Pilot hacks

Important tip: The young gals at the expensive FBO don't actually think you're cool....

Ummm my daughter works at KSLC TAC Air, where my club bases three of our planes. She thinks I’m pretty cool :D:p

When nothing cuts the old nasty glue try xylene and citristrip as a cocktail on it!

Courtesy of a young lady in my club who often flies with me: If you wear an adult diaper, then there's no need to ask the pilot to land for a pee :D

I got hacked into responding to a five year old post. Man, that was before cell phones and foreflight. People navigated by using something called a sextant back then. Maybe we can have some modern hack tips now?

A real hack: Your sectional is 34 nm across a short fold, 71.5 nm on the long fold and 80 nm on the diagonal. Makes it easier to calculate distance for a diversion if you remember that.
Also: Turbulence increases geometrically with your need to use the pee bottle.
Sigh... I really miss paper sectionals.

When nothing cuts the old nasty glue try xylene and citristrip as a cocktail on it!
Or WD40. It's a terrible lubricant, but an amazing cleaner. Even takes off duct tape residue.

Did the internet even exist five years ago?

My favorite business is a company called "NutsOnline.com," which, I guess very recently, changed their name and domain name to "Nuts.com" although NutsOnline.com will still get you there. The slogan on all of their packages of nuts was "In Business for over 70 years!" .... or maybe 80.. can't quite remember. All I could ever think when I was "NutsOnline.com.... In Business for Over 70 Years!" was that the first forty years or so had to be VERY slow... ;)

When on downwind to make sure you are flying parallel to the runway the runway numbers should be at the bottom of your compass.
Why would the runway numbers be on the correction card?
2_1_4_small_aircraft_panel_mounted_aircraft_magnetic_compass_cm_24.jpg

When on downwind to make sure you are flying parallel to the runway the runway numbers should be at the bottom of your compass.

Not to get all nitpicky'n'stuff, but it would only be at the very bottom of the DG if there was no crosswind and resultant wind correction angle, no? Make sure the runway heading/numbers is on the bottom 90 degree quadrant would work, I guess. I could be wrong.

Take along a lot of backup batteries, devices, charts, flashlights, sic-sacs, porta-John/Jane, etc.... that's the best way to ensure that you won't need them.

My Hack, use the bottom of your compass to line up on the downwind.[/QUOTE]

FDDBADBB-0088-43EE-BDBA-3FF43410D4A4.jpeg

I tried that and ended up in an unusual attitude, took quite a bit of twisting the torso too see it too... lol.

I knew what ya meant but couldn’t resist...

Blame your mistakes on someone else.

Don't forget to re-connect the Hobbs meter once you're done flying.

If you're flying tired, tune the destination ATIS in your #2 nav/com and crank the volume way up so that when you get close and it breaks squelch it wakes you up from your nap.

Oh, and after you have a gear up landing: ALWAYS put the gear handle down.

Here's a few real ones:

1) If you need to add oil and don't have a funnel... Pull the dipstick out so the bottom is in the filler tube and the stick itself is vertical, then pour the oil against the stick. It'll flow down the stick and you won't spill any, as long as the winds are reasonably low.

2) If you need to be somewhere on a set schedule, leave early enough that, at any point in the trip (including prior to takeoff) you can still drive to the destination. That way, if something is wrong with the plane (bad mag, maybe?) or you run into unforecast weather, you can divert and drive the rest of the way. Takes away all the pressure of the get-there-itis that kills so many pilots each year. Bonus: You'll probably get to your destination early and have some extra free time there.

3) If ATC says "Say intentions" and you already told them what your plans were, that means you're probably about to do something dumb and/or dangerous if you stick to plan A. My favorite example from my own flying: "Skylane 71G, winds at Madison now 19 gusting 47, say intentions."

Back