Airplane camping and cookstove gas-good or bad?

Magnus P.IFR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Required
Going to camp under the wing this weekend and wondering if there’s any advice about flying with camp stove gas, i.e. JetBoil white gas...and for that matter bear spray (which I know is flammable and would probably forego).

Thanks

The problem with bear spray isn’t the flammability part so much as the fact that you’d have a really bad time if it discharged in flight in a small airplane cabin.

I've flown several times with filled MSR/Primus style Aluminum fuel bottles with no issues. They're designed to be pressurized in operation so there should be no leaks or other problems with altitude as long as the cap is tight. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd trust a gallon bulk can.

The problem with bear spray isn’t the flammability part so much as the fact that you’d have a really bad time if it discharged in flight in a small airplane cabin.
Same goes for any volatile substance.

Can’t ya cook on some coals from the bonfire?

Don't spill it ;-) Some years ago a pilot burned dpwn his 182 when a weedeater caught fire in the backseat.

I keep my bear spray inside my bear proof food box. Not sure if that would be foolproof though..

Shouldn't be a problem, though it's probably a good idea to use the solid cap rather than leaving the pump in the bottle. Lately I've switched from the Whisperlite white gas stoves to a Trangia style alcohol stove, and I've flown several trips with it.

Going to camp under the wing this weekend and wondering if there’s any advice about flying with camp stove gas, i.e. JetBoil white gas...and for that matter bear spray (which I know is flammable and would probably forego).

Thanks

Don’t. That’s my advice, based on nothing other than the voices in my head say don’t do it.

Pro-tip: Bring a multi-fuel stove and pull cooking fuel from your airplane sump at your campsite. No need to carry extra fuel.

I don't think coating your cooking utensils with lead salts is a winning concept. One of the reasons to use white gas is to get rid of all the nasty stuff required in motor fuel.

I don't think coating your cooking utensils with lead salts is a winning concept. One of the reasons to use white gas is to get rid of all the nasty stuff required in motor fuel.

I don’t burn that leaded stuff. ;)

Pro-tip: Bring a multi-fuel stove and pull cooking fuel from your airplane sump at your campsite. No need to carry extra fuel.
Lol, when I was younger and traveled by Harley, I used a multi fuel stove, and many times took it from a extra line I had just for that, lol. I had a T in my line, a small inline on off valve, and a plug in the hose, and I am sure I was doing it when automotive leaded fuel was still available. That bike had a nasty hot rod engine with high compression

Don't bring the bear spray into the cockpit. Accidental discharge will incapacitate you. Duct-tape it to the wing strut.

^^^^this^^^^

Do not even think about putting bear spray in the airplane. Not even in a sealed supposedly air tight container. I don't let LEO bring their spray with them in a plane. Put it in a wing locker, tape it to the strut, but never inside the plane. I won't put bear spray in a nose compartment.

Even seal oil has to be treated like hazardous material as it will cause corrosion in aluminum.

I carry those butane cans for the camp stove with no problem. The pressure differential between inside the can and out doesn't change much with altitude.

I am not going to cook on 100LL despite what Jim Wier says (he claims it hasn't affected him at all).

I am not going to cook on 100LL despite what Jim Wier says (he claims it hasn't affected him at all).

My stove says it can use 100LL, and I did try it briefly, and cleaned it well afterwards. But I consider that as a survival feature not an every day use feature.

^^^^this^^^^

Do not even think about putting bear spray in the airplane. Not even in a sealed supposedly air tight container. I don't let LEO bring their spray with them in a plane. Put it in a wing locker, tape it to the strut, but never inside the plane. I won't put bear spray in a nose compartment.

Even seal oil has to be treated like hazardous material as it will cause corrosion in aluminum.

So when you hauled people into the backcountry, they went without bear spray? But I guess most had firearms of some sort.

So when you hauled people into the backcountry, they went without bear spray? But I guess most had firearms of some sort.

The Navajo had wing lockers and no problem with bear spray there. For the sleds I used duct tape and taped it to the trailing edge of the strut.

Yeah, hunters/fisherman had their own weapons and usually guides had bear spray delivered by boat when they take the rest of the supplies and equipment out.

Myself, I carried a couple of magnesium flares. I never had to use one but the few people I know that did said once the flare went off the bears disappeared immediately. Seems the bright light and noise was too much for them.

If a flare had gone off in the plane it would have been a problem but not have immediately incapacitated me like bear spray.

Had an awesome weekend in the Idaho backcountry, no issues with camp fuel. Lucky to have it one night as there was a fire restriction at the campsite and I had hot coffee each morning. Didn’t see a bear either so all worked out.

Back