• No

Votes: 81 64.3%

• Total voters

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I feel like I’m supposed to stay current, even though I haven’t flown at night since I was a student. Like somehow I’m lacking, illegal, or something, lol. I guess this is what keeping up with instrument currency might feel like.

My currency expired about 3 months after daylight savings time and I'll probably get current again after daylight standard time.

It's harder to keep night current in the summer months in the northern latitudes, as you have to go out late when it irritates the neighborhood. It's good to get it done if you are planning on traveling with passengers, though. You never know when you may need to fly at night to avoid weather to complete a trip.

Nope.

The last night flight I did was with two cute girls from school. After that, I haven’t flown at night and let my currency lapse. Will probably get current again toward the fall.

Yes. Night (90 days) and NVG (2 calendar months) in a helo. In an airplane? Nope.

Last edited:
No. I was for 90 days a little while ago. Before that, I wasn't for 20ish years.

My home airport has a 6000' runway. It makes getting night current easy. A pilot can land before mid field, come to a full stop, and take off again without having to taxi back.

-David

I think I have like 4 days left!

With the exception of a few winter months I think I have been night current since my PPL. But only 1 longer night cross country so not very proficient and being careful.

Nigh currency doesn’t apply to 121. We just have to maintain the 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days. I was talking about my GA night currency which expired like last month or the month before.
If you’ve done three night landings at work your good for ga in a multi but not a single. Stupid but that’s the way it is

It's good to get it done if you are planning on traveling with passengers, though. You never know when you may need to fly at night to avoid weather to complete a trip.

Exactly this. And yes, I am night current.

Having just passed the Solstice, we've got quite a dearth of night up here. So nope.

Yes, even been doing some night IFR lately which isn't too fun when going into a field where the instrument approach is NA at night.

I’m not...mostly because I fly around the Appalachians a lot and those black holes at night are very UNlikely to be good engine out options... don’t like that scenario.

Nope, last time I flew at night I ended up in the clouds. And I’m a VFR pilot. Scared the wife and I was concerned. So no more flying at night for me.

Multi engine night current
Single engine I’m not.

I often fly in early morning, so probably have 20 night takeoffs, no official night landings, although maybe a predawn landing.

Tom

My home airport has a 6000' runway. It makes getting night current easy. A pilot can land before mid field, come to a full stop, and take off again without having to taxi back.

-David

Yes, stop-and-goes. That is how I do my night currency at a towered airport. But I only get night current if I plan to fly pax at night.

No. But I do get current for any longer trip with friends or family so I don’t get stuck.

Last time I flew at night was December 22nd of last year. Since it doesn't get "night" here until around 9 I'm either at work on a swing shift or in bed for a day shift the next morning. It's no excuse but that's what I'm going with.

I feel like I’m supposed to stay current, even though I haven’t flown at night since I was a student. Like somehow I’m lacking, illegal, or something, lol. I guess this is what keeping up with instrument currency might feel like.
Night currency is definitely a proficiency thing.. and I get your feeling that it feels somehow "wrong" to not have a certain currency level any longer. It also can be emotionally daunting to get night current again, since you can't legally bring pax and you feel bad spending the money on a CFI, so you basically have to go up alone, at night, which you may not have done in a *long* time.. so you end up just not being night current. I have friends who haven't flown at night in years.. they simply don't have a need to since they're pleasure only local day weekend VFR folks

During the winter it is much easier to stay night current organically though if you fly often for longer trips, this is when the Lord of Dark casts his shadow on us as early as 5 or 6.. in the summer though, how often are you landing at 9pm or later??

Night flying though is quite different, and my first few night flights after not having flown at night in a few months I definitely take very seriously. My irrational phobia with night flying is a radio or electronics failure and I won't be able to click on the airport lights

No. Reason being that my home field has no lights and it’s too much of a PITA to leave the plane at another field,get it the next morning etc etc.
we tried having lights but the locals kept stealing the cabling and the lights.

Last time I flew at night I sucked hard. Second worst landing I’ve ever done, the worst involved about 25 AMUs worth of damage. My cockpit is dark as hell at night.

View attachment 75392

Yes, it’s been almost six years!

I hope to finally get night current now that I own a plane with excellent lights.

I've got you beat. My night currency ran out on 5/20/2013! It's been over 6 years for me. And living in the PNW the days are a bit long to even think about it right now.

It also can be emotionally daunting to get night current again, since you can't legally bring pax and you feel bad spending the money on a CFI, so you basically have to go up alone, at night, which you may not have done in a *long* time..
If you were bent on doing it without a CFI, start at dusk and keep doing touch&go's until it turns dark then make the last 3 landings to a full stop

Back