Going to the boonies to look at a Cessna, what to bring?

Trailer it home . When you consider all the driving back and forth plus motel then the cost of ferry pilot and his transportation . Get back to your shop where you can take your time and do it under no pressure . It this is something you may do again with another aircraft get a trailer .
The good news the trailer does noes not need to be heavy just long . In Fla. you should be able to find an old camper trailer to strip down to the frame . If you have a p/u you might consider a fifth wheel camper trailer . When you consider what might be added trips with nothing to show for them That money could go towards a trailer .

Two years sitting the Boonies, I’m thinking this will be one of two or three visits, before you ferry it out. You’re bound to need something you don’t have or find you need, the first time around. Good luck, please keep us updated.

So why does it being in the Boonies make a difference from sitting on the ramp in the big city? If it is in a hanger, barn or whatever with fresh fuel and a battery she should be able to fly out with little work.

Ah, well, not sure where you’re from, but here in NY, if I need it, I’ll probably have it before I know I need it.

So why does it being in the Boonies make a difference from sitting on the ramp in the big city? If it is in a hanger, barn or whatever with fresh fuel and a battery she should be able to fly out with little work.

I think the assumption is that in the boonies if he finds himself in need of an item it is less likely to be readily available than if he was in the big city. Thus the need to make a plan to take as much with him as he can. Seems sensible to me.

I think the assumption is that in the boonies if he finds himself in need of an item it is less likely to be readily available than if he was in the big city. Thus the need to make a plan to take as much with him as he can. Seems sensible to me.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If it was here and I needed a starter, I could drive a half hour and get one. The owner told me that it's really out in the middle of nowhere so I wouldn't even know where I would go for spark plugs, let alone a starter.

Also, if you are working at a hangar that's 5 minutes from your house and you have 24-hour access to the hangar, you can easily go home and get a tool you need or order a part and go back to the hangar next week when it's convenient for you. If you're working in a stranger's barn in the boonies and need a part, it doesn't matter where you have to go for the part, you also have to make another trip back to the plane once you get the part and schedule a time convenient for the stranger who owns the barn.

Also, if you are working at a hangar that's 5 minutes from your house and you have 24-hour access to the hangar, you can easily go home and get a tool you need or order a part and go back to the hangar next week when it's convenient for you. If you're working in a stranger's barn in the boonies and need a part, it doesn't matter where you have to go for the part, you also have to make another trip back to the plane once you get the part and schedule a time convenient for the stranger who owns the barn.
simply order parts from your phone..

Granted, It's easier when you're home.

Way too optimistic. Experience tells me that more than one trip will be necessary. And it will take time, too. Just draining stale fuel takes time.

This is just my opinion... but if I ever get a smoking deal on a plane that's been in a barn or hasn't been flown for a few years, you can damn well bet that I'm taking a trailer. Way too many unknowns and risks involved in trying to get something flying that has set for years. Get it safely home in your own environment and then start tearing it down.

Out here in logging country, long heavy trailers are readily available to rent. That is probably the cheapest way to go, even if you have to rent the towing vehicle to go with it.

Jim

Thanks for the advice. I just went through this process in December with an airplane that a fellow bought in Mississippi. And he had ferried here to South Florida. Same deal. I went up, spent a couple of days going through the airplane and then went back home and dealt with the FSDO up there to get the ferry permit. Then the ferry pilot went and got the airplane.
A couple days in Mississippi. Sounds terrible.

Whatever happens can you just make sure to update this thread after you see the plane? I’m curious how it turns out.

What plane was it? I know a few people down there

It was a Cherokee 140 that had a very minor prop strike. Over at KHKS. A friend bought it off Wentworth on eBay. We had access to this hangar because that former Air America B18 belongs to my then-boss.

IMG_20181215_135357706_HDR (1).jpg IMG_20181215_104020925_HDR.jpg

I faced the same question when I drove 400 miles to pick up a Champ I had bought. As I loaded up the truck the wheels in my head were turning and by the time I was done I had tossed in pretty much every tool I had in the garage including air compressor and generator. My brother and I drove all night down to Bermuda Dunes in the desert and got there around 6 am. I looked at the Champ and the first thing I said was “Okay, let’s get some air in those tires”

No air chuck.

Back