CPL online ground school

Michael A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michael A
Hi all,

I am currently trying to find something similar for my CPL but cant seem to find something reasonable. I used sportys online ground school for both my PPL and IFR and had near perfect written scores (not trying to brag just trying to show what style worked for me). King schools price just seems absurd to me for some reason, although I guess it isnt significantly more expensive than sportys was. Am i correct that Sheppard air is just practice tests and no videos or am I just looking in the wrong place? any other suggestions appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
For passing the written, Sheppard Air and a few days of “nose to the grindstone” got me a score in the 90’s.

For the practical, the ACS, some gouge sheets from local instructors, and the referenced FAA books.

Sheppard is not “just practice tests”. They are a system of presenting you with the question and the answer that is scored correctly. Added notes are there to explain the concept and why a particular answer is scored correctly of the intuitive one isn’t. Also the steps to calculate the math questions are explained.

After you roll through a section with the correct answer, you run through it again with all of the answers presented and pick the correct one.

Then once more, this time with the sequence of questions and the answers randomized.

Then once more, marking the ones you are getting incorrect or still don’t understand.

Then a final pass focusing on the marked ones.

Then onto the next section and repeat the process.

And don’t vary from the process as it works and will save you time and grief.

And compared to some of the other systems, the price is a total aviation bargain.

Last edited:
If you used Sporty's and passed your CPL test then why do you need another online groundschool? You are correct that Sheppard is only for the written.

If you used Sporty's and passed your CPL test then why do you need another online groundschool? You are correct that Sheppard is only for the written.
Oops meant to say PPL and IFR! Just fixed that

For passing the written, Sheppard Air and a few days of “nose to the grindstone” got me a score in the 90’s.

For the practical, the ACS, some gouge sheets from local instructors, and the referenced FAA books.

Sheppard is not “just practice tests”. They are a system of presenting you with the question and the answer that is scored correctly. Added notes are there to explain the concept and why a particular answer is scored correctly of the intuitive one isn’t. Also the steps to calculate the math questions are explained.

After you roll through a section with the correct answer, you run through it again with all of the answers presented and pick the correct one.

Then once more, this time with the sequence of questions and the answers randomized.

Then once more, marking the ones you are getting incorrect or still don’t understand.

Then a final pass focusing on the marked ones.

Then onto the next section and repeat the process.

And don’t vary from the process as it works and will save you time and grief.

And compared to some of the other systems, the price is a total aviation bargain.

That makes more sense. I have heard sheppard be very highly recomended but all i saw on their site was about practice questions so it confused me. Thanks!

You're welcome.... Now

upload_2019-6-22_22-58-28.gif

I am >hightly biased< but in my opinion, GoldMethod is vastly superior to Sheppard. People gravitate to Sheppard because it has become the default. That's what they're familiar with so that's what they recommend. GoldMethod uses a much more "intelligent" approach. Success with Sheppard is based on your ability to memorize questions and answers. GoldMethod goes out if its way to thwart attempts at memorization and actually confirm that you've learned the concept.

If Sporty’s worked well for you before, I’d stick with it. Why mess with success?

I am >hightly biased< but in my opinion, GoldMethod is vastly superior to Sheppard. People gravitate to Sheppard because it has become the default. That's what they're familiar with so that's what they recommend. GoldMethod uses a much more "intelligent" approach. Success with Sheppard is based on your ability to memorize questions and answers. GoldMethod goes out if its way to thwart attempts at memorization and actually confirm that you've learned the concept.

Unfortunately your website is broken.

46DF6B8A-CB99-4774-8C1E-0FD14292D39F.jpeg

Sportys doesnt have a cpl course :(

Well then, do their PPL again and also study Part 91 & 119 real well. Know what a commercial pilot can and cannot do. That’s probably all you will really need to do to pass the written.

I used King courses for all my certs including the commercial. They worked great for me.

I did GoldMethod 6 months ago and passed with a respectable score yesterday.

Back