Bought a new to me airplane, registration is wrong, still airworthy?

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
I bought an airplane and did the registration with the FAA. I got it back and my name is misspelled on it. I was planning to get transition training with a CFI but I don't know if the airplane is technically airworthy. Of course safety isn't affected, but if something happened could insurance throw a fit and not pay or could the FAA say the airplane wasn't airworthy at the time of flight?

I could wait for the new registration to come back but it's not a quick process and I was itching to fly. Thanks in advance for the responses.

I bought an airplane and did the registration with the FAA. I got it back and my name is misspelled on it. I was planning to get transition training with a CFI but I don't know if the airplane is technically airworthy. Of course safety isn't affected, but if something happened could insurance throw a fit and not pay or could the FAA say the airplane wasn't airworthy at the time of flight?

I could wait for the new registration to come back but it's not a quick process and I was itching to fly. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Go fly your new airplane like you stole it!!

Fly it. More importantly, what plane? And we need some pics :)

Fly your airplane. You can correct the spelling of your name when you renew your registration in three years. Heck, my airplane isn't even registered to me, it's registered to my LLC.

It's a tri-pacer, nothing fancy. I've never flown one before, most of my time is in 172s. Ought to be interesting.

All the above is true, but you still have to have a valid registration to fly the plane. The question is, is the registration valid with a misspelling. I’d say yes, but I’m not a lawyer nor do I work for the Faa.

Here is a perfect opportunity to inject some aviation safety and risk management training. :D

The process of submitting the registration was successfully completed, otherwise they would not have issued it.

You did not intentionally misspell your name; nobody would. It was an error. It may not have been you who made the error, since there are other humans involved in the process!

Most likely it was a slip, as explained in the following excerpt from AviationKnowledge:

Types of human error
The simplest catergorisation of human error would be to split them into errors of omission or commission (Kern, 1998).

• Omission - Errors of omission occur when crew members fail to carryout a required task.
  • Commision - Errors of commission occur when crew members carryout a task incorrectly or do something that is not required.
Later researchers further differentiated human error as (Strauch, 2004: Reason, 1990);

• Slips - Which occur as the result of minor errors of execution.
  • Lapses - Which occur when a pilot becomes distracted and doesn’t complete a task or omits a step whilst performing it.
  • Mistakes - Which occur when actions conform to an inadequate plan.
  • Violations - Which occur where actions deviate from safe procedures standards or rules, be they deliberate or erroneous.

"Errare Humanum Est- To Err is Human"

I suggest calling aircraft records in OKC and having it fixed. In the meantime, carry your copy of the application with the registration on the aircraft. That way on the slim chance you get ramped checked and it is questioned, it will be easily explained. Of course, on a ramp check your registration and airworthiness get checked for their presence and that the aircraft model, registration, and serial numbers jive. The ASI normally could care less how the owner’s name is represented.

Fly your airplane. You can correct the spelling of your name when you renew your registration in three years. Heck, my airplane isn't even registered to me, it's registered to my LLC.
Is the LLC's name misspelled?

I suggest calling aircraft records in OKC and having it fixed. In the meantime, carry your copy of the application with the registration on the aircraft. That way on the slim chance you get ramped checked and it is questioned, it will be easily explained. Of course, on a ramp check your registration and airworthiness get checked for their presence and that the aircraft model, registration, and serial numbers jive. The ASI normally could care less how the owner’s name is represented.

Just tell them you rented the plane from a person with a similar name that is spelled different than yours? They don't track down the owner on a ramp check, right?

Just tell them you rented the plane from a person with a similar name that is spelled different than yours? They don't track down the owner on a ramp check, right?

Correct. And with all of the possible legal entities that it could be under as well as possibly bring a rental or loaner, it’s far too complicated of a matter for a simple ramp check.

The big three things paperwork wise normally checked on the aircraft are:
Is the registration current?
Does the aircraft have an Airworthiness Certificate?
Does the info on the two docs match the aircraft?

The ASI might also look at the POH and W&B but that is far less common. Still you must have them.

For the pilot, it’s pilot certificate, photo ID, and medical. The first two are absolute musts and the third is dependent upon whether you have one or are required to have one. Remember that for Basic Med there is no requirement to carry it and if you are flying LSA, there’s no requirement to have one.

The only additional thing is if you are a solo student pilot then you must also have your logbook with proper endorsements.

It’s really a simple and painless process as long as you can manage to do something as simple as carrying the right few pieces of paper or plastic.

You have 90 days from the date the FAA receives and accepts the first form.

Call the FAA if you’re worried. I found them quite helpful.

(866) 762-9434

Registration and airworthiness are two separate issues. That's why there are two pieces of paper.
NOT the issue!
It's not Airworthy until You have ALL the paperwork in place.

You are wrong.
Indeed.

Removing the airworthiness certificate from a plane does not make it not airworthy. But it does make it illegal to fly the plane until you put it back. Same with all the other AROW documents.

Tom, I'm sure you haven't spell checked the registration on every plane you've given an annual before signing off on it...

ROTFL

From a practical (not a legal) perspective, if you get ramp checked the ASI is likely simply looking to see that the registration is in the airplane and isn't expired. They don't care who it's registered to, as long as it's registered and current. If the ASI decides to pop you over a misspelled name on the registration, you were gonna get violated anyway (he was looking for something, anything).

Could the miss-spelling on the registration affect insurance?

Tom, I'm sure you haven't spell checked the registration on every plane you've given an annual before signing off on it...

ROTFL
Sure as hell have made certain all the paper work was complete and in place.

Actually, it is you who needs to seek help to better understand the regulations and guidance since you obviously are struggling to comprehend it.
I understand the guidance given by my PMI and what's stated at every IA renewal seminar I've attended.
When you get your IA you'll get the same guidance.

I understand the guidance given by my PMI and what's stated at every IA renewal seminar I've attended.
When you get your IA you'll get the same guidance.

If that is true, your PMI is wrong.

And I do have my IA.

But the big thing is I’m not a senile old coot.

Actually, it is you who needs to seek help to better understand the regulations and guidance since you obviously are struggling to comprehend it.
Show us the guidance that says any aircraft is in compliance with the regulations when the paper work is missing.

Show us the guidance that says any aircraft is in compliance with the regulations when the paper work is missing.

You are confusing airworthiness requirements with operational requirements. There is a difference and any half decent inspector, mechanic, or pilot knows that.

You are confusing airworthiness requirements with operational requirements. There is a difference and any half decent inspector, mechanic, or pilot knows that.
If you can't comply with both parts you are not airworthy.
Simple fact.!

Not true. You really are clueless.
So tell us. how many hours do you have in any aircraft not carrying a registration?
To fly you must be in compliance with FAR 39,43,47, and 91, unless you are you can not fly (Unairworthy)

When you can not comply with all regulations you are not airworthy, that has been FAA's policy since forever, NTSB court has up held that opinion many many times.
You'd like to split hairs go ahead, fly with out all the paper required see what happens when the hammer falls.

I don't. believe spelling of a name means much, as long as AROW is met.
Yes it should be corrected.

Loading an aircraft out of its CG limits does not make it unairworthy. It does make you out of compliance if you fly it, but it does not make you, or the plane unairworthy. Same is true of the registration.

Unairworthy is not a catch all term for anything out of compliance. The word airworthy has a specific meaning. An IA should understand what that meaning is, and they shouldn’t try to confuse other people about it, they should try to help them understand it better.

Last edited:
14 CFR, Part 3, Subpart A, § 3.5 defines the term airworthy:

Airworthy means the aircraft conforms to its type design and is in a condition for safe operation.

The "A" in AROW stands for "Airworthiness certificate", the "R" stands for "Registration". To fly legally you need both, but don't conflate the two because they are distinctly different.

Back