Looking for KX175B Nav/Com replacement.

southallb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
southallb
Looking for a slide in replacement. Anybody got anything they want to part with or (dare I ask) have an opinion on quality replacement options/suppliers?

Thanks

One of my 40-year-old KX175Bs finally died last year. TKM is just up the road here in Scottsdale, so I drove up and picked up one of their MX170C slide-in replacement units, just under $3K. Drove back to my hangar and put it in. Installation took almost ten minutes.

So far I'm happy with it.

How hard to replace? From what I have read it looks super simple.

It would be fun to see how you signed it off?

Thats what I was thinking...the connections on the back are probably at least 40 years old on mine. Did you do anything to clean connectors before installing?

KX175B slid right out...can it really be this easy?

It would be fun to see how you signed it off?
If all you're doing is replacing the box I don't think you need to. Heck, I had an A&P pretty much take my panel apart to get out a faulty box and he didn't sign off a damn thing.

Got a new MX170C from Aircraft Spruce. Pulled KX 175B out of NAV/Com 2 tray and slid new radio in...it powers up, but wont recieve or transmit on comm...and wont receive on NAV.

Here is my troubleshooting...

My com 1 is an older MX170C...so I took it out of the com 1 tray and put it in the Com 2 tray...everything works fine with this radio.
Next I took the KX175B and put it in the Com 1 tray...the coms work (nav on the KX175B doesnt work, which is the reason I am upgrading).

Try the NEW MX170C in both trays with same results...it powers up but will not transmit or recieve NAV or Comms.

Whats the odds I got a lemon right off the bat?? Waiting on Aircraft Spruce Avionics department to get in to start the return process. I have a feeling this aint gonna be easy to get a replacement.

Not yet, figured I would go with who I bought it from first. My fear is they will want to have it worked on...I didnt buy a new one to have it worked on right out of the box. Hopefully Aircraft spruce will just replace with another unit. Will shall see.

Me too...need that second nav for a couple IFR trips I have coming up. Well, dont really "need" it, but would make navigating a little easier.

I called and explained the situation and the troubleshooting methods I used. The avionics tech was very helpful and agreed that the radio was probably bad. Was emailed a return shipment label within minutes and radio is on its way back. Pretty good customer service to this point.

glad to hear that it is resolved. I have used TKM radios in the past and found them to be a great optiion but I still think they charge too much for too little quality. When they do break or show up DOA TKM always tries to blame the existing wiring and antenna. Good thing you did your troubleshooting.

Seems that is the trend in GA, to much for to little...but the freedom to fly isnt free!

Back