Clearance needed to depart uncontrolled field in Class D airspace?

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
Since KCKV is within the Class D airspace of Ft. Campbell, does one need to get a clearance from one of the towers (KHOP or KOED) before departing KCKV?

What if you were departing IFR? Get clearance from KHOP?

upload_2019-6-26_7-25-28.png

A/FD states the airport is in class D airspace, and lists an RCO and APP/DEP frequency for Campbell. Seeing that I'd be calling Campbell on the RCO to get clearance before departing.

From the AIM regarding Class D airspace:
Departures from:

2. A satellite airport without an operating control tower. Two‐way radio communications must be established as soon as practicable after departing with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace as soon as practicable after departing.

Departures from:

2. A satellite airport without an operating control tower. Two‐way radio communications must be established as soon as practicable after departing with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class D airspace as soon as practicable after departing.

While true, the A/FD lists an RCO for the airport, I'd be calling on the RCO to get clearance before departing.

While true, the A/FD lists an RCO for the airport, I'd be calling on the RCO to get clearance before departing.

That particular RCO is to FSS and not to ATC. So better off departing and calling the tower airborne IMO.

Last edited:
When I take off from Alison Airpark to the north I call San Marcos Tower while on the ground, because climbing out I will be heading right towards the tower, when taking off towards the south I never call them.Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 8.03.05 AM.png

Departures from:

Redundant wording: "as soon as practicable after departing?"

IFR clearance, probably yes (if that was the best option and subject to my question below), VFR, I wouldn't use the RCO since I don't need a clearance.

Anyone based there? I wouldn't be surprised if one could reach HOP Tower from the ground.

Yeah, I'd just think you'd call the tower from the ground. At that distance, you should have no issue reaching them.

Since KCKV is within the Class D airspace of Ft. Campbell, does one need to get a clearance from one of the towers (KHOP or KOED) before departing KCKV?

What if you were departing IFR? Get clearance from KHOP?

View attachment 75447

My BIL lives near there, I've been in and out a couple times. IIRC you can talk to the tower in the ground.,.

Paul

When must you contact tower in class D?

1. Prior to entering the Class D airspace.

2. You also need clearance to land, and clearance to take off from a controlled airport.

#1 Does not apply, because even sitting on the ground, you're already in the Class D. How can you possibly contact them prior to entering?
#2 Does not apply, because you're at an uncontrolled field.

*If* you can reach them from the ground, great. If not, you're expected to contact them as soon as practicable after departure.

"Campbell tower, bugsmasher Nxxx just departed Outlaw on a xxx heading, 500" and climbing.

Back