if our ride joins us.

Oh and that is if we arrive as planned on Tuesday.

Scratch that, this has been the year if back and forth, are we going/not going... I got a nasty stomach bug over the weekend and yesterday we gave up our seats to others mainly because I couldn't imagine spending 5hours in a plane with my stomach and it's unlikely that the Bonanza is going to make Oshkosh proper, current plan was to go to find du loc.

Im on the mend today, see everyone next year!
Glad you’re on the mend. You’ll be missed!

If anyone’s still looking for something non-perishable to bring, we could use a container of hand sanitizer for the guests and wood for a campfire.

Leslie’s upped things again, and added yet another burner to make even more Jambalaya. She was concerned about running out.

The weather is looking fantastic!

I’ll plan on stopping by although I don’t really have anything to bring from my spot in the South 40.

I’ve never met any POAers and this was my first OSH.

I’ll plan on stopping by although I don’t really have anything to bring from my spot in the South 40.

I’ve never met any POAers and this was my first OSH.
Will you be going by “somedudeincampbacon” this evening? :)

Great event. Toss up between this and Jay's party for the highlight.

Did someone bring a kringle from O&H?

Is this going to be kid friendly? Normally we won’t go to evening events but we are from Louisiana so Jambalaya sounds great!

Back