Apps helping uninformed whiners complain to the FAA?

Landing Fees

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Landing Fees
So I made the mistake of joining "Nextdoor" which is on par with the political/emotional debates that made me leave Facebookz.

I am certain that in other areas of the county you have the same type of folks that complain about airport noise. Now we have apps like flight radar to prove that "they are purposely flying over my house", as a local resident stated when she came into the flight school. She told the manager that she had a list of tail numbers of people flying over her house and by golly he better do something about it! "Ma'am, there are over 300 planes on this airport and they don't all belong to the flight school".

So now I am more mocking than educating Nextdoor that it would be inappropriate to start an enforcement action on a guy that dips down to 999 feet (anything below 1000' is dangerously low) when you don't know what the hell you are talking about while ignoring the folks running relights, swerving in and out of traffic and running stop-signs.

Have a great day and make sure you fly at least 1001 above the ground.

The FSDOs around the country are understaffed right now anyway. If they did follow up on every complaint of someone at 999 feet, we would be long dead before they got around to it.

But but she will have a screen shot to eliminate the "he said she said". Surely the has to be worth something!

I’m confused. You started the thread with a question and posted only statements.

It is not news that some people feel the reason they were put on this earth is to complain about aircraft noise.

'cept that my transponder out altitude does not match the corrected for barometer altitude.
And, exactly how high is GL?

I googled the lady’s name, she has been complaining about airport noise since she bought her house in 2012. I thought I was having a discussion with a reasonable person until I figured out I wasn’t. She posted an FAA guys address and I mentioned that he probably looks forward to your daily emails. Colorado has gone full, well you know what.

Wow! Where does it stop?

I'd like a button that lets me send complaints about barking dogs!

Where's the button that lets me complain about stupid complaints?

I try to fly neighborly whenever possible and certainly fly by published noise abatement routes, but in my heart, I feel if you live within a few miles of an airport, DEAL WITH IT!

You made a choice, and the airport was there long before you lived there.

Last edited:
There are Palme cities where the local government is encouraging people to report 'illegal' fireworks using an app...

There are some airports that get many thousands of noise complaints a year. In a lot of those cases, close to 100% will come from a handful of addresses. Pretty much any time they hear an airplane, they trigger whatever app they are using and it sends a noise complaint to the closest airport, even if the airplane isn't going to or from that airport.

https://airnoise.io/

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-airplane-noise-20181231-story.html
One thing that occurs to me about people overusing that app is that it's probably going to backfire, by making the noise-complaint statistics completely meaningless!

I’m an uninformed millennial, we whine about everything.

:stirpot:

Last edited:
lol! I was on Nextdoor for all of a day. Had maybe a half a dozen emails in my in box. Nothing but rumor mill and complaints. Account deleted.

Our condo complex in AZ is gossipy enough that we don’t need Nextdoor to amplify it.

Our village in Mexico seems to be outside the area of service.

I’m good without.

Personally I use the Wifenextdoor app. Each to their own I guess.

...I feel if you live within a few miles of an airport, DEAL WITH IT!

You made a choice, and the airport was there long before you lived there.

This reminded me of something I saw when I practiced real estate for a couple years. We would always stress to buyers to completely read all the title work they received prior to the objection deadline, especially HOA covenants, special assessments, etc. That way they could at least be aware of things affecting the property, or if it was something they just couldn't live with, back out of the contract.

Every once in a while, we'd have somebody who would come back in to complain about something (usually an HOA covenant) after they'd moved in. Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for anybody who does that. I bet most people don't fully read their title work because it's lengthy, boring, and full of legal crap. But it's their own damn fault when there's something in there they don't like but they didn't bother to read or understand it and closed on the house anyway. So as far as I'm concerned, they could shut the f up and live with it.

It all comes down to personal responsibility. You buy a house in an HOA, then deal with the covenants. You buy a house near an airport, then deal with the airplanes flying overhead and any noise they make. Don't like it after the fact? Tough sh*t. You had your chance to "see and avoid" and you didn't. So deal with it.

I thought personal responsibility left the building some years ago. Replaced by (self-censored to avoid the lock).

I know a wealthy business owner who lives in an upscale neighborhood near KLUK. We got into a bit of an argument; he thought that those affected by noise should be able to limit or eliminate flights, even though the airport existed a quarter-century before he was born!
He would not listen to reason.

I know a wealthy business owner who lives in an upscale neighborhood near KLUK. We got into a bit of an argument; he thought that those affected by noise should be able to limit or eliminate flights, even though the airport existed a quarter-century before he was born!
He would not listen to reason.
Just wondering: Does this guy use exclusively surface transportation when he travels?

Lollll. Whenever I hear about this I always think the same thing: If you move next to an airport, then expect airplanes that make noise. If you don't like airplane noises, then get earplugs xD. Airplanes are a significant part of American life.

I know a wealthy business owner who lives in an upscale neighborhood near KLUK. We got into a bit of an argument; he thought that those affected by noise should be able to limit or eliminate flights, even though the airport existed a quarter-century before he was born! He would not listen to reason.

New noise abatement procedure:

1. ATITPPA at 3 miles and 4000 AGL, if no response ...
2. Pull mixture knob and glide to runway

:confused::confused::confused:

The problem there is that it's probably an off duty cop that is out riding his Harley. My son is an avid rider and a CHP officer.

Did he hacksaw the mufflers off his bike and put a lot of effort into being as obnoxious as possible so he can get people to stare at him and feed his narcissism?

Back