Indian AF fighter bird strike on takeoff

What the heck did the drops/bombs land on? The fuel isn't likely to explode and the bombs would have come off the racks safe.

“Though most of the cargo fell within the airbase, one of the fuel tanks landed in a residential area near Ambala airbase. But no one was injured.”

What a way to lose your house...

Watch the video.

I did before I posted. I stand by WTF. JP-5 isn't going to just explode and when you punch the master stores button even if a drop tanks hits something hard, and these don't look like they did. The bombs come off safed. They certainly shouldn't explode in this case unless something was done incorrectly.

(former USN Aviation Safety Officer / Mishap investigator here)

I did before I posted. I stand by WTF. JP-5 isn't going to just explode and when you punch the master stores button even if a drop tanks hits something hard, and these don't look like they did. The bombs come off safed. They certainly shouldn't explode in this case unless something was done incorrectly.

(former USN Aviation Safety Officer / Mishap investigator here)

By "...fuel isn't likely to explode..." I took it that you hadn't seen that it had. Now I get what you meant. Maybe the ordinance was Napalm or something like it?? I dunno, just making guesses from probably watching to many movies

Impressive fireball indeed and quick thinking by the pilot!

What's going on with the air quality there?
Every time I’ve been to India on the flight in we’ve had to shoot the ILS. It was “clear skies” but the smog was so bad that visibility was usually only a mile or so. It was gross.

My brother is a retired F4 pilot from the Air Force. Many years ago he did some liaison work with the Indian Air Force. At the time he was a deputy commander of safety for US Pacific Air Force operations stationed at Hickam Field in HI. Suffice it to say his comments about safety in the Indian AF were less than complimentary and rank seemed to have little to do with it. Some of the generals with whom he was working seemed to be the least capable.

Back