Best Way Around DC?

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Tomorrow I am flying from Boston to Atlanta, meaning I have to go by the NYC and DC airspaces. What is the best way to go?

1) VFR over NYC, and around the SFRA to the northwest between camp david?
2) VFR over NYC, and to the east of the SFRA (but I notice a lot of restricted areas out there)
3) IFR and have them clear me wherever they feel like it? While this might be a heck of a long IFR clearance, at least I will be cleared through the SFRA and restricted areas if they clear me that way. Just wondering if they might put me all over the place or usually clear you fairly direct?

2) VFR over NYC, and to the east of the SFRA (but I notice a lot of restricted areas out there)

If you include ENO --> VPAXI --> VPACE into your flight plan, it will keep you in the gap between the SFRA on one side and the PAX and Dahlgren R-areas on the other (I believe that's the express purpose of those two VFR waypoints).

3) IFR and have them clear me wherever they feel like it? While this might be a heck of a long IFR clearance, at least I will be cleared through the SFRA and restricted areas if they clear me that way. Just wondering if they might put me all over the place or usually clear you fairly direct?

No matter what you file, V16 is what you get ;-)

Look on fltplan.com on what others who have flown this route have received. The reality is, if you are a little bugsmasher there are a few routes they will give you, regardless of what you file. My experience going from DC to places like Manchester, NH is that you get some version of V16 across JFK, a dogleg at KEEPM, TRANZ and on to Boston.

I've done that route a number of times. Although from KPSM instead of the Boston. I've always filed IFR V1-JFK-V16. Most of the time I've gone directly over JFK at 6000'.

Very cool. Thank you. Down by DC, do they keep you to the east side of the airspace?

It's mixed in my opinion. I used to be based at CJR. Sometimes they take you north of DC and then straight over the top of IAD (I thought it was odd that they used IAD as the fix and not AML). Sometimes they'll take you around the south side. If you have a preference, ask once you get closer. Most of those R-areas around Chesapeake Bay and coastal NC are intermittent and even when they're hot, they can often get you through.

IFR is the way to go. Nothing different, it's a normal flight.

I presume you've taken a sfra course online?

I'd do IFR. The east side of DC is not too bad - although there's a different kind of scenery on the west side. If IFR, ATC will keep you clear of any hot R-areas.

I think you'll find a little less traffic on the east side of DC, but given that the direct BOS-ATL is right over DC, either one can work well. If you choose the west side, get a turn to the west as early as possible - the typical routing is over BWI then EMI to MRB, then down the valley. That's longer than a cut down the east side between PAX (R4007) and the SFRA. I might see if I could get V16 to RIC, then V20 if they'll let you through R4007.

I'd do it VFR with flight following if you've got decent weather to pull it off. Go direct PXT direct.

If you do it IFR, you're going to get a lot of extraneous routing northeast of Virginia.

You could swap PXT for FDK and go around the west side of DC, but that puts you closer to the mountains (and more turbulence).

Complete the online SFRA course.
File an SFRA flight plan: PALEO OTT KRMN
Fly the magenta line (KBOS) OTT KRMN (KATL) @ 10.5 under flight following
If asked, "YES, I filed an SFRA flight plan."
Try to eat at Gunshow if you are in Atlanta actual.

I did RYY - GON by going East of the SFRA. Basically over PXT. On flight following the whole way. Easy, peasy - but the weather was excellent the whole way. Going north, went through the NYC SFRA and turned east once past White Plains airspace. Coming south, went over Long Island, was planning to fly above the NYC Bravo, but there was a freezing layer at ~5k. ATC helped me with a Bravo transition south of JFK to Colts Neck VOR. Again very easy to work with.

I'd file. Much easier. And I suggest you take the east side of the SFRA this time of year. Much smoother flight over the Bay. Coming north, you'll get the west, but recently they've been taking us way west, as far as Kessel. See if you can stay east like PXT GRACO. And just file direct. You're going to get clnc for whatever the computer spits out, and the route you fly may not resemble the clnc except in a general way. If you want a reroute, ask in the air.

If the wx is severe clear, and you don't mind going down low, you can ask for BARIN MIXNN and go up east of IAD between it and the FRZ. Closest thing you get to an aerial tour of DC.

KBOS MILIS V16 ORW V16 CREAM V16 CCC V46 DPK V1 JFK DAVYS V213 TAPPA V20 SUG V222 LOGEN KATL
BOS ATL.JPG

If you include ENO --> VPAXI --> VPACE into your flight plan, it will keep you in the gap between the SFRA on one side and the PAX and Dahlgren R-areas on the other (I believe that's the express purpose of those two VFR waypoints). >>>>>>>>

Yes, it IS the intended purpose of the waypoints VPACE and VPAXI. I know that because I petitioned the FAA to chart them around June of 2008. It took 20 months before it first appeared in the Jeppesen data base December 17, 2009.

I was also successful in getting both waypoints placed on the Washington Sectional because the southern tip of R6613A does not appear on the Washington TAC. My argument was "How are you going to draw a rumb line if there is no place to put a pencil?" and it worked. Maybe today they might not have done that, since paper charts only being used by dinosaurs like me, but I asked for and was granted a variance for these so a pencil line could be drawn.

Almost two years after I started this one of the pilots in the DC Pilots Yahoo group flew both VFR corridors down the east side of DC and back. He gave me a nice attaboy for my efforts. Another one thanked me for tipping at the windmills of the FAA. So for awhile I had a nickname: the Quixote Airman. I kind of liked it!

Have Fun! Fly SAFE. Petehdgs N1935Y

No matter what you file, V16 is what you get ;-)

Look on fltplan.com on what others who have flown this route have received. The reality is, if you are a little bugsmasher there are a few routes they will give you, regardless of what you file. My experience going from DC to places like Manchester, NH is that you get some version of V16 across JFK, a dogleg at KEEPM, TRANZ and on to Boston.

SFRA I’d IFR it, NYC VFR will save time. I composite it

Yes, it IS the intended purpose of the waypoints VPACE and VPAXI. I know that because I petitioned the FAA to chart them around June of 2008. It took 20 months before it first appeared in the Jeppesen data base December 17, 2009.

Thanks for doing that . Very useful for those who know what they are.

Back