Electrickery!!!

Fiveslide

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fiveslide
So, a friend wants to stay in our travel trailer because a bunch of thieves have been coming to her house in the night. Just wanted to use it until the cops ran them off or whatever.

So I plug it in, it's immediately clear the AC isn't running right. Haven't used it in 6 months, getting the bugs worked out was something I expected.

I tear into it and find I've got a voltage drop and the amps are creeping up until it eventually trips the breaker in the basement.

While I was inside it diagnosing that it, started to rain. I step outside and WHAM, I get the pee shocked out of me. The entire exterior of my aluminum sided camper has 90+ volts on it!

I'm done until dryer weather.

You lot have any funny, painful or scary electrical stories?

Back when I was a kid, my dad acquired one of those old phones with the wind up generator. He was going to use it to make worms come to the surface of the ground for fish bait. After winding it up, he told me to touch the wires together.

Yep, I peed a little too.

Adding to a run of electric in my upstairs. Turn off breaker, extend run, turn on, test, turn off breaker, extend run, turn on, test, turn off breaker, extend run, test, extend run. Cut wires and the cutters blow out of my hand. Oops, forgot to turn off after the last test.

I remember being on a carrier my fighter pilot friend was based on (USS Ranger, out of North Island, San Diego), and he was giving us a tour below deck and pointed out some of the tangled mass of wiring that runs through the ship, some of it with questionable insulation. He said, "You want to avoid that game of 'Guess the Amps'!"

This is pretty minor in comparison, but I learned at a young age that telephone wires carry a charge when I was installing a new phone outlet and stripping the wires with my teeth.

"220...221...whatever it takes"

I found an "electric", essentially a metal raceway used in stage lighting to be at 120V potential. How it avoided being bonded to the rest of the building structure I do not know (whatever was electrifying it should have tripped its OCD protections). I was just lucky I wasn't holding on to the building structural steel with the other hand at the time.

Was in Korea, 1982-ish. Our system had a 100KW precise-power Diesel generator for emergency power. During monsoon season we'd run on generator power for days at a time... bad juju to let an IBM S/360 crash unexpectedly. Went out one night to do something or other on the generator, darned if I can remember what... oh, yeah -- adjust the governor to get it dead on 60 Hz, that was it. It involved kneeling on the fender of the generator trailer while reaching for a control. Wringing wet from head to toe from the rain, of course. Since it was the middle of the night, I'd say there was a good chance my BAC was fairly elevated. That's when the soggy brim of my soggy cowboy hat contacted a hot part of the 24V control circuit. That'll get your attention.

And @EdFred - I have a pair of wire cutters that probably look about like yours. Big ol' scorched hole in one side. Happened during a kitchen remodel. One of the kitchen circuits was on a totally different breaker along with half the upstairs or some nonsense.

Then there was the time I was sitting in an office chair, elbows deep replacing a part in an early 80s vintage IBM color CRT terminal. Ever get bit by a 40 KV charge? I think I left a head-print in the wall behind that desk. The EKG afterward looked OK, though.

My parents had a swamp cooler when I was growing up, one time I went to take a bath and the water was tingly. The swamp cooler wasn't grounded(2 wire) and was connected via copper tubing to the house lines, which also weren't grounded.

One time in high school we had a tube laser with a separate power supply, I picked up both parts, one in each hand and was electrified until I managed to put it down. So, also, poor ground between part A and B.

Adding to a run of electric in my upstairs. Turn off breaker, extend run, turn on, test, turn off breaker, extend run, turn on, test, turn off breaker, extend run, test, extend run. Cut wires and the cutters blow out of my hand. Oops, forgot to turn off after the last test.
I had a pair of diagonal cutters that ended up with a perfect 12 gage wire stripper in one side after cutting through live wires after I was “sure” I turned off the breaker.

My parents had a swamp cooler when I was growing up, one time I went to take a bath and the water was tingly. The swamp cooler wasn't grounded(2 wire) and was connected via copper tubing to the house lines, which also weren't grounded.

I got lit up by our washer dryer combo that melted the 220 plug. This was in a 2-wire house, too. I had the machine unplugged. However a wire in the basement became exposed and electrified the copper plumbing. I got zapped by the unplugged machine when I completed the circuit by touching something else, forget what.

One time I was.... let's say, ''liberating'', wiring and conduit from a building that was slated to be torn down. I had all the conduit loose all along the shape of what I was needing to wire up the lights at my race car shop. All I needed to do to finish up was cut the wires near the breaker box. I didn't even think about the lights being on when I cut the wires....

So, a friend wants to stay in our travel trailer because a bunch of thieves have been coming to her house in the night...

Tell her she can stay safe on your boat, but she just can't use the helicopter. ;)

I was 5 (6?) years old.

I had been playing with flashlight bulbs, batteries, one wire, and tape to line up batteries in series to get the bulbs brighter and brighter til they burned out. I think an adult showed me how to do that with 2 D or C cells and I of course took it to the next level.

Some time later, I intently watched some guys rewiring the house next door (I loved to watch contractors work when I was a kid). Stripping wires and twisting them together is really what I saw.

I only had one wire in the experiment above.

Fast forward a few days or weeks later. Found a lamp tossed in the trash. I used scissors to cut the cord from the lamp. Yep, I left the plug attached.

I waited until my mom was napping (she sometimes worked nights). I was “smart” enough and dexterous enough at that age to use scissors to strip the wires.

I twisted those wires onto a flashlight bulb, just like like when using a twist-tie to close a bag of bread. That’s kind of how the contractors were twisting wire.

Held the bulb with one hand and plugged the invention into the wall with the other. A loud popping sound, burned my hand, left a black mark on the wall. Crying like a stuck pig. I remember my mom’s face was white as a ghost when she woke up and found me.

That only slowed me down, didn’t deter me...

26,000 arc to my hand in a TV transmitter. (Jumps and inch for every 5,000 volts) Fortunately my upper arm was grounded so got no current through the rest of my body. Big bang, big flash, burning flesh. Hand numb for 3 to 4 months.

I took an electricity class in high school. We were learning volt/ohm multimeters that day, we were going to measure a battery. This is back in the late 70s so no digital sets yet. Anyway, I look at my friend next to me and say "I know how to use this!" while the teacher is teaching. I grab the probes, stick them in the 110vac socket and KABOOM!!!, there was a bright flash, like a basketball sized ball, then I pull back the probes, which had instantaneously burned into little balls. As a mini mushroom cloud was rising, the teacher, Mr Spillane, who was about 60 years old comes running over, holding his chest, saying over and over, "Christ, what'd you do, what'd you do?" I told him I was showing John how to use the meter, he asked if I was all right, I was, and he told me "Please don't do that again." That was the day I learned to look at what the meter was set to measure before measuring.

I have never experienced a shock with our travel trailer, but I have read about people who have. Some of them strongly advocate testing the aluminum skin of your trailer with a voltmeter immediately after plugging it in. I have never done that. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea, especially since my trailer is now 24 years old.

I was replacing all of the electrical outlets in our living room. Most were on a breaker, which I turned off, but one was controlled by a light switch and were on a circuit I left on so I would have light to work by. And since that switch was in a hallway just outside the room, I turned it off and put blue painter's tape over the switch as a reminder.

The screws on the outlet were tight, I I had a firm hold of the switch as I tried to unscrew it. Suddenly it came alive and shocked me silly. I was sitting there in the floor collecting my wits and wondering what happened, when my wife walked in the room holding the tape. She says "I turned some lights on for you. Why did you have tape on the switch?"

Let's talk real electricity... lightning and thunder.

First encounter was when I was a 10 yr. old kid riding horseback herding cattle. I was herding a cow and her calf near a water tank and windmill. I felt the hair on my head stand straight up, I could see the hair of my horses mane standing straight up. Mind you this is all happening in milliseconds. About the time I felt my hair stand straight up, a bolt of lighting hit the windmill vanes and traveled in a fireball down the sucker rod and through the water pipe and then bounced across the water and struck the calf not more than 20 ft in front of me. The calf instantly bloated up and was dead. I remember smelling burning hair. I could literally hear the air sizzling as the lightning bolt hit the calf. Again, this is all happening in milliseconds. No later did I hear the air sizzling and seeing the fireball strike the calf dead did I hear the most massive explosion I had ever heard. It sounded like 5 tons of dynamite going off as the sound and concussion of the thunder literally smashed into my chest and I'm sure my horses chest as he reared up and tossed me off like I was a rag doll. My Dad saw the entire ordeal from about 50 yards away and literally ****ed his pants as he thought I was dead. I ended up on the ground dazed and confused not knowing if I was hit by lightning or not. I got up trembling and shaking wondering WTF just happened.

Second encounter was when my Dad, little brother and I were heading from town back to our ranch during a heavy rain storm. We were in our pickup topping a hill when a bolt of lightning hit our front grill guard. Naturally being in a vehicle we weren't electrocuted or anything, but seeing the massive flash and hearing the sound and crack of the thunder was enough to scare the living sh*t out of all of us. We all just looked at each other and went WOW that was scary and awesome at the same time.

Third encounter was when my girlfriend and I were sitting on the 2nd floor balcony of our apartment having drinks and watching the rain and lightning. Across the alley way from us was a Holiday Inn not more than 100 yards away. All of sudden we saw a huge flash on the corner of the hotel and again I could hear the air literally sizzling. Milliseconds later a huge thunder explosion. Not more than a couple seconds later I could see that a huge section of the corner of the building was missing and was charred like somebody took a blowtorch to it. Needless to say we immediately went inside. Scared the hell out of both of us.

Fourth encounter my girlfriend and I were looking out our patio doors in the kitchen at the storm brewing overhead. These are huge sliding glass doors. All of a sudden we see a huge flash of light and milliseconds later a massive thunder boom not more than 10 ft. in front from where we were standing inside the kitchen. I could literally see and feel the windows of the sliding glass doors bow in for a fraction of a second. Once again... scared the living hell out of us. Next morning I go outside and see that one of our huge sagebrush type bushes is totally dried out like it hadn't been watered for years. I go to touch it and it instantly crumbled to dust. I go to pull it out and as I pull the root I see a foot long piece of rusted angle iron that was buried under the root. I put 2+2 together and deduced that the lightning must have traveled through the bush and grounded itself on the piece of angle iron.

I've never been struck directly, but have sure had some close calls. I still enjoy watching lighting and thunder, but from a safe distance. I've been shocked by 220 a few times here and there. It feels like somebody is sawing on your bones.

My brother got hit by lightning a few years back. I've been close enough that all the hair on my body tingled and heard the air sizzle before the flash.

No stories close to the severity of most of the previous ones, but I still VERY clearly recall my experiences as a kid helping my father adjust the timing on our VW bus by rotating the distributor. Almost every time I reached in there I got zapped by the 20k volt secondary.... not a fun experience especially for a small kid.

Let's talk real electricity... lightning and thunder....
Remind me to stay a considerable distance from you during a thunderstorm. ☺

I was shocked once, less than what an electric fence would feel like, while leaning up against my parents' front storm door watching a storm. Not remotely as bad as your encounters.

I was replacing all of the electrical outlets in our living room. Most were on a breaker, which I turned off, but one was controlled by a light switch and were on a circuit I left on so I would have light to work by. And since that switch was in a hallway just outside the room, I turned it off and put blue painter's tape over the switch as a reminder.

The screws on the outlet were tight, I I had a firm hold of the switch as I tried to unscrew it. Suddenly it came alive and shocked me silly. I was sitting there in the floor collecting my wits and wondering what happened, when my wife walked in the room holding the tape. She says "I turned some lights on for you. Why did you have tape on the switch?"
My wife and I bought our house in '02, and spent a few weeks updating it before moving in. While standing on a stepladder changing out the foyer light, with 2 wires in my hands, there was a bright flash of light. I jumped straight to the floor (only a couple of steps), and almost got my legs tangled in the ladder in the process. My brain was trying to process what had happened, and I turned around to see my wife standing there with a camera in her hand, documenting our remodel. The flash of the camera, while holding the wires, scared me good. That was one of my wife's "Oops" moments. Thankfully, there wasn't a real shock.

I have never experienced a shock with our travel trailer, but I have read about people who have. Some of them strongly advocate testing the aluminum skin of your trailer with a voltmeter immediately after plugging it in. I have never done that. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea, especially since my trailer is now 24 years old.

What do you ground the meter to in order to test the skin?

26,000 arc to my hand in a TV transmitter. (Jumps and inch for every 5,000 volts) Fortunately my upper arm was grounded so got no current through the rest of my body. Big bang, big flash, burning flesh. Hand numb for 3 to 4 months.
Wow, compared to you, I guess I was lucky when I got zapped messing around in the back of an open TV. I was probably 16 or 17 years old and electronics was my hobby. We had a TV that stopped working (blank screen, audio only). I decided to open it up and "troubleshoot". Poking around in there and BAM! Several thousand volts went up my arm and caused it to snap back like a catapult. One of the most physically painful experiences of my life. Took me a few minutes to gather my composure and realize that I wasn't dead:D.

Went on to become an Industrial Electrician working with 4160Vac airport lighting, 480/277 and 13Kv for over three decades now. I've been hit a few times over the years with 120, 240 and as much as 277. Fortunately I'm still here. In each case, I was working with one hand and never had a path to ground.

Last edited:
Not as fancy as the above stories, but I was a little one helping my dad hang drywall. I bent down to do something and standing up I grabbed a light switch on both sides. I dont remember the details of things exactly, but I still remember the feeling of the shock.

What do you ground the meter to in order to test the skin?
The ground, I think. The black probe on the ground, the red one on the metal skin. I've never actually done it myself, I've just read about other people recommending it due to them getting shocked. But that makes sense to me to do it that way.

BTDT, 220V, ruined nice new pair of wire cutters. Hand was a bit numb for a while.

...In each case, I was working with one hand and never had a path to ground.
That's the key. Much of the human body is pretty tough, electrically speaking. The heart, however, is not.

And that’s when the fight started, your honor

My wife and I bought our house in '02, and spent a few weeks updating it before moving in. While standing on a stepladder changing out the foyer light, with 2 wires in my hands, there was a bright flash of light. I jumped straight to the floor (only a couple of steps), and almost got my legs tangled in the ladder in the process. My brain was trying to process what had happened, and I turned around to see my wife standing there with a camera in her hand, documenting our remodel. The flash of the camera, while holding the wires, scared me good. That was one of my wife's "Oops" moments. Thankfully, there wasn't a real shock.

Scene: Typing class in high school, Allen Military Academy, Bryan, Texas, 1974. Typewriters are the old mechanical type. Only one electric typewriter in the class and that one was right behind me. The outlet was next to my chair. Typing class is not the most exciting class of the day. I decided to change that.

I get the brilliant idea to pull the plug out just enough to expose the prongs, and then drop a paper clip onto the prongs.

The girl using the electric typewriter watches me, and then figures out what I am about to do.

Just as I drop the paper clip onto the prongs, she yanks the cord. There was a loud POOF.!! and the lights went out throughout the building. At the same time, another student, I'll call him Ace*, is sitting across the room where he had been quietly working on his assignment. He jumps up squealing like Ned Beatty in the movie ''Deliverence" and holding his hand on his neck right under his left ear. The instructor jumps up and runs over to Ace to see what is wrong.

Ace is still holding his neck, jumping up and down and in between squeals he shouts ''I got stung by a bee..!!!'' Now Ace is usually a quiet person. Very unassuming. Overweight with pudgy cheeks, wearing thick black frame glasses known as BCD's. I guess he was what most people would call dorky looking.

The instructor pulls Ace's hand away, and there is a very clear image of a paper clip burned into his neck. The instructor states, ''That doesn't look like a bee sting, but run to the nurses office and have it looked at.''

As Aces squeals fade down the hallway, the instructor looks at us. The smell of burning electrical wire insulation still hangs in the air. I guess we all look innocent because he ask us what happened. The incredibly handsome perpetrator of this event is sitting there with his fingers still on the keys, asking, ''What happened to the lights.??'' As we all give our variations as to what we believe happened, we hear the footsteps of the commandant coming up the hallway. The deep, heavy footsteps on a wood floor that can only mean one thing. He is coming for someone, and that someone is me.

I think I have had it, done for. I am positive Ace has ratted me out to the commandant. But no, the commandant walked past the door, just briefly looking in. He walked to the fuse box. Yes, fuse box. This is an old wood frame building that was built around 1910. He unscrewed the old fuse, and screwed in a new fuse and we have lights in the building again.!!

Several minutes later Ace returns to class. He has a big Band-Aid on his neck making him look like he has tangled with Dracula himself. Ace sits in his chair and resumes his assignment. Excitement over, back to typing....

*I changed the name of the injured party to protect the guilty of possible legal action. After Ace graduated from Texas A&M, he ran for city council, and lost. A few years later he ran for mayor. And lost. After that he became a field agent for the area representative to the state senate. He did that for several years, then moved to Washington, D.C. and worked for a lobbyist group. During that time I lost contact with him.

I will always remember Ace as the best center and nose guard on the football team and for the day I almost burned down typing class.

In high school, we once made an enormous Tesla coil. The primary coil was about 50 to 100 feet of 1/4 inch copper tubing, the stuff you see on refrigerator condensers, wrapped around a plastic garbage can and fed by a transformer used to light off an oil heater. The secondary coil was a couple of hundred feet of thin wire wrapped around a 10 inch plastic pipe- I've no idea where that pipe came from, with one end of the secondary grounded. When we fired that thing off, the free end of the secondary had a corona about 8 inches across. Fluorescent light tubes and CRTs across the room lit up on their own. We must have messed up radio and TV reception for a mile around us.

When I taught summer classes at the Marine Biological Labs at Woods Hole, we had some thunderstorms roll through. During a break, lightning hit the library on the left side of the courtyard. The thunder came at once and we all jumped. Because the lightning strobed, I distinctly remember seeing a ball of coffee above one cup- somehow it all fell back into the cup.

I am loving the stories, guys.
We need to convene at....oh - a picnic table at Gaston's - and spend a few hours over beers?
So reminds me of the shenanigans I got tangled up with when I was 5-20yrs old. (the 60's-80's)
(do millennials get exposed to this kind of fun?)

@Zeldman I went to allen academy 4/5th grade in mid 90s. I remember the wood flooring in our typing class, but we used Apple IIe computers with cloth covering your hands on keyboard to keep us from cheating. I only got paddled once there.

Oh, the stories from when we were young and immortal. It's amazing we survived to adulthood.

In high school the physics teacher was great. I was TAing for him in a physical science class my last semester. We had a Tesla coil that we were trying to get to work. The capacitors were aluminum foil on fiberglass dielectrics. 2 by 2 feet or so. Power came from a 15 kV neon light transformer. I was trying to get it to work. It didn't, so I unplugged the transformer from the wall and went to adjust a wire connected to one of the capacitors. It hadn't discharged. 15 kV knocked me flat on the floor. And the teacher, in his typical fashion, just laughed his butt off.

Another time that year I was moving quickly down the hall to physics and touched the doorknob, getting shocked. This was an old building, and it was cold and dry as is typical in eastern Washington in the winter. OK, I built up a charge coming down the hall. Touched the doorknob a second time and got bit again. Once is me, twice is Pete (the physics teacher)! A couple of us forced open the door, knocking over the Van de Graaf generator that was hooked up to the doorknob. Again, the teacher was laughing.

Our son destroyed a good pair of sewing scissors when he cut through a light cord. Blew a hole in one of the blades. Fortunately, the scissors had plastic handles, so he wasn't shocked. Scared the heck out of him and he never did it again. He was 4 or 5 at the time.

Just a few of the stories... :D

Electricity does a lot of work for us all, gives us a comfortable and convenient lifestyle, provides endless entertainment for some (as noted in some of the prankery listed above), and occasionally snuffs out a life either by accident or carelessness. It is a very versatile form of energy.

Let's talk real electricity... lightning and thunder.

First encounter was when I was a 10 yr. old kid riding horseback herding cattle. I was herding a cow and her calf near a water tank and windmill. I felt the hair on my head stand straight up, I could see the hair of my horses mane standing straight up. Mind you this is all happening in milliseconds. About the time I felt my hair stand straight up, a bolt of lighting hit the windmill vanes and traveled in a fireball down the sucker rod and through the water pipe and then bounced across the water and struck the calf not more than 20 ft in front of me. The calf instantly bloated up and was dead. I remember smelling burning hair. I could literally hear the air sizzling as the lightning bolt hit the calf. Again, this is all happening in milliseconds. No later did I hear the air sizzling and seeing the fireball strike the calf dead did I hear the most massive explosion I had ever heard. It sounded like 5 tons of dynamite going off as the sound and concussion of the thunder literally smashed into my chest and I'm sure my horses chest as he reared up and tossed me off like I was a rag doll. My Dad saw the entire ordeal from about 50 yards away and literally ****ed his pants as he thought I was dead. I ended up on the ground dazed and confused not knowing if I was hit by lightning or not. I got up trembling and shaking wondering WTF just happened.

Second encounter was when my Dad, little brother and I were heading from town back to our ranch during a heavy rain storm. We were in our pickup topping a hill when a bolt of lightning hit our front grill guard. Naturally being in a vehicle we weren't electrocuted or anything, but seeing the massive flash and hearing the sound and crack of the thunder was enough to scare the living sh*t out of all of us. We all just looked at each other and went WOW that was scary and awesome at the same time.

Third encounter was when my girlfriend and I were sitting on the 2nd floor balcony of our apartment having drinks and watching the rain and lightning. Across the alley way from us was a Holiday Inn not more than 100 yards away. All of sudden we saw a huge flash on the corner of the hotel and again I could hear the air literally sizzling. Milliseconds later a huge thunder explosion. Not more than a couple seconds later I could see that a huge section of the corner of the building was missing and was charred like somebody took a blowtorch to it. Needless to say we immediately went inside. Scared the hell out of both of us.

Fourth encounter my girlfriend and I were looking out our patio doors in the kitchen at the storm brewing overhead. These are huge sliding glass doors. All of a sudden we see a huge flash of light and milliseconds later a massive thunder boom not more than 10 ft. in front from where we were standing inside the kitchen. I could literally see and feel the windows of the sliding glass doors bow in for a fraction of a second. Once again... scared the living hell out of us. Next morning I go outside and see that one of our huge sagebrush type bushes is totally dried out like it hadn't been watered for years. I go to touch it and it instantly crumbled to dust. I go to pull it out and as I pull the root I see a foot long piece of rusted angle iron that was buried under the root. I put 2+2 together and deduced that the lightning must have traveled through the bush and grounded itself on the piece of angle iron.

I've never been struck directly, but have sure had some close calls. I still enjoy watching lighting and thunder, but from a safe distance. I've been shocked by 220 a few times here and there. It feels like somebody is sawing on your bones.
So, a friend wants to stay in our travel trailer because a bunch of thieves have been coming to her house in the night. Just wanted to use it until the cops ran them off or whatever.

So I plug it in, it's immediately clear the AC isn't running right. Haven't used it in 6 months, getting the bugs worked out was something I expected.

I tear into it and find I've got a voltage drop and the amps are creeping up until it eventually trips the breaker in the basement.

While I was inside it diagnosing that it, started to rain. I step outside and WHAM, I get the pee shocked out of me. The entire exterior of my aluminum sided camper has 90+ volts on it!

I'm done until dryer weather.

Not in the same league as some of the experiences related in this thread, but when I was maybe 12 my cousins (who lived on a farm) got a horse to ride. So of course they offered me the chance to try it. All went well until the horse walked over to the electric fence, and "tasted" a white porcelain insulator (must have thought it was salt).
Naturally, the wire was hot - and there followed a wild ride across the field - with me hanging on for dear life. Finally, I decided to jump rather than wait for a fall - and did it right. No injury - and no shock, either - but I was sure shook up!. I haven't been on a horse since.

Dave

Dave

Last edited:
Back