Shop recommendations for windshield replacement.

Nmm347

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nmm347
Does anyone have a good shop in the southwest they would recommend for a windshield replacement on a 182? From the info I’ve been able to dig up it sounds like the install time increases drastically with an inexperienced mechanic.

I've written a lot about this in the past. On a Cessna, any shop that says they want to remove the lower valance strip... run like hell. It turns an 8-9 hour job into 40 hours. My opinion, Windscreens should be replaced according to the maintenance manual.

Also consider an aircraft paint shop. They do them all the time and are fast just by shear repetitive work. The local paint shop T&P at KSNS does them in less than 10 hours.

My Mechanic and I replaced all the windows with Great Lakes Aero (Almost no trimming needed), in 40 hours for ALL windows. Looks awesome. Also popped for the Solar Control Grey windows. Really glad I did.

Thanks for the reply. I saw your other post regarding not removing lower valance. I didn’t think about paint shops, I’ll call a few in the area Monday to get some quotes.

I've written a lot about this in the past. On a Cessna, any shop that says they want to remove the lower valance strip... run like hell. It turns an 8-9 hour job into 40 hours. My opinion, Windscreens should be replaced according to the maintenance manual.

Also consider an aircraft paint shop. They do them all the time and are fast just by shear repetitive work. The local paint shop T&P at KSNS does them in less than 10 hours.

My Mechanic and I replaced all the windows with Great Lakes Aero (Almost no trimming needed), in 40 hours for ALL windows. Looks awesome. Also popped for the Solar Control Grey windows. Really glad I did.
I am presently in the process of having my mechanic install a Great Lakes Aero windshield in my 82 cessna 206. At this point his crew is unable to flex the windshield enough to get the upper part of windshield in groove. I'd really appreciate any advice on how you and your mechanic dealt with this. The lower valence strip is not removed. Since it's the weekend we are unable to call big John at Great Lakes Aero for his wisdom. Will do so Monday morning. Thanks in advance for your help...

I've not done any window or windshield installations yet, but I have investigated it, and have seen others report that some trimming is occasionally required. Ref: Q6 and Q7 on the Great Lakes FAQ page: http://www.glapinc.com/Corporate/faq.html#Q6

Does anyone have a good shop in the southwest they would recommend for a windshield replacement on a 182? From the info I’ve been able to dig up it sounds like the install time increases drastically with an inexperienced mechanic.

When you say "Southwest" - that's kinda open. I really like the crew at First Flight - Brown Field (KSDM). Friendly, knowledgable and experienced with the work for both non-pressurized and pressurized plane work on window / windshield replacement.

I am presently in the process of having my mechanic install a Great Lakes Aero windshield in my 82 cessna 206. At this point his crew is unable to flex the windshield enough to get the upper part of windshield in groove. I'd really appreciate any advice on how you and your mechanic dealt with this. The lower valence strip is not removed. Since it's the weekend we are unable to call big John at Great Lakes Aero for his wisdom. Will do so Monday morning. Thanks in advance for your help...

Assuming the old window is out...

Snap the new window into the top track and let the windscreen rest on top if the lower valance. Check to see if the window needs trimming on the sides and along the bottom. Mark any area to trim and cut as per Great Lakes instructions. Wrap the felt around the lower edge, and pack the channels with U554426 sealant. Put the window into the lower valance and slip it into the side tracks as you push in the window. Along the top track use thin sheet rock knives between the top of the window and the snap track. I used 3 of these one on each side and one in the center. once the window is in, pull out the sheetrock knives and the track with snap around the raised ridge of the window.

Do not use PRC or other external sealant on the windscreen, thou other windows using PRC sealant is OK. The windscreen needs to move and it does flex. Cessna ships factory new 206's with U554426 used in the channels and PRC used around all windows except for the windscreen.

I posted a Blog entry about how mine were replaced using this Cessna service manual method. PM me if you have more questions and perhaps we can talk by phone it helpful.

Window Replacement Blog: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/windows/

-David

Last edited:

I would like to know how you made out getting the windshield into the top groove. I'm just preparing to replace my C-180 with a Great Lakes windshield. Did you cut your windshield horizontally like NordicDave suggested. I was wondering if the windshield comes out in one piece after being cut.
Thanks Pat.

Great info! I replaced all windows once. We did however remove the lower strip. Be sure to check for corrosion in the lower area. This is an excellent time to address that.
All windows were done in just under 40 hours. Two full weekends.

Back