Is there a way to make these full scale?

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
If I only could turn these into real full scale that would be amazing .

Attachments

• 2D7EDF26-25FE-4E11-AD71-D9D35467B80C.jpeg
    2D7EDF26-25FE-4E11-AD71-D9D35467B80C.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 242
If they do somehow become full scale, you'll need a much bigger hangar with much bigger hangers. Also, full scale electric flight is not very sustainable at this point, nor is a full scale foam wing, so for now just keep flying the rc versions.

I never got bit by the RC model bug. And it wasn't for lack of trying. Still have a half finished cub in the basement. I could absolutely finish it, but I won't. And I think the reason is because I've realized that once its done, all I'll ever be able to do with it is fly it around the pattern. No one makes an RC plane that can go 200 miles and return. Or if they do, they're certainly not cheap and easy to build.

I see these guys that put so much time and effort and money into building hyper accurate and realistic giant scale RC planes and my only thought is why not just build an actual plane that you can sit in and fly instead.

Here’s a few of mine. Getting fpv setup soon.

Attachments

• FA86F350-9EFD-4784-9902-F36BF624CEBD.jpeg
    FA86F350-9EFD-4784-9902-F36BF624CEBD.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 27
That is so cool! Never did RC planes, but was involved with model rocketry as a kid and loved it. Haven't done it in years, though. Always thought it would be cool to find a high powered rocketry club and check it out.

One of the latest bugs to bite me (aside from flying) is Battlebots. That would be so cool to get involved somehow in helping to build a full size bot, except I have no practical mechanical engineering skills. Fun to watch, though.

. This vid seems related to original thread topic. He used some really big rc motors.

Last edited:
I thought he was talking about the hanging ropes. Would save a lot of hangar square footage if we could park them like that.

Hanging full size planes from their empennage??

Would be better to develop a multi level hangar like the car garages/parking decks with an elevator system.

I used to work on the scooters (A-4). Always wanted to fly one. As small as those wings are, I've seen one take the short-field wire with the outboard 1/3 of his wing gone. The pilot said it flew just fine. But, I'm guessing he was a little shaken up by the way he shut down-hopped out of the cockpit and slid to the ground without waiting for a boarding ladder or pins for the seat.

I never got bit by the RC model bug

I did, many years ago. Bought a $300 RTF plane but couldn't afford lessons and eventually got tired of repairing it after each inevitable crash, every time I flew it. So I quit.

They really should make a freebie phone version of RealFlight as a training aid/gateway drug.

There are rc training airplanes with self recovering with a flick of a switch if your going to crash.
Even your 90 yr grandma can learn to fly with all the advance self recovery built into these things.
Times has changed since I learned early 80’s.

I could’ve bought a full scale plane with what I’ve spent on RC planes. You’re gonna crash at some point. Even with the gyro stability / SAFE planes they’ll be bad landings or you’ll get overconfident and crash. I’ve balled up probably a couple dozen over the years.

Agree if you fly them they are going to crash at some point or fall apart from old age. With the advances of rc electronics the odds of crashing from electronic failures is more rare these days. Dumb thumbing into the ground is still an issue lol.

I did, many years ago. Bought a $300 RTF plane but couldn't afford lessons and eventually got tired of repairing it after each inevitable crash, every time I flew it. So I quit.

When I was still working we had a group that would go out to a corner of the property and fly RC at lunch. The two times they were dumb enough to let me try I crashed. I've never bent metal on a full scale plane, but I'm perfect with RC. :D

I flew RC for fun in the Navy. Funny how are our flying fields were right under the pattern at Naval air stations and nobody got their panties in a twist about it. We would even fly off the taxi way at one particular OLF when no jets were around (I'll bet Brien remembers this).

Agree if you fly them they are going to crash at some point or fall apart from old age....
y

My first .40 size RC trainer augured in because the elevator control horn literally pulled out of the balsa wood. My friend watched it go in and said after looking at it, "hey you should've wipe the thing down once in awhile. The tail is saturated with oily exhaust!" I generally learned things the hard way back then.

Back