Skydive Drop Plane Down in Hawaii, Nine Dead

Wow. King Air. Wonder what drops one of those......

In skydiving operations ?

- improper fuel management
- fuel contamination
- improper loading
- incorrect reaction to engine failure
- load shift

In the past, there have been years when jumping out of the plane was the safer part of the activity.

Last edited:
A shift in load to grossly aft CG has caused issues in the past, when a lot of jumpers crowded the back and upset the plane. If it spins there is little chance of recovery unless the divers can get out and fix the CG. They have to fight a couple of Gs or more to get out.

Well it does say “Beech 65 King Air”... could be a Queen Air too and the reporter doesn’t know the difference.

But if it is a King Air, I’d venture to guess that the airplane itself isn’t viable for any other kind of work if they’re jumping out of it. In other words, it’s probably not the nicest one you can find.

My first guess for what drops a twin engine jump plane is always the same, mismanaged engine out after takeoff. My second guess is also always the same, jumpers doing what they've been told not to do and f*cking up the CG.

Inbound would be less likely to have 8 jumpers on board (unless it's a rtb for deteriorating weather, mechanical etc.)

Also the picture shows a fence with posts and part of the plane sticking through the fence line. That seems more consistent with a crash from inside during departure.

Irony, going up to jump out of fully working airplane, but end up crashing soon after take off and not able to use parachute strapped to your back.

The jump pilot at my first airport job was using a run down poorly maintained 182 with 4 jumpers and minimum fuel.

Before I left they started doing zoom climbs off the runway then nosing over at slow speed for fun. I always feared a crash with the divers piling up aft due to the climb at low altitude...

Also the picture shows a fence with posts and part of the plane sticking through the fence line. That seems more consistent with a crash from inside during departure.

That's the perimeter fence at Dillingham. I flew a tandem ultralight at the airport two years ago.

My understanding is that this aircraft had a loss of control issue in Byron CA 2 or 3 years ago causing major structural damage.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20160724X01920&key=1

"After landing, a witness noted that the airplane’s right horizontal stabilizer and elevator were missing; they were subsequently recovered in a field a few miles south of the airport. Magnified optical examination revealed that all the fracture surfaces on the right horizontal stabilizer, elevator, and attachment bracket were consistent with overstress separations, which was likely the source of the loud bang heard by the jumper during the recovery sequence."

Loss of control after stalling on jump run over stressed the airframe.

Guess I'm not skydiving next weekend

Jest aside, this isn't complicated.

Pk = [single-activity risk factor] X [number of exposures]. Then normalize for your personal opportunity cost as a childless male in order to account for subjectivity.

For me as a parent of a minor in a single income household (for the time being) and my level of income, skydiving falls wholesale as a stupid games stupid prizes affair for me, even after acknowledging the two-component nature to the risk assessment as I described above. To each their own. I'm in a higher category of baseline daily fatality risk by virtue of my day job as it is (compared to all my pilot peers, combat included with the exception of ARMY deployed rotor), so I get enough flirtation with my mortality to completely appease any desire I would ever think to do so recreationally.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20160724X01920&key=1

"After landing, a witness noted that the airplane’s right horizontal stabilizer and elevator were missing; they were subsequently recovered in a field a few miles south of the airport. Magnified optical examination revealed that all the fracture surfaces on the right horizontal stabilizer, elevator, and attachment bracket were consistent with overstress separations, which was likely the source of the loud bang heard by the jumper during the recovery sequence."

Loss of control after stalling on jump run over stressed the airframe.
While it wasn’t perfect... kudos to the pilot to continue to work the problem and get it safely on the ground. Must have been harrowing to continue to stall- plane had to fly like crap and couldn’t figure out why.

Irony, going up to jump out of fully working airplane, but end up crashing soon after take off and not able to use parachute strapped to your back.
My butt used to pucker almost every takeoff in the Porter and it would stay that way until we were through 1500 or 2500 depending on airport. The PT6 is a very reliable engine, but it ain't bullet proof and losing it with full tanks and a full load of jumpers was not going end well unless we had a fair amount of altitude to play with.

And I would constantly sprain my eyeballs from rolling into my head every time a jumper would blather on during taxi about how he wasn't the least bit concerned about losing an engine because he was wearing his parachute.

Why does the media put the word tragic in quotes?

Is it not actually tragic?? Is this like restaurants offering 'fresh' fish?

https://news.sky.com/story/eleven-skydivers-killed-in-tragic-hawaii-plane-crash-11747150

View attachment 75372
Its not just the media. Stupid people are everywhere. I see inappropriate use of quotes all the time. Billboards and other advertising, corporate emails, restaurant menus. Why should news media be any different?

It is in quotes because the word is being quoted from what the fire chief said. Look under the title. He said himself in his statement that it was 'tragic'. Totally appropriate just as it was for me to use them since I was quoting the chief.

It is in quotes because the word is being quoted from what the fire chief said. Look under the title. He said himself in his statement that it was 'tragic'. Totally appropriate just as it was for me to use them since I was quoting the chief.
I still find it dumb since it is obviously tragic. Maybe instead quote 'worst ever' or something

If it menu quotes 'fresh' fish my first thought is that it's not actually fresh, not that they're quoting what the chef says

I'm not Rhodes scholar but using quotations to quote a single word seems bush league. The fire chief said it was tragic conveys exactly the same message with exactly the same impact as the the fire chief said it was 'tragic'. I cannot imagine anyone being upset if the word tragic isn't in quotes in that context but maybe I just lack imagination.

I'm not Rhodes scholar but using quotations to quote a single word seems bush league. The fire chief said it was tragic conveys exactly the same message with exactly the same impact as the the fire chief said it was 'tragic'. I cannot imagine anyone being upset if the word tragic isn't in quotes in that context but maybe I just lack imagination.
Exactly! It's completely stupid.. there is no reason that word has to be in quotes, putting it in quotes makes it look like it is not actually tragic

At least they did not call it a Cessna

It's simply there to let you know it's being quoted. Basic grammar stuff.

And you're obviously not a Rhodes Scholar because a Rhodes Scholar would know this. :D

It's simply there to let you know it's being quoted. Basic grammar stuff.
But that 'simply' doesn't add any value in this case, just like it did not add any value here either

You generally put quotes around a quote. That's kinda the idea.

Back