Pair phone with audio panel or headset?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have a Bose A20 headset and a Garmin 350c audio panel. Sometimes I need to call Clearance Delivery on my phone. is it better to pair it with the Bluetooth headset, or with the Bluetooth audio panel?

I never want to receive phone calls while I am flying, but sometimes need to make calls on the ground. In an emergency, being able to make a phone call in the air might be better than trying to use my hand-held radio.

As one of the few people here with both a panel and headset with Bluetooth, you’re probably the best person to answer this question.

I rarely do Bluetooth headset, the audio panel doesn't require battery power to Bluetooth

I don’t have a Bluetooth headset or audio panel but I’d probably opt for the panel if for no other reason than it probably allows another pilot flying in the right seat to hear the clearance as well.

I would pair both to your phone and try them out to see which you prefer.

I would probably lean to use the audio panel 99% of the time, but have your headset saved in your previously paired devices on your phone in case you experience electrical failure. You don't have to bumble through paring to your headset during that time, just tap the device name and it connects.

I guess I need to put my phone in Airplane Mode to prevent receiving calls on it? I don't want to get a call while on an ILS in the soup.

I guess I need to put my phone in Airplane Mode to prevent receiving calls on it? I don't want to get a call while on an ILS in the soup.

I have driving mode set that I manually turn on after engine start, but airplane mode works just as well, not sure if the location service will be disabled and you have to turn it manually on or not

I have a Bose A20 headset and a Garmin 350c audio panel. Sometimes I need to call Clearance Delivery on my phone. is it better to pair it with the Bluetooth headset, or with the Bluetooth audio panel?

I have LightSpeed Zulu 3’s and the Avidyne AMX240 audio panel. I just went through the same thought process and decided on the audio panel. Primarily because it doesn’t rely on batteries and so my passengers/co-pilot can hear it.

I have LightSpeed Zulu 3’s and the Avidyne AMX240 audio panel. I just went through the same thought process and decided on the audio panel. Primarily because it doesn’t rely on batteries and so my passengers/co-pilot can hear it.

I guess my thought is that that is best until I have an alternator failure and want to use it to call, but with no aircraft power, will my battery powered headset even work? I certainly don't hear any sidetone with the avionics turned off.

I guess my thought is that that is best until I have an alternator failure and want to use it to call, but with no aircraft power, will my battery powered headset even work? I certainly don't hear any sidetone with the avionics turned off.

My LightSpeed Sierra works as a normal Bluetooth headset even just sitting at home I can pair my phone and listen to music if so desired.

In my old plane I'd sometimes make a phone call to home through the audio panel (PMA 8000BTi). My wife claimed it was much clearer than calls made from within our sedan (also bluetoothed). Audio panel is the way to go. Totally hands free - you can answer and hang up using buttons on the audio panel. I'd think the Garmin 350 would be comparable.

Back