Just wow

Huh? I didn't say he was great. I specifically said I haven't worked with the guy and that he "must be a pretty good instructor because otherwise he wouldn't be able to sustain rates like that" ...

But it's reasonable common sense and business logic that if he charges rates like that and keeps his rates like that he must have a happy set of clients who probably refer other folks.

Plus if you've never worked with him, you don't know if he's a scam operator or not. You may not like how he handled this situation or how much he charges, but calling him a scam operator seems a bit of a stretch, no?

As an adult with a fairly lucid mind, I don't have to get scammed to know a scammer when I see one.

I'm not on his side, dude. I said I don't know the guy and I don't. That he trains in a Cirrus is of no consequence to me. I just tend to not follow herd mentality.

I see stuff like this on guitar forums all the time. "That guitar cost $30k? That's stupid! Who would pay that? Build by a greedy builder for a rich moron" and the narrative just gets old. No one is making anyone pay his rates. If he gets what he charges, then cool. It's a free market.

Actually, it wasn't the prices that I was reacting to. It is his whole presentation. Dude has to be double jointed, from all patting himself on the back he does. $30k is a bit over the top for a guitar. I look at the $2500 ones and think...I am not going on tour, I am not going to make this thing sound any better than an Fender American Standard. Which I guess sort of does relate to the $40k private pilot thing. There's NO WAY, that pilot it going to fly 4 times better after only 21 days than the places that do 10k - and that includes the plane. By the time you're old enough to work on your private your brain doesn't absorb crap like you used to.

...$30k is a bit over the top for a guitar. I look at the $2500 ones and think...I am not going on tour, I am not going to make this thing sound any better than an Fender American Standard. ...

Maybe, maybe not. I didn't really put any parameters for the $30k guitar. It would depend on the guitar. But the same argument can be made at just about any price point on a standard production guitar. "$4000? That's ridiculous!" "$2500? That's ridiculous!" "$1000? That's ridiculous" "$800 that's ridiculous" I see it all the time. People have different opinions and value perceptions.

So the same goes with this guy. Someone may say, "I'm going to get more value out of this $40k PPL than I will $12k in a C172" and if they feel that way, so be it. Let them pay it. Someone is capitalizing on it. Maybe more should? I've seen the same arguments at much lower rates too. My PPL / IFR instructor was $90/hour. Some CFIs charged less, but I was comfortable with his experience and his teaching style. I didn't go with the $60/hour kid who was time building for a reason. It was worth paying more to me. And a couple guys thought I was crazy.

As an adult with a fairly lucid mind, I don't have to get scammed to know a scammer when I see one.

There's a difference between scamming and capitalizing.

Posted prices on his website are ludicrously high... I would be surprised if he gets anywhere near that, or instead he tells his client what a great discount he’s giving them at 50% off, as a sales pitch. Could explain all this self marketing/branding stuff he puts out there.

I see stuff like this on guitar forums all the time. "That guitar cost $30k? That's stupid! Who would pay that? Build by a greedy builder for a rich moron" and the narrative just gets old. No one is making anyone pay his rates. If he gets what he charges, then cool. It's a free market.
I can confidently say that no CFI is worth $1,000/hr for primary instruction, even one I haven't met. I don't care if he's Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover's love child. And if he gets that, no, it's not cool, because he'd have to be a con artist to get that. Nobody is getting $40,000 + aircraft-rental value out of a PPL.

Deeply disagree with the Cirrus pilots actions and it looks like he likely violated a few regs in the process. There was no indication the PIC required any intervention and the Cirrus pilot just got in the way and gave some really bad advice at critical points in the landing approach. Great job to the Arrow driver for dealing with the situation and the added distractions from this crazy self-promotional stunt.

The only reason for that dumb low flyby was to keep the Arrow in the shot... great cinematography I must say but completely uncalled for given the circumstances.

Of course when you see what the Cirrus driver did next all that great camera work makes sick sense. Posting the video everywhere while advising his flight training services and getting chummy with local media.

To go and promote himself with local media as if he was some sort of hero was just completely unacceptable. Looks like he got a thorough bashing from other pilots in the comments section of the news station’s website. Having watched some other videos on the guy’s site he really displays some dangerous attitudes and questionable decision making for a CFI—like sending a student pilot solo up in some crazy gusty conditions on a short runway to “torture” him.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if the local FISDO wants to sit down for a little chat. This guy needs a break from the skies.

Last edited:
Having watched some other videos on the guy’s site he really displays some dangerous attitudes and questionable decision making for a CFI—like sending a student pilot solo up in some crazy gusty conditions on a short runway to “torture” him.

“Operating ... at the edges” “like you never have before” appears to be his shtick.

https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/non_member/marketplace/f/13/t/160325.aspx

ALEXANDER WOLF WESTERN CAPABILITIES CHALLENGE

I'm conducting VFR/IFR mountain and bad weather challenge training from November 27-December 14th in the United States. The minimum number of participants is 6 for this trip. The geographic range will be from Denver Colorado to the PNW up in Washington and Oregon hooking down into California as far south as San Diego County. For the folks in Colorado and the Mountain West as well as Washington and Oregon, this could be a bad weather IFR challenge type of trip depending on luck and storm forecast. For the Bay Area and Central Valley and Southern CA folks, this can be anything from IFR challenge or VFR flying at the edges of your capabilities type of training.

If you are fortunate to end up with bad weather, you will learn to operate your equipment safely at the edges of its envelope so you know where the edges are and how to avoid them, and to maximize your mission capability. VFR or IFR, you will be challenged like you have never been challenged before.

I'm not on his side, dude. I said I don't know the guy and I don't. That he trains in a Cirrus is of no consequence to me. I just tend to not follow herd mentality.

I have a 91 black Les Paul Standard. It’s beat all to hell.......I love that guitar. When I tell you I would not take 40k for it, I am not kidding. It’s “value” may only be $1500 or so, but it’s “worth” is immeasurable. The value of PPL instruction is equal to its worth, it is not comparable to a guitar in any way. Guy is a class A tool and I don’t follow the herd either, but I know dog **** when I see it.

I can confidently say that no CFI is worth $1,000/hr for primary instruction, even one I haven't met. I don't care if he's Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover's love child. And if he gets that, no, it's not cool, because he'd have to be a con artist to get that. Nobody is getting $40,000 + aircraft-rental value out of a PPL.

I personally don't any CFI is worth $1000/hour either. However I'm not going to blast the guy for charging what he's charging. If people pay it, then it is what it is. He's not a con artist or a scammer if he gets that and delivers. A con artist or a scammer is one who charges money and doesn't deliver. He's been around long enough that he's obviously not a scammer or a con artist. Otherwise he wouldn't be in business. Just charging huge rates doesn't make a someone a villain. People aren't *forced* to pay it. Not sure why that concept is lost on people here.

It's business, people. It's not really that hard. Companies pay big bucks to McKinsey, Bain, etc. because of value. Is a business consultant worth $700/hour? That all depends on the buyer's perception of value. You should see what my company charges for software. Your head might explode. But then if you look at our client list, our industry awards, our sales from referrals and repeat business, maybe it’s priced just right. Maybe it's underpriced! And we certainly aren’t the cheap option.

Same with this guy Alex. It's business. Again, I’ve never worked with him. And personally I think his rates are a high for what I need and what I value in training. But I’m also not going to blast the guy, call him a con artist, call him a scammer, etc.

I have a 91 black Les Paul Standard. It’s beat all to hell.......I love that guitar. When I tell you I would not take 40k for it, I am not kidding. It’s “value” may only be $1500 or so, but it’s “worth” is immeasurable. The value of PPL instruction is equal to its worth, it is not comparable to a guitar in any way. Guy is a class A tool and I don’t follow the herd either, but I know dog **** when I see it.

Oh, I believe you on that. I have a couple of guitars that I would never sell because they're worth more to me than on the open market. And I'm fine with that.

There's something so personal about guitars! Man I love them. Probably even more than flying, and that's saying a lot. I've owned a couple of investment guitars over the years. Some really cool ones that I thought I'd pass to my kids. But for each, once I got an offer I couldn't refuse, I took it. Granted I had no emotional investment in them. They weren't nearly the players that my other guitars are. Some folks here would call me a scammer for selling them at the prices I did. hahahaha oh well. It was business.

And no, in case you're all wondering, I don't think a PPL is worth $40k. No way I'd pay that. But remember, there's a lot of money out there. $40k for what someone perceives as "the best" training might be a drop in the bucket to them. If this guy has a market for it and gets it, then good for him. It's business.

A con artist or a scammer is one who charges money and doesn't deliver. He's been around long enough that he's obviously not a scammer or a con artist.

There are plenty of scams around where you receive something in exchange for your money.

scam
noun
INFORMAL
  1. 1.
    a dishonest scheme; a fraud.
    "an insurance scam"
    synonyms: fraud, swindle, fraudulent scheme, racket, trick, diddle; More

There are plenty of scams around where you receive something in exchange for your money.

scam
noun
INFORMAL
  1. 1.
    a dishonest scheme; a fraud.
    "an insurance scam"
    synonyms: fraud, swindle, fraudulent scheme, racket, trick, diddle; More

I'm aware of the definition, which is why I called you out on it.

Tell me exactly how he's running a dishonest scheme or being a fraud. And the answer "by charging a lot of money" is NOT the answer. Go.

Start at the first post and start reading. It's there.

BTW, have you seen his Linked in page? This guy is awesome.

I've read all the posts here. I actually can't find his LinkedIn page (probably user error lol). I see a bunch of profiles with similar names but can't find his.

But my point is... scamming or conning would be doing a flight review then having him say "Thanks that'll be $1800" ...Or requiring money up front and not showing up and ghosting. Or baiting and switching with a different CFI instead of him personally. Or doing flight instruction and not actually being a CFI.

I'm not aware of any of those things, it doesn't look like that's how he conducts himself. So everyone calling him a scammer or a con artist is more just flabbergasted at his style and his content and his rates and that people (seemingly) pay those rates. But it's disingenuous to call him something he isn't unless one knows first hand that he engages in those types of business practices.

Charlatan might be a better word.

That guy has an expired third class medical and got his CFI less than 2 years ago. That’s the same guy with thousands of hours of experience?!

Well first of all lets clarify, I did not say "This is him". I said this is the only one I found that has a CFI.

You can instruct without a medical.

The date shown on his cert does not necessarily indicate the date he got the *original* cert.

As for the 15000 hours, someone on here posted that. I find it even harder to believe now that I've seen his Linked in page that supposedly shows everything he's been doing for the last 20+ years. Not saying it's not possible, just saying it makes you question.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, it just seems that someone making a career in aviation would keep his medical up to date. If he’s getting paid to fly behind someone on a training flight and taking a video, wouldn’t that be exercising his commercial privileges and require a second class medical? Makes me wonder if he got his medical denied due to mental health issues. It would kind of make sense.

Like said earlier, you can instruct without a medical, what you can’t do is be PIC in an SR22. I don’t think it’s the same clown, I mean guy.

Side topic: It’s crazy to think one can instruct without a medical. That really surprises me.

So everyone calling him a scammer or a con artist is more just flabbergasted at his style and his content and his rates and that people (seemingly) pay those rates. But it's disingenuous to call him something he isn't unless one knows first hand that he engages in those types of business practices.

In my defense, I called him an asshat first. Then I saw his rates and upgraded him to scammer. Hey, come fly with me, I'll give you a 'REAL' flight review, not one like all the others. We'll spend all day talking about all the great stuff I've done and how you too can do great stuff you just pay me $1800. Sure, I know everyone else in the country can do it in 2 hours, but hey, they don't get to spend all this time with me.

Come on, who takes all day for a BFR? Unless *maybe* you haven't flown in 20 years. Even then, it wouldn't be anywhere near $1800.

I've been a flight instructor for 20 years and I was flying for 20 years before that. I've never charged more than 2 hours for a BRF, even when we went over, because I love aviation and it's my way of helping to promote it.

When I fly with students I only charge for flight time, not time spent on the ground prepping or post flight. Of course if we're having a scheduled ground class then I'll charge. I do these things because I love aviation and it's my way of helping to promote it.

When I'm moving an aircraft somewhere around the country or even other countries, I have many times offered free seats to others to build time. I do this because I love aviation and I want to promote it.

I know how hard it can be to pay for lessons or build flight time or move up into more complex aircraft. I try to help when I can. When I see a guy like this who milks his students for every penny, it makes me sick.

I call that a Scam. You don't see it that way, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince you. It's just my opinion.

In my defense, I called him an asshat first. Then I saw his rates and upgraded him to scammer. Hey, come fly with me, I'll give you a 'REAL' flight review, not one like all the others. We'll spend all day talking about all the great stuff I've done and how you too can do great stuff you just pay me $1800. Sure, I know everyone else in the country can do it in 2 hours, but hey, they don't get to spend all this time with me.

Come on, who takes all day for a BFR? Unless *maybe* you haven't flown in 20 years. Even then, it wouldn't be anywhere near $1800.

I've been a flight instructor for 20 years and I was flying for 20 years before that. I've never charged more than 2 hours for a BRF, even when we went over, because I love aviation and it's my way of helping to promote it.

When I fly with students I only charge for flight time, not time spent on the ground prepping or post flight. Of course if we're having a scheduled ground class then I'll charge. I do these things because I love aviation and it's my way of helping to promote it.

When I'm moving an aircraft somewhere around the country or even other countries, I have many times offered free seats to others to build time. I do this because I love aviation and I want to promote it.

I know how hard it can be to pay for lessons or build flight time or move up into more complex aircraft. I try to help when I can. When I see a guy like this who milks his students for every penny, it makes me sick.

I call that a Scam. You don't see it that way, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince you. It's just my opinion.

Can totally understand that! :cheers:

I saw that, but I don’t think that covers you for getting paid to fly behind someone and videotape them. I believe that falls under commercial privileges and that requires at least a second class medical.

Actually I think you might be correct. Honestly I'm not up on the Basic med thing. My work keeps me busy and I'm required to have at min a Class 2, so when I can do some instruction, it's mostly advance stuff and BFRs. I've not had anyone yet who has a basicmed.

I'll be sure to add that to my list of things to brush up on.

I did the right thing and respectfully requested his blessing to parody the video.
I really hope he can laugh at himself / take a joke.

I spend 30 min on the beach chasing seagulls yesterday giving them landing advice.

I did the right thing and respectfully requested his blessing to parody the video.

I spend 30 min on the beach chasing seagulls yesterday giving them landing advice.

Please, oh please be telling the truth........I can’t wait to see that.

Last edited:

I hope you had someone videoing you chasing the seagulls.

Oh I see, you used math against me. Well that makes since. It takes about 8 hours for most people to get a BFR. That is insane! What a total butt nugget!

Should I use spelling against you also? :D

I just completed a flight review combined with an HP checkout in a 182 for under $500 including 3.6 hours in the plane, fuel and instructor. More is definitely not better.

Should I use spelling against you also? :D

Pictures or it never happened!

I just completed a flight review combined with an HP checkout in a 182 for under $500 including 3.6 hours in the plane, fuel and instructor. More is definitely not better.

Now that's more like it. But, for only $1300 more, plus AC rental, you could have flown with super pilot.

Pictures or it never happened!

Now that's more like it. But, for only $1300 more, plus AC rental, you could have flown with super pilot.

Ughhh no thanks! I would be forced to pull the chute.

I thought parody was a legally-protected activity.

I thought parody was a legally-protected activity.

I thought so, too. Mr. Alex may go to great lengths to protect his brand, might even get physical with 6pc.

Better to ask permission than have a Zima'd up Cirrus pilot spraying big penises in your yard with Roundup.

He might be unstable. I don't want to get sucker punched at osh.

Back