Gas caddies?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I've been considering one of these for a long time to fuel the various engines I've got around and occasionally to add a little fuel to road vehicles if needed. Had generally ruled it out for practicality concerns but the upcoming gas tax hike in IL and my fairly regular trips into MO are making me think about them again. Thought some folks here might have looked at them for aircraft uses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...459-3992b9367a0d&pf_rd_r=YZ4Q0JR1HNZ4DHSR52T8

My main concern is at 30 gallons if I haul this somewhere in my truck to fill it up I'll now have a nearly 200# gas tank to unload which doesn't seem like a desirable thing. Only other idea I have is to just fill up gas cans and pour them in but at that point might as well store it in cans.

I’ve been looking at them for my boat. Not sure what I’m going to buy but I have decided that it will probably be a metal one rather than poly and will also have the pump since the gravity flow will not work for me. I won’t be transporting it though... will be refilling it with cans.

I've been considering one of these for a long time to fuel the various engines I've got around and occasionally to add a little fuel to road vehicles if needed. Had generally ruled it out for practicality concerns but the upcoming gas tax hike in IL and my fairly regular trips into MO are making me think about them again. Thought some folks here might have looked at them for aircraft uses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...459-3992b9367a0d&pf_rd_r=YZ4Q0JR1HNZ4DHSR52T8

My main concern is at 30 gallons if I haul this somewhere in my truck to fill it up I'll now have a nearly 200# gas tank to unload which doesn't seem like a desirable thing. Only other idea I have is to just fill up gas cans and pour them in but at that point might as well store it in cans.

I just bought that exact one for our boat. I haven't used it yet because we've been delayed in closing on our new house. Pros: it will pay for itself quickly. Seems well built. Cons: it will be heavy as heck. It's about 80 pounds empty.

I got it because, at our new house, we will have a nice gentile slope to the dock and that is where this behemoth will shine. I'll probably rig up a lift in the shop to aid in lifting it out of the truck bed.

Hmm, I actually got mine for $160 on sale. Maybe that will go on sale a again soon.

I have one because at my private club airstrip there is no fuel. I run mogas anyway. I alternate between taking the empty tank to the gas station down the road when empty and filling it with 10 gallons from cans when I stop by the airport for a random trip when not flying. The tank is heavy, but I luckily have a steep slope off the side of my hanger ramp so the bed of my tuck is just about level with the concrete and it easily goes down the ramps.

The real reason I have it is because I have a high wing and it pumps the fuel easily up without having to sit there with a gas can on a ladder. Plus it also sucks fuel out in case the tanks are full and it is 100 degrees and I think I might hit the trees with the heavy load.

The pump is a piece of junk and I may have to replace it, but what are a few leaky drips when we already sump and dump fuel on the ground (Most of us). It runs fast at maybe 3-8 gallons per minute depending on how fast you turn the crank.

I currently run Mogas in 5 gallon cans. I’ve researched these and based on reviews, I’d have to reconfigure and or upgrade them to be viable. First off, the hand pumps are poor and slow, so adding an electric pump would be my first consideration. Next is hose length, as the tank itself will remain in my pickup bed unless empty. It would be ridiculous to fill it and try to move off the truck to the hanger to top off the plane. And...leaving it in the hanger and filling it with 5 gallon cans defeats the purpose of having the 30 gallon tank in the first place.

... The pump is a piece of junk and I may have to replace it, but what are a few leaky drips when we already sump and dump fuel on the ground (Most of us). It runs fast at maybe 3-8 gallons per minute depending on how fast you turn the crank.
We've had several of those in our shop in the past. The pumps do not have a very long life; the vanes (which are plastic, IIRC) actually end up scoring the housing, which reduces the pumping capacity, eventually to zero. I was able to fix one on the milling machine, but it wasn't worth the time I spent. I'd put an electric pump if I ever need something like this.

Around here people have been strapping fuel tanks to small road-capable trailers.

Around here people have been strapping fuel tanks to small road-capable trailers.

The fuel trailer becomes a problem, as many states have laws on the books limiting the amount of fuel one can transport. Get pulled over and the fines are ridiculous.

I guess I am just a practical old guy, but it seems to me to be cheaper to pay the IL gas tax than pay a medical bill for an injured back or hernia unloading heavy tanks of fuel.

I guess I am just a practical old guy, but it seems to me to be cheaper to pay the IL gas tax than pay a medical bill for an injured back or hernia unloading heavy tanks of fuel.

I'm already lugging around 5 gallon cans all the time which is a pain because I don't like to put them in any enclosed vehicle. Most of this gas doesn't go into anything driven on the road. Being able to time it so I'm filling up when out of state is just bonus savings. The bigger issue is getting gas home and not having to make special trips with the truck for it. Also just generally being irritated at how every gas can I've bought since they mandated the non venting cans has been a leaky piece of junk.

https://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Flui...rds=gas+caddy&qid=1561949442&s=gateway&sr=8-3
This one is a more reasonable size, should be under 100# which wouldn't be a big deal for me to unload but it's gravity flow. Guess I could put up a shelf somewhere for it

I had the same issue hauling six 5 gallon gas can every time I filled up with non ethanol gas at Hyvee. It got annoying real fast, especially fueling the plane that way.
I ended up buying a Moeller (I think, I’ll look for the documentation) 29g gas carrier on wheels. It appears they have a newer design but mine is real similar.
http://www.moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/fuel-transport/gas-walker-29-gallon/
I actually mounted a FillRite 12v Pump on it and used it like that for a year. I eventually got tired of it and bought a 51 gallon tank for my pickup bed and put the pump on that.

My Moeller tank is just sitting in my barn stall now. If you’re interested I’ll make you a deal as it’s just taking up space. Since we’re pretty close as the crow flies let me know if you’d like to at least take a look at it. No pressure.

Back