It smells new

Very nice! I’ve got a coworker with a Rubicon that’s a couple of years old now and he’s been very happy with it.

yup...I can smell that Chrysler from here. lol :D
LOL!!

I've owned a lot of Chrysler products over the years because my brother-in-law used to work for them and I bought vehicles at the employee discount. I have but two pieces of advice:

1. Go ahead and buy a set of front calipers, rotors, and pads so you have them after you put about 8000 miles on it. The factory calipers will likely be sticky, and wear out the pads...grinding metal into the rotors. Unfortunately, you won't know it because Chrysler doesn't put squeakers on their pads (at least none that I ever owned and had this problem had squeakers). And it's not covered under warranty since pads are a wear item, even though the issue was caused by the sticky calipers. This happened to me on five vehicles. Three I caught, two I did not. And two of them were jeeps.

2. Sell it before it goes out of warranty, because you won't want to own it after it does.

Last edited:
Nice!

My JK has 180k on the clock. Its got its flaws but is pretty cheap to fix. The warranty statement is BS. Save that crap for land rovers.

our JK had 173, showing and another 60k being towed.

The 19 JL is not as heavy built a the JK, putting a tow bar setup in it is not going to be easy.
nothing in the front frame assembly is robust enough to handle a tow bar.
weight of the JK was 4370# the JL is 4280, but in this case JL has a smaller engine and lots of aluminum in the body and a much lighter frame.

Last edited:
LOL!!

I've owned a lot of Chrysler products over the years because my brother-in-law used to work for them and I bought vehicles at the employee discount. I have but two pieces of advice:

1. Go ahead and buy a set of front calipers, rotors, and pads so you have them after you put about 8000 miles on it. The factory calipers will likely be sticky, and wear out the pads...grinding metal into the rotors. Unfortunately, you won't know it because Chrysler doesn't put squeakers on their pads (at least none that I ever owned and had this problem had squeakers). And it's not covered under warranty since pads are a wear item, even though the issue was caused by the sticky calipers. This happened to me on five vehicles. Three I caught, two I did not. And two of them were jeeps.

2. Sell it before it goes out of warranty, because you won't want to own it after it does.
We owned our JK 11 years, never found any of the problems you've stated. Yes we replaced the brakes, twice in 173K, who wouldn't?
We did tires too, I suppose that's bad too.

We owned our JK 11 years, never found any of the problems you've stated. Yes we replaced the brakes, twice in 173K, who wouldn't?
We did tires too, I suppose that's bad too.
Well, one thing I'll give them, the old 4.0L straight six was bulletproof. Don't even know if that engine is made any longer, but I had it in a CJ7 and two cherokees.

Awesome. Jeeps rock!

The Rubicon is an incredible vehicle, right put of the box. Its crazy what they're capable of. I know, i spend a lot of time wheelin.

Mines no Rubicon (94 YJ), but my wife and i did run the Rubicon in it!

You have fine taste in vehicles...

Attachments

• 20180823_152727.jpg
    20180823_152727.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 38
I like the color ! How do you think my 7ECA would look that color with a couple of black stripes down the fuselage . Maybe a little black on wings but not interested in stars or scalps . Would consider top of engine cowling Black ?

Awesome move. Love the color!!
Keeping it stock or going to start tinkering???

Well, one thing I'll give them, the old 4.0L straight six was bulletproof. Don't even know if that engine is made any longer, but I had it in a CJ7 and two cherokees.

That old 4.0L I6 was a great engine. It got killed by emissions and CAFE standards (and I suspect NVH as well) and has been replaced with a 3.7L DOHC V6.

Awesome move. Love the color!!
Keeping it stock or going to start tinkering???
Leave it stock.
ordered $200 worth of rubber mats, and a new tow hitch for to today.

Tom, my first car was a 1958 Willy's Wagon, with a Hurricane "6" engine. I commandeered it from my father...............who had three other cars, all that were spotless from my car washing business.

Vjs0xE.jpg

Tom, my first car was a 1958 Willy's Wagon, with a Hurricane "6" engine. I commandeered it from my father...............who had three other cars, all that were spotless from my car washing business.

Vjs0xE.jpg
I've seen a few of those restored to mint condition, with the little Izzy Diesel they make great Toads. big box full of stuff. the jeepsters are great too.

Once the mod bug hits you there is no end in sight!!

It largely depends on having a good understanding of what you want and also understanding what it takes to get there.

My 3000GT VR-4 I modified every single part of it. Ultimately what I learned from that was that I was never going to make that car be what I wanted it to be.

My Ram, I've done a couple minor mods to it and I have a couple other minor mods I'm interested in doing but that's it. With my first Ram that I had I only had a couple of minor mods I wanted to do to it, too.

LOL!!

Are you saying they don't build them like they used to? My 1999 TJ has just over 191,000 miles on the clock and I've done a few things in the past 20 years, but nothing like that.

Nice!

My JK has 180k on the clock. Its got its flaws but is pretty cheap to fix. The warranty statement is BS. Save that crap for land rovers.

As I said above, my TJ has just over 191k on the clock and runs fine.

No kidding. My 1999 has that 4.0L six and it just runs and runs.

Once the mod bug hits you there is no end in sight!!

JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket

LOL!!

Biggest problem I’ve had with Chrysler is that they cannot make an AC evaporator that’ll last a respectable length of time. Every damn one I’ve bought developed a leak in the evaporator within a year. Then you get to remove airbags, steering wheels, the dash, ugh, never again.

Chrysler also used to have some of the worst transmissions known to man. We went through at-least two in their later model Town N Country minivans.

I assume now that they’ve merged with VW it’s become a lot better.

This 19 seems to be more FIAT than anything.
99% of the hella-Yella body is powder coat, not paint.

Chrysler also used to have some of the worst transmissions known to man. We went through at-least two in their later model Town N Country minivans.

I assume now that they’ve merged with VW it’s become a lot better.

Their transmissions were really bad after the TorqueFlite 727. That was their only real good one. In the trucks the 68RE that they've been putting in the 3/4 and 1-ton Rams is ok, but the Aisin automatic (sort of equivalent to the Allison in the Duramax trucks) is much better.

Congrats, and love the color! I'm on my third Jeep and love them. I'll always own one.

I had a 1993 Cherokee (XJ) with the inline 4.0 that went 150k miles before it threw a rod, and that was only because I was young and stupid and didn't do oil changes frequently enough, and didn't use synthetic oil.

Then a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland (WJ) that was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It had just passed 200k miles when some drunk or high idiot driving through the neighborhood ran into it in my driveway and totalled it. But I got enough from the insurance company to get my next Jeep...

I currently own a 2016 Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock (JK) 2-door that just hit 60k miles and going strong. It's my only vehicle right now, so my daily driver, and I love it. It was the first new vehicle I had since my 1993 Cherokee (everything since then I've bought used), and the only vehicle I've ever custom ordered from the factory. I took it to the Hollister Hills Vehicle Recreation Area in California and went 4-wheeling with some friends when it still had only about 500 miles on it and dealer tags. Put new LED headlights in it, and aftermarket diff covers. Planned on doing a lot more to it when I picked up and moved to Colorado and since then, all my spare money has been spent flying. But once I get my PPL and instrument, I want to redirect some of that back to the Jeep. I actually want to install a lift in my garage (which is oversized, so I have extra headroom to lift it higher) so I can do some of my own work.

I know a lot of people like to rag on Jeep reliability, but I've never had any major trouble with any of the three I've owned. It's all been minor stuff. I'm convinced that Grand Cherokee would still be running today if that moron hadn't totalled it.

Enjoy the Jeep and be sure and get it out on the trail some! They're amazing!

Congrats, and love the color! I'm on my third Jeep and love them. I'll always own one.

I had a 1993 Cherokee (XJ) with the inline 4.0 that went 150k miles before it threw a rod, and that was only because I was young and stupid and didn't do oil changes frequently enough, and didn't use synthetic oil
Not using synthetic oil had absolutely nothing to do with why it tossed a rod. Nor would have it changed the outcome given all the same variables otherwise.

Personally I’d be pretty annoyed with an engine that tossed a rod at 150k. It’d be promptly added to the top of my “worst engines I’ve ever owned” list.

Back in 1977 I had a '51 jeep. Built like a tank, rode worse than a tank and driving it on a paved road would keep your arms in shape.

It wasn't running when I bought it. I pulled the engine and rebuilt it, first engine I ever rebuilt by myself. I strapped the engine onto a pallet, hooked up a radiator and a battery and fired it up to break it in. Then put it back in the jeep. Some guy offered me twice what I had in it so away it went. I never wanted another jeep since.

That's a good-looking vehicle.
Thank You.
We have a bunch of stuff on order for it,Rubber floor mats, draw bar hitch, running boards, and a wire kit for trailer towing.
trying to decide on a roof rack.

Back