GTX345

Luigi

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Luigi
Recently installed a Garmin GTX 345. I use FF and can't seem to get a straight answer as to whether
the transponder is capable of supporting the FF Syn vision, especially Attitude information.
additionally, I no longer see Geo referenced approach plates. My stratus II supported the aforementioned products. Ideas?

Recently installed a Garmin GTX 345. I use FF and can't seem to get a straight answer as to whether
the transponder is capable of supporting the FF Syn vision, especially Attitude information.
additionally, I no longer see Geo referenced approach plates. My stratus II supported the aforementioned products. Ideas?
I'd be very surprised if FF could be made to work with the Garmin transponder. Might have to switch to Garmin Pilot.

My 345 drives my FF just fine. Provides the synthetic vision AI and geo-referenced plates via Bluetooth. They do have to calibrate/level it during installation for the AI to read correctly.

Ahh, Thanks Radar Contact, I believe my shop needs to do some homework. The transponders audio output could not be connected to my audio panel either. I have a King KMA 20 audio panel.
On another topic what audio panels do you folks recommend?

Ahh, Thanks Radar Contact, I believe my shop needs to do some homework. The transponders audio output could not be connected to my audio panel either. I have a King KMA 20 audio panel.
I just upgraded my GMA340 panel to the Avidyne AMX240 and really enjoy the improvement. Sound quality is better, auto-squelch, Bluetooth, etc.

I’ve had a 345 for about a year and a half. It works great with Foreflight including use of the AHRS with synthetic vision. Just follow the manual instructions to connect to FF via Bluetooth. As I recall the AHRS was off level at first. The shop set it up using a laptop and it has been golden ever since.

PS Engineering PMA 450B. Period. End of story.

Any of you guys have the OAT feature hooked up on your GTX 345?

No clue..... what’s the point of it?

I'm guessing you have a WiFi-only (as opposed to WiFi+Cellular) iPad? That would explain the georeferencing going away, since you wouldn't be getting GPS any more without the Stratus since it sounds like you're not connecting to the GTX 345.

But yes, the GTX 345 and ForeFlight work just fine together. The big difference between the GTX and the Stratus is that the GTX connects to the iPad via Bluetooth, so you have to have Bluetooth turned on *and* go through the pairing process. (See the manual for the GTX... Bluetooth on the iPad is in the Settings app, right near the top.)

Once you have the GTX and iPad Bluetooth-paired, go to More->Devices in ForeFlight and you should be able to see the GTX there. You should also be able to turn on the SynVis, though you may need to calibrate it. You should also get all of the ADS-B weather products, traffic, and GPS position.

I'd be very surprised if FF could be made to work with the Garmin transponder. Might have to switch to Garmin Pilot.

You would think, but it turns out ForeFlight is the giant of the EFB world, so Garmin smartly (finally!) chose to work with them.

The main Garmin thing that doesn't work with ForeFlight is Database Concierge, so I do have a copy of Garmin Pilot on my iPad as well that gets launched once a month to do database updates.

What GPS do you have?

If you have a Garmin GTN-series (650/750) GPS, I highly recommend the Garmin GMA 350c audio panel. It has voice recognition and you can really get around the GTN quickly that way.

If you have anything else and you're not planning on upgrading to a GTN, the PS Engineering PMA 450B is the way to go. PS Engineering does nothing but audio panels, and they know what they're doing. Really fantastic stuff.

We upgraded our GMA-340 to a GMA-345 audio panel when we added the GTX-345. It was a slide in replacement taking only a few minutes of the installers time and brought significant benefit. Very happy with it.

We have a GMA-350C audio panel. Perfect for enroute music.

We upgraded our GMA-340 to a GMA-345 audio panel when we added the GTX-345. It was a slide in replacement taking only a few minutes of the installers time and brought significant benefit. Very happy with it.
I just took a look at the GMA 345 because I'd like to upgrade my '340. At first, I thought Great! There are a lot of neat functions I would like to use.
Then I watched the video. Rut-Roh! I could never learn all of those multi-button pushes to accomplish things that have nothing to do with the button labels. I'd have to keep the manual, or at least a cheat sheet handy at all times.

But back on topic: My GTX 345 interfaces fine with FF on my Ipad. the only problem was that when I switched out my Ipad, I had to figure out how to pair the new Ipad to the GTX.

PSEngineering 6000 - one of th originals almost 20, yrs ago. Haven’t seen the need to grade yet, but if & when, will be another PSE

...What GPS do you have?

If you have a Garmin GTN-series (650/750) GPS, I highly recommend the Garmin GMA 350c audio panel. It has voice recognition and you can really get around the GTN quickly that way...

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a 750 (I'm blaming it on something in the water impairing good financial judgement).

Is the 350c audio panel a separate box in the stack, or a remote box operated through the 750's touchscreen display?

How does the 350c voice recognition work? Is there a separate "PTT" so it knows you are talking to "it", instead of passengers or ATC?

Can you ask it to switch functions and will that then cause the GTN to change page display?

Any other insights, pros, cons, what you like best, hate most, about that combo appreciated

Last edited:
Be surprised then. :) Garmin Connext does support FF and FltPlan Go (even before Garmin announced the FltPlan.com acquisition).

No clue..... what’s the point of it?

I fly a lot of high density altitude trips. Added the OAT to the GTX-345 the unit will display density altitude inside of pressure alt. Pressure alt is still available at a button push. If some already has an OAT it can be connected in parallel to the GTX and other engine monitor from what I understand.

Last month I was flying at 12,500 and started to feel light headed. Looking at the 345 the density altitude as 14,800. Nice not having to run a calculation.

-David

FF works very well with Garmin transponders. Of course, we could open up the GP v. FF debate, but don't need to on that point.

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a 750 (I'm blaming it on something in the water impairing good financial judgement).

That big screen is very enticing... And it was a lot of money, but I don't regret it at all.

Is the 350c audio panel a separate box in the stack, or a remote box operated through the 750's touchscreen display?

Either! There's both a panel mount version as well as a remote version that can be controlled by the GTN 750. We chose the panel mount version, but mainly because we had lots of room, and chicks dig panels with lots of buttons. :D Also, if you have the remote version, part of the area at the top of the GTN screen is used up by the audio panel controls, while if you have the panel mount version you can have four extra data fields at the top of the screen. I really like having those extra fields.

How does the 350c voice recognition work? Is there a separate "PTT" so it knows you are talking to "it", instead of passengers or ATC?

Yes - It's "PTC". Push to Command.

Can you ask it to switch functions and will that then cause the GTN to change page display?

Yes. Every page in the entire GTN interface has a voice command. So, you can hit the PTC and say "Show destination airport runways" for example.

Any other insights, pros, cons, what you like best, hate most, about that combo appreciated

The worst part is what one other poster talked about where some functions of the audio panel kinda end up requiring the manual because (1) they're rarely used and (2) they require a combination of buttons. But because they're rarely used, it's not really a big deal.

It's really nice to be able to do the voice control, though. Commands are in several groups:

1) Audio panel commands. You can say things like "Toggle COM2" to turn monitoring of COM2 on/off, and "Select Mic1" for example. I pretty much don't use these though, because we do have the panel mount version of the 350c so there's a button right there.

2) "Show" commands. Like I said, any page in the GTN interface. I use this a LOT, often to quickly switch to the Traffic page for example. There are also some things that you can get to display on screen briefly like "Show desired track" but I rarely use those because I prefer to have data fields on the screen already for the ones I use the most.

3) "Tune" commands. Say you want to pick up flight following, you can say "Tune nearest approach". If you're getting set up for an instrument approach, you can say "Tune destination tower."

4) "Say" commands. Don't have time to look at the screen right now? "Say ground speed" and Betty will tell you how fast you're going in your headset. If you have any sort of air data computer hooked up to it, you can even "Say winds".

It's pretty dang cool. Avionics shop owner tried to talk us out of it originally, but once he saw it in operation he said he was going to have to put one in his plane.

Back