Newbie to aviation- best track to corporate pilot?

aggie168

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
aggie168
Hi everyone!

I am a 21 yr. old female graduating with an undergrad degree this December. I had plans do apply to medical school but quite frankly, thats a path my parents had picked for me and I have no true desire to do it. I've been a little lost on what I want to do with life and the aviation field peaked my interest. I have zero knowledge on planes and am not the typical person who has known all about planes since childhood and has wanted to be a pilot for years. My lack of knowledge on planes makes taking this path very daunting but, I did take a discovery flight after gaining an initial interest in the field and LOVED it. Plus, I've always been the weirdo who doesn't hate the flight part of vacations! My main concern with a pilot job had always been the typical cons of airline piloting since I do want kids down the line however, I have come across corporate piloting and it has really sparked my interest.

I'm essentially looking for some guidance on where to go from here. First and foremost, I want to know how common good corporate pilot jobs are. If it is an ultra competitive niche that's as hard to get into as a surgeon residency then, I may have to rethink aviation. But if it is feasible... what is my best plan from here on forward...

What FAA certificates and aviation education should I be aiming for? PPL and CPL I have gathered- anything beyond that? From the limited research I've done, I think a corporate job right out of flight school is not likely due to the high amount of hours needed so what would be the best job to gain hours and build a resume to reach corporate? CFi?

Are most corporate jobs based out of major cities? I know the typical corporate job is something along the lines of X hard days off with ~15 days of actual flying and on call the rest. But is there extended vacation time as well (will vary by company/client I know but in general)? I am an avid traveler and would like to be able to take the occasional international trip which, is not exactly ideal with only a week of hard time off.

Are most corporate jobs from companies? Or individual people, like celebrities or the elite, who own private jets?

Sorry, I know it is a lot of questions! I do plan on going back to the flight school I did my discovery flight at to get more info in person too. Any help at all is greatly appreciated! (For the record, I have perfect vision and am in good health so medical examination should be a non-issue)

I'm sure some others with actual experience will chime in soon, but in the meantime:

Yes, you'll have to go through the typical PPL-Commercial training, and then build up as much turbine and/or multi-engine time as you can get. Whether that's flying freight or other single-pilot ops it doesn't really matter. The most common route if you don't land a job with a small commercial outfit is to get you CFI and teach until you build up enough hours to be marketable. With corporate aviation, it seems to be equal parts luck and good networking to land a job as a low-time commercial pilot. Those jobs are out there, it's not like finding a needle in a haystack per say, but they often get snatched up by word of mouth, not posting on the open job market. Others will know more about the appropriate amount and type of flight time needed before they'll look at you seriously.

Most will be based out of major cities because that's where the money is. Some will be privately owned/operated by a company, but a lot are flown as charter/leased aircraft. Corporate aviation is typically a lot less of a fixed schedule, so you might have to be flexible. I'd imagine you'd spend a lot of time "on call" with short notice, but some trips are known well in advance.

Hi aggie168,

Welcome to POA. It's like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get.

I don't know much about corporate pilot jobs, but they do exist. I did a search for corporate pilot wanted, and came up with quite a few job boards that have corporate pilot positions.

As far as the medical, perfect vision, and health is a good starting point, but there are other factors to consider. I haven't seen one, but you'll want to search for a MedicalExpress form, and fill one out, but don't submit it, yet. You'll want to ping Dr. Bruce on medical topics for better advice.

Besides PPL and commercial, you'll need, at the least, an IFR. You'll also want a multi-engine rating, and turbine experience, plus a lot of hours. I'm sure the posted jobs will give you an idea of what else is needed. Some also ask for type ratings.

It's possible to fund all your experience yourself, but most people acquire hours as a CFI or CFII (instrument instructor).

I have no idea of the ratio of company corporate pilots to celebrity corporate pilots, but I'd guess the majority are company corporate pilots.
I'd also guess that most of the corporate pilot jobs are filled through networking.

I'm thinking that maybe you find a company that has a company jet and see if you can get an informational interview from them. They'd be able to answer your questions better, and be able to help you choose the best path.

I suggest you get some sort of job relating to your education, live beneath your means while you pay off any student debt, and accumulate about $8000 for your initial PPL lessons. There are two ways to a PPL. Find a CFI at an FBO and take lessons there. They are usually pay as you go, so if you decide along the way that aviation isn't as glamorous as you'd expected, you're only out what you've spent so far. If you go through a flight school, they might want a big sum up front, and you're out all that money regardless of your result.

There's a joke about what's the difference between a large pizza, and a CFI? The pizza can feed a family of four. But, it still beats renting or owning the plane yourself to accumulate hours.

Good luck

I have some experience flying corporate out of Boeing Field in Seattle. From my experience, it is the insurance companies, not the FAA, that determines pilot qualifications for a corporate job, and it is most likely that you will need an Airline Transport Pilot certificate and a first-class medical certificate to satisfy the insurance company. You are correct in thinking that instructing is the best way to accumulate the necessary flight time. A multiengine rating is a necessity because few corporations will let their executives fly in single-engine airplanes. Lay hands on a copy of the Federal Aviation Regulations (www.faa.gov) and read Part 61, which sets forth requirements for the various certificates. No one ever asked me what my educational background was....it is the airlines that look for a degree in something.

Corporate flying consists of a few hours of flying and many hours of sitting in pilot lounges reading the same aviation magazines that you read yesterday and the day before. Your passengers will promise to be ready to leave at 4 PM but you will still be waiting at 7PM. There are no vacations; you are always "on call."

As a charter pilot I flew many celebrities. My guess is that the number who own their own planes is very small compared to the corporate fleet.

On the plus side, you fly to lots of different places, most not served by the airlines. Being young and female gives you a leg up. My very first student was a young lady who ended up flying for United but flew for a trucking company quite early in her career.

You have a lot of reading/Googling to do. Good luck!!

Bob Gardner

Corporate flying can have you living in big cities flying for Ford, IBM, etc. or living in smaller towns that happen to have a company with an airplane. There are all sorts of options and schedules and benefits are going to be all over the place, depends on the company.

Corporate can be difficult to get into, lots of networking and who you know but don’t let that deter you. You will make connections during your training. You might also consider the fractionals such as NetJets. Look on airlinepilotcentral.com and click on the corporate tab. Caution, a lot of what is on there is bitching and griping so take it with a grain of salt.

Start working on your private pilot certificate and see how it goes. If you like it and do well then move forward from there. Also, seek out a mentor in your area who can guide you. This may or may not be your CFI.

I don’t see it mentioned yet but if possible consider joining a flying club with available CFIs and solid trainers. That’s a more inexpensive way to at least get your private and maybe instrument. It would require an initial buy-in but the rates are usually far cheaper in the long run. The club I’m in the 172 is about $100 an hour and add $40 for an instructor. When I did my ppl through a flight school the hourly was about $100 more. If money is no objection then kindly ignore.

I got my CMEL add-on a month ago. I have 700TT and have been told I need 1000TT to be marketable. So I've been pestering every pilot I know for time-building opportunities. I've managed to pick up 40 hrs (18 multi) in the last 30 days. Set up camp at the airport and talk to everyone.

Welcome, yes, it’s very doable, the aviation career. No need to concern yourself to much with years down the road now, just get the 1st steps lined up. Those 1st steps could be as simple as a classroom environment private pilot ground school, some colleges even offer them.

I don’t see where you live, maybe make your way to WI the last week of July for ‘Airventure’. Few better ways to get your mind caged for aviation, take the trip with a friend or 3. There are a few ‘women in aviation’ groups/associations you could check out.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure

Just about any time you sit in a plane, $$$ is involved. Give some consideration towards paying for flight training, hopefully resources are available. The best resources don’t involve loans, that’s family help.

Just over a year ago I met a lady who had a son who recently finished ‘pre-med’. He said the heck with that & went to a ‘zero to hero’ program in AZ. Lots of things are doable, individual initiative is always a key component.

Here's something to consider when thinking of a "career" in corporate aviation. Most corporate jobs last 18 months on average. Think of a pyramid, the top paying most secure corporate jobs are at the top, which means there are way more pilots than there are jobs, and it's a tough nut to crack.

At the lower end of the pyramid there are more jobs than pilots, but these corporate jobs are less desirable in working conditions and pay/benefits. To be a corporate pilot, especially in the beginning you will need to be a gypsy, ready to pick up and move at a moments notice.

Many of those companies at the bottom of the pyramid will drop their aviation department at the first sign of a economic turn down. Here today, gone tomorrow.

The other problem of the bottom of the pyramid is you will always have another pilot willing to do your job cheaper, and most of these companies on the bottom half are price shoppers.

Also consider that any serious health condition could mean the end of your career.

I've been a corporate pilot for the last 4 years. Flying all over the world has its perks. Everytime I go to work it's like I'm going on vacation. The most challenging thing for me is never being able to make a plan outside of work. I haven't had a "real" day off in the last 4 years outside of the period when the aircraft is in the service center. I don't want to any other kind of flying though.

Wow, so much to say and so long to type it out.

You're going to need a Private, Commercial, Instrument and Multi-engine, no less. Multi-engine time is king, and any turbine time is even better.
You can fly any Multi-engine piston, or a King Air with just a Commercial, of course you need the Instrument and Multi too. But to move into the left seat as PIC in a jet requires at least a Commercial with a Type rating, and most insurance companies will require you have an ATP.

Best track, there are lots of ways to get there, sometimes luck and chance will change your plans. Build time and experience, study hard and learn, be humble and personable and network. You have to be able to interact with high end CEO's and managers, and you will spend a lot of time on the road with the other pilot/s too. Your job is to do the flight as safe as possible, with comfort and efficiency in mind.

You can fly a twin Cessna or King Air as the only pilot and running the whole flight operation, but not until you have some previous experience in that position. There, and at other places you will clean the plane inside and re-stock it after flights and wash the outside too at times. Training for a jet Type rating require at least 14-21 days at a professional school for the initial, and recurrent training is either once or twice a year and 4-5 days. That's a full time learning experience at the initial, be on your A game with regards to instrument skills before you get here.

Corporate jobs vary from high end part 91 companies or 135 charter outfits with multiple planes and full flight departments, to small mom and pop operations with just one plane and two pilots.
Part 91 companies and 135 charter places can be really great, to a few very cheap outfits that treat you as just a tool like the plane. Like any other industry, there are always a few a-holes scattered in there.
The vast majority of the owners I've met are very nice, most are laid back and let you decide the safety of flight. Some are type A personalities and don't take too well to waiting or delays, want everything just right, and may put pressure on you to complete a flight.
Celebrities are mostly in and around SoCal, New York to Miami and south Florida.
The larger the market you live near, the more flight departments in the area.
The larger the plane you fly, the larger bag you pack before work and the longer you may be gone.

Like any job in aviation the hours can be long, early mornings and or late nights. Lots of waiting at airports and hotels, if you can use your time wisely and not veg out in front of the tv it helps. You will work on weekends, holidays, anniversaries, birthdays, that's the industry and it can take a toll on you over time. There will be times when you're in just another hotel, missing a kids birthday or special class play. Some trips can be great, but some are just another hotel in another city.

Of course some things like seeing the northern lights at 39,000', watching thunderstorms at night from above, sitting by the pool in January while there's snow at home, and going to places you might never see otherwise are some of the benefits.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck in your future.

How many Aggies does it take to fly a plane?

My advice besides what has already been hashed out above (especially @Salty ), get a degree in something you're interested in while you're working on your ratings and flight time. It'll give you something to fall back on if your health should fail down the road and ground you permanently. Always have a back-up because you're only as good as your last medical.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Brian

It's not what you know, but WHO you know..............to get a job in corporate aviation. Get a job as a line fueler at the busiest FBO in the area. Be super good at your job and you will soon know all the chief pilots.

Howdy Ag!!!

Good questions to ask. But start with your Private and go from there.

Corp flying will have your schedule at the total mercy of the company. Comm airlines, by the time you’re ready for kids (later), you should have some seniority and a more predictable schedule (that YOU pick) that family can work with.

First of all - Hook’em! :p

Lots of good advice on this thread. I flew corporate/charter for six years and had a great time. One thing I’d like to add about networking - don’t just play nice with the people that can immediately help you. Be awesome to everyone - you never know who’ll be holding the cards when you start getting competitive for jobs. The line guy pumping gas into your 172 can be heading up a flight department of Gulfstreams down the road. It happens, so don’t ever consider yourself too important for anyone.

As others have said - enjoy the process of getting all your ratings, and keep us posted of your progress!

I have some experience flying corporate out of Boeing Field in Seattle. From my experience, it is the insurance companies, not the FAA, that determines pilot qualifications for a corporate job, and it is most likely that you will need an Airline Transport Pilot certificate and a first-class medical certificate to satisfy the insurance company. You are correct in thinking that instructing is the best way to accumulate the necessary flight time. A multiengine rating is a necessity because few corporations will let their executives fly in single-engine airplanes. Lay hands on a copy of the Federal Aviation Regulations (www.faa.gov) and read Part 61, which sets forth requirements for the various certificates. No one ever asked me what my educational background was....it is the airlines that look for a degree in something.

Corporate flying consists of a few hours of flying and many hours of sitting in pilot lounges reading the same aviation magazines that you read yesterday and the day before. Your passengers will promise to be ready to leave at 4 PM but you will still be waiting at 7PM. There are no vacations; you are always "on call."

As a charter pilot I flew many celebrities. My guess is that the number who own their own planes is very small compared to the corporate fleet.

On the plus side, you fly to lots of different places, most not served by the airlines. Being young and female gives you a leg up. My very first student was a young lady who ended up flying for United but flew for a trucking company quite early in her career.

You have a lot of reading/Googling to do. Good luck!!

Bob Gardner

Did someone say "...many hours of sitting in pilot lounges..."

Hi everyone!

I am a 21 yr. old female graduating with an undergrad degree this December. I had plans do apply to medical school but quite frankly, thats a path my parents had picked for me and I have no true desire to do it. I've been a little lost on what I want to do with life and the aviation field peaked my interest. I have zero knowledge on planes and am not the typical person who has known all about planes since childhood and has wanted to be a pilot for years. My lack of knowledge on planes makes taking this path very daunting but, I did take a discovery flight after gaining an initial interest in the field and LOVED it. Plus, I've always been the weirdo who doesn't hate the flight part of vacations! My main concern with a pilot job had always been the typical cons of airline piloting since I do want kids down the line however, I have come across corporate piloting and it has really sparked my interest.

I'm essentially looking for some guidance on where to go from here. First and foremost, I want to know how common good corporate pilot jobs are. If it is an ultra competitive niche that's as hard to get into as a surgeon residency then, I may have to rethink aviation. But if it is feasible... what is my best plan from here on forward...

What FAA certificates and aviation education should I be aiming for? PPL and CPL I have gathered- anything beyond that? From the limited research I've done, I think a corporate job right out of flight school is not likely due to the high amount of hours needed so what would be the best job to gain hours and build a resume to reach corporate? CFi?

Are most corporate jobs based out of major cities? I know the typical corporate job is something along the lines of X hard days off with ~15 days of actual flying and on call the rest. But is there extended vacation time as well (will vary by company/client I know but in general)? I am an avid traveler and would like to be able to take the occasional international trip which, is not exactly ideal with only a week of hard time off.

Are most corporate jobs from companies? Or individual people, like celebrities or the elite, who own private jets?

Sorry, I know it is a lot of questions! I do plan on going back to the flight school I did my discovery flight at to get more info in person too. Any help at all is greatly appreciated! (For the record, I have perfect vision and am in good health so medical examination should be a non-issue)

First find an Aviation Medical Examiner. They are everywhere. Get a 'consult' Aviation Physical. Cost you about a $150. Make sure you won't have problems getting a Medical Certificate, which you will need. Give us your location, just the City or a City nearby, and someone here will probably give you a good recommendation.

I've known lots of professional pilots. Some happy, lots not happy. Not all the happy pro pilots I've known were flying corporate gigs. But all the ones flying corporate gigs were happy. That being said, its been my experience the best corporate gigs tend to be the same as the best gigs in any line of work in that they're never advertised and landing them is a matter of networking and knowing someone on the inside.

That's not to say that getting a corporate gig you'll like is impossible without networking. Just that the very best gigs never seem to be advertised and positions seem to get filled by the chief pilot asking the other pilots who they know that's good and might be looking for a gig.

I could be off on this because my data set is limited only to those I personally know but all the guys I've known who were doing corporate had 121 experience before they got the corporate gig. So I would expect to have to do some time in the regional airline rat race if a corporate gig was where I wanted to end up.

Unsolicited career advice: Have you given any consideration to working an ATC gig? The FAA is looking for controllers and you're young enough to apply. Nope its not flying, but it is working as an aviation professional and allows a lifestyle that can be more conducive to kids and family and in many cases comes with a level of income that allows for private aircraft ownership. For many including myself, flying your own plane on your own terms is more desirable than flying as a job.

Unsolicited career advice: Have you given any consideration to working an ATC gig? The FAA is looking for controllers and you're young enough to apply. Nope its not flying, but it is working as an aviation professional and allows a lifestyle that can be more conducive to kids and family and in many cases comes with a level of income that allows for private aircraft ownership. For many including myself, flying your own plane on your own terms is more desirable than flying as a job.

Might be unsolicited but it’s fine advice. :thumbsup:

Gig’em Ags.

‘05 Ag Biz, I’m training at BVFS at Easterwood. If you are in BCS, I can meet you there to show you around. Intro flights are avail with the flight school.

Mark

Gig’em Ags.

‘05 Ag Biz, I’m training at BVFS at Easterwood. If you are in BCS, I can meet you there to show you around. Intro flights are avail with the flight school.

Mark
I’ve been hankering for a burger from The Chicken. (Would prefer the Cow Hop, but that ain’t there no more).

Next time I’m finding myself flying into Easterwood, I’ll make contact and share my Old Army stories with the both of ya.

Class if 88, Sq. 13, PMC.

Wow. This has been a lot of great information! Than you to everyone for all of the advice- solicited or not lol! Certainly given me a lot to think about! I am from the Dallas TX area and will be there after graduating this December.

Gig’em Ags.

Mark
Thank you so much for the offer! I am home for the summer but come September, I will definitely contact you!

If you have the means, I'd suggest trying to knock out the private this summer. This will accomplish a few things for you: 1) confirm that you do like this flying thing, 2) make sure there are no issues on the medical front, and 3) if for any reason you decide this is not for you, you've got the fall to formulate plan B before graduating (which I think is very important).

FYI, private cost me $10k all in, including checkride and all paper materials. Started August 18, finished March ‘19. Approx. 65 hrs. I had 2 months of weather delays trying to get checkride done. Flying Cessna 172 rental plane with analog instruments (steam gauges). I tried to fly 2-3 times per week and had 40 hrs by end of ‘18.

Wow. This has been a lot of great information! Than you to everyone for all of the advice- solicited or not lol! Certainly given me a lot to think about! I am from the Dallas TX area and will be there after graduating this December.
I’m up in Denton. I would be happy to meet and answer questions whenever you are up this way.

@aggie168 - serious question for you: Is your true interest in flying or being that cool pilot who flies powerful people around in a cool jet?

Can’t it be both?
Yep, but before you spend $100K+ on the 2nd you might want to make sure its not just the first.

For me, I just like flying. Looking at YouTube videos (eg. Corporate Pilot Life), especially when that jet breaks out of a layer on the climb out...awesome!!! Now temper that with the last corporate pilot I met who flys for a wealthy family. He said me maybe flys once every 2 or 3 weeks. Or course during holidays he's away from home (out of country). Another one I met said he is also paid to sit and wait for the owner to fly often going a couple weeks without flying. Ironically, it would probably be best (for me) to be a corporate pilot later in life after my daughter is grown up, college and house paid off and just me and my wife at home.

My wife would answer yes to both having flown commercially. Then 911 hit. She thanked her Dad for making her get a non-aviation degree before the airline pilot gig as she went back to her business job and we now have a family. Now, being at home and family is more important than going back to the airlines. If she could fly 9-5, Monday...Friday she would be back in a heartbeat.

Its just not as simple for a woman...if they also want to be a mom. Many do it so it can be done. The OP said: "I do want kids down the line" so she should really understand this career choice as good as possible in that regard. Others above have given her advice towards that goal. But even with lots of seniority, I don't believe you can take a year or two off and then just jump back in where you left off.

My advice to the OP would be to go to Medical School if she has the grades and knows she won't hate it. Then learn to fly. With a good career she might be flying her own Vision or TBM...and have a family.

If she were my daughter and really this serious about being a pilot I would pay to have an instructor take her on a long cross country or two (logging it if she wants), stop at some of the less busy FBO's where a corporate jet might be waiting, etc. Also, get her talking to more commercial and corporate pilots, especially women. At a minimum, help her get her PPL too. Then help her in what she decides to do. If she was really serious I would trade her one year of good college grades (any degree but aviation) for a summer of flight training. By the time she has her college degree she would have PPL, IR, HP, Complex, Commercial and maybe ME and CFI. Then she could work normal job 9-5 and fly evenings/weekends to knock out that last 1000hrs.

I would not recommend a pilot career to anyone wanting to be a family man. If you envision a life without a family, have good eyesight and coordination, and have no health problems or desire for recreational drugs, all you have to do is get your ratings, log 1500 hours and one of the major airlines may very well take you from that point forward.

Good luck!

I would not recommend a pilot career to anyone wanting to be a family man. If you envision a life without a family, have good eyesight and coordination, and have no health problems or desire for recreational drugs, all you have to do is get your ratings, log 1500 hours and one of the major airlines may very well take you from that point forward.

Good luck!

I would disagree. There’s no reason you can’t do both. Yes, I’m gone several days in a row but we can also get blocks of days off. When my kids were young I was able to get 6 weeks in a row off during their summer break several years in a row. You just need to get your priorities straight.

I would not write off an airline too quickly. If you started today and fast tracked your way, you could be senior at a regional seven years from now. You wouldn’t really have to move to a major and start over from there. They get you reasonable pay reasonable schedule and flight benefits.

@aggie168 - serious question for you: Is your true interest in flying or being that cool pilot who flies powerful people around in a cool jet?
I genuinely like the flying aspect of the job. I honestly don't know the first thing about 99.9% of famous actors/hollywood or sports people. If I ever got to the point of flying famous people, I'd likely not even know who the heck they are prior to meeting them and then would be googling later to see why they're famous! The appeal of corporate is that it seems potentially more family friendly for when I have kids and a family down the line. But I am still in the early stages of research and appreciate your insight. Lots to think about before solidifying a choice.
I wish I had the advice you would give your kids a few years back, it is solid advice. If i go down this road, I'd work while attending flight school. Unfortunately, I majored in something that will not provide me many job opportunities in Dallas. But, I have experience as a receptionist and would likely do that as I enjoyed it even though it does not pertain to my degree (animal science). Being a first generation college student was certainly a learning curve and I was the guinea pig of the family:/But nevertheless, no regrets and let's see what I do going forward. Issue with medical is that I have a decent GPA, but studying for the MCAT is so difficult due to the lack of motivation for the career. Its a hard enough exam for those who dream of being a doctor much less for someone who could care less and has grown to hate the sciences...

FYI, I do not have any student debt from undergrad and my parents would be willing to loan me the money for flight school so I would pay them back for 0 interest over time. Although, they're still not 100% on board yet so working on that! They're stuck on the fear of me facing post 9/11 stigma of Muslims in the aviation industry as I am a female who wears a headscarf. But I do think that stigma is not as strong as it was in the early 2000's and wouldn't be detrimental to my potential aviation career.

Last edited:
Back