Alcoholism question on medical exam

how much out of pocket are we talking? I did find a examiner close to me in pensacola fl

how much out of pocket are we talking? I did find a examiner close to me in pensacola fl

Plan for several months and several thousand dollars at a minimum, with no guarantee of approval.

The question is "Have you ever been diagnosed with, had, or do you presently have...alcohol dependence or abuse." The problem arises when you try to find a definition of alcohol abuse, which can range from a single night of binge drinking in college to long term heavy use of alcohol depending on your source. So where on this spectrum is the FAA's definition of abuse? It matters.

From the sounds of it, I may scratch my future flying endeavors
I would not be too hasty... at least not before you have a face to face consult with Dr. Lou Fowler at Pensacola (since you said he is close to you).

Not that long ago, he shared a positive result where he helped a future Naval Aviator gain their medical certification after they got twisted around the alcohol axle. While it wasn't a quick or low cost journey, it was done. So Dr. Lou definitely knows the steps to help those who seek his help.

A mantra frequently said is "OWN YOUR MEDICAL" which includes obtaining all necessary information and education about your situation and what is needed to obtain/retain your medical.

Deciding to toss your dream overboard without obtaining the full and correct details and education is very likely doing yourself a disservice.

I would not be too hasty... at least not before you have a face to face consult with Dr. Lou Fowler at Pensacola (since you said he is close to you).

Not that long ago, he shared a positive result where he helped a future Naval Aviator gain their medical certification after they got twisted around the alcohol axle. While it wasn't a quick or low cost journey, it was done. So Dr. Lou definitely knows the steps to help those who seek his help.

A mantra frequently said is "OWN YOUR MEDICAL" which includes obtaining all necessary information and education about your situation and what is needed to obtain/retain your medical.

Deciding to toss your dream overboard without obtaining the full and correct details and education is very likely doing yourself a disservice.

do you think Dr Lou will chime in?

do you think Dr Lou will chime in?
Possibly. But the more proactive approach is to make an appointment with him and converse in person or over the phone.

Last edited:
I am wanting to start my private pilot training in early 2013. I was reviewing the medical exam and the question regarding alcoholism and wanting the forums opinion to see if i will have a problem passing. and if so, how to overcome to pursue my dream of being a pilot.

i considered myself a social drinker. in june of 2010 i lost my job and began to drink more often. (no DUI's, etc) i went in for a regular physical in september 2010 and my liver counts were out of line and my doc recommended i cut back or quit. so i quit completely in early 2011 without any treatment, but i became a friend of bill w. My health is great. passed my annual physical in july of 2011 with flying colors and looking forward to my next in july. Should i expect any problems with the FAA exam?
Unless you were diagnosed, treated or arrested, keep your piehole shut. It's between you and God.

Ummmm, @mryan75, you do realize you responded to an Unregistered post from May of 2012? Kinda doubt that individual will see what you shared.

Anyhow, what you said is contrary to the better advice from Dr. Bruce Chien in Post #16.

Ummmm, @mryan75, you do realize you responded to an Unregistered post from May of 2012? Kinda doubt that individual will see what you shared.

Anyhow, what you said is contrary to the better advice from Dr. Bruce Chien in Post #16.
How was I supposed to know? It popped up, I answered. And my recommendation is not contrary to anything Bruce wrote. Should you volunteer damning information to the FAA if you are not compelled to do so? I'm not talking about holding back a disqualifying condition. If you weren't diagnosed, treated or charged, why on God's green earth would you volunteer potentially disqualifying information?

I’m sorry I didn’t Realize this thread was as old as it was

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back