Flying High and O2

I’ll either buy the 870 to 540 adaptor or schedule my yearly checkup and see if my doc will write me an rx for O2 use at high altitudes.
The adapter is cheap; you can find one on ebay last I looked.
Also, you might look for a large cylinder to fill your own at home, its way cheaper and more convenient than the FBO.

When I grew up at 7,000' we would drive over the 9,000' pass at night all time time without O2. Driving is certainly more intensive than flying in most cases.
When I grew up at 7,000' we would drive over the 9,000' pass at night all time time without O2. Driving is certainly more intensive than flying in most cases.

“Hypoxia also impairs night vision. Because the rod cells in the eye, which give us night vision, require a lot of oxygen, a lack of oxygen causes visual impairment. One FAA reference suggests that without oxygen, a pilot flying at night is 24 percent blind at 8,000 feet, and 50 percent blind at 12,000 feet.”

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/1998/march/flight-training-magazine/form-and-function

“Subtle hypoxic effects may be noticeable at 5000’ at night. In the average individual, night vision will be blurred and narrowed. Also dark adaption will be affected. At 8000’ night vision is reduced by as much as 25% without supplemental oxygen. Few or no effects will be noticed during the day at these altitudes" (MacAllister, 1997, p.130).”

Last edited:
“Hypoxia also impairs night vision. Because the rod cells in the eye, which give us night vision, require a lot of oxygen, a lack of oxygen causes visual impairment. One FAA reference suggests that without oxygen, a pilot flying at night is 24 percent blind at 8,000 feet, and 50 percent blind at 12,000 feet.”

I wonder if they have studied this effect on people who have spent their entire lives at high altitudes such as in Bolivia or the higher parts of the US Mountain West. Airliners are pressurized for about 8,000' and those pilots are not using oxygen, despite being "24% blind".

Indeed! There is a reason that 5,000 at night is recommended..

Actually supplemental oxygen at 3,000 and above is recommended at night. That's to keep flow going to the brain..…...which, of course, controls your vision.

I wonder if they have studied this effect on people who have spent their entire lives at high altitudes such as in Bolivia or the higher parts of the US Mountain West. Airliners are pressurized for about 8,000' and those pilots are not using oxygen, despite being "24% blind".
Very good point(s)! Hmmmmm

Such as in Bolivia? Now that explains things. You are a Coca chewer.

The military services are buying aircraft these days with On Board Oxygen Generators. Of course, there is at least one outfit that sells a portable, battery powered unit (with 12V charger) for general aviation. About 3 lbs. www.inogenaviator.com . Been around for awhile as a medical device. They are a little pricey, but no tanks to refill.
The local paper has run a couple of classified ads for medical units NIB and sharply reduced. Just a thot.

The military services are buying aircraft these days with On Board Oxygen Generators. Of course, there is at least one outfit that sells a portable, battery powered unit (with 12V charger) for general aviation. About 3 lbs. www.inogenaviator.com . Been around for awhile as a medical device. They are a little pricey, but no tanks to refill.
The local paper has run a couple of classified ads for medical units NIB and sharply reduced. Just a thot.
You can pick these up used on Ebay for about 1/3 the new price. I've been using mine for 3+ years. I never even think about it, just put on the O2 by 10k during day and lower at night.

Back