Experimental 4-seaters under $75k?

Hard to find an experimental that meets your objectives.

Here's an idea I haven't seen anyone mention yet ... Mooney M20F...

My buddy got a decent one for $55k. His has a 1000lb useful load. Decent traveling machine. And he flies it out of a 2200' grass strip.

Hard to find an experimental that meets your objectives.

Here's an idea I haven't seen anyone mention yet ... Mooney M20F...

My buddy got a decent one for $55k. His has a 1000lb useful load. Decent traveling machine. And he flies it out of a 2200' grass strip.
2200 occluded, or not? Makes a huge difference. Mooney propellors are fairly close to the ground, so they may not be what the OP is really looking for since prop strikes are always worry. Lots of certificated aircraft will do the mission for that money though. The OP is nearly hysterically shortsighted focusing all his attentions on Skylanes.

The OP is nearly hysterically shortsighted focusing all his attentions on Skylanes.
Im not so sure I would say that. I have gone through the process over the last few months of defining the mission and what will fit it. The 182 fits the mission perfectly and at first glance fits the budget constraints. What I now realize (hence this thread) is that the overall condition and panel offerings typically included on a 182 listing is that at or below $75k will probably need $25k+ worth of goodies in the next 1-3 years.

I should probably start another thread in order to go away from the experimental side since it isn’t going to bring anything into budget range either.

Im not so sure I would say that. I have gone through the process over the last few months of defining the mission and what will fit it. The 182 fits the mission perfectly and at first glance fits the budget constraints. What I now realize (hence this thread) is that the overall condition and panel offerings typically included on a 182 listing is that at or below $75k will probably need $25k+ worth of goodies in the next 1-3 years.

I should probably start another thread in order to go away from the experimental side since it isn’t going to bring anything into budget range either.
There exists of plethora of certificated aircraft that will do what you want within your price range. That includes a slew of taildraggers, not to mention a bunch of other aircraft.

There exists of plethora of certificated aircraft that will do what you want within your price range. That includes a slew of taildraggers, not to mention a bunch of other aircraft.
Let’s exclude taildragger for now...what do you recommend? based on precious responses so far we have piper arrow & Cherokee (which won’t do 135kts), maybe a Bo, maybe a Mooney...what else should I consider?

my first post here, but have been reading daily on this forum for last 9 months. maybe consider an older plane. I'm a newly minted pilot and bought a 1965 182 with basic IFR and 1300hr engine for $50k. Hadn't been flow much lately, but was just a basic solid plane with high-ish engine time. Just had my annual done and was ok, needed brakes, mag rebuild, and a battery and few other things (which add up). So yes I bought a 182 that may need an engine overhaul in a few years, however even factoring that in I'm ok. I plan to keep it a few years as I build time and upgrade. There are deals out there if you can react fast, I think a 182 is a great choice overall, and relatively easy to resell. Maybe keep looking.

n=1 data point on a '67 182k appraisal=$55k. They are out there.

There was a guy around here that would operate an S35 off a 1500' grass strip.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/31050001/1974-cessna-182p-skylane

I liked that one for $94,500. Probably not the panel you're shopping for, though.

And that brings up a question that I've started to wonder about. What percentage of asking price are planes selling for? What offer would people familiar with buying planes start at on something like this.

Our house, seller accepted 85% of asking and with repairs and closing costs, only pocketed about 65%. With boats I've bought, it really isn't unusual to start 60% of asking and negotiate up to somewhere closer to the 75%. I've never bought a plane so I don't have a clue how sales are negotiated.

Let’s exclude taildragger for now...what do you recommend? based on precious responses so far we have piper arrow & Cherokee (which won’t do 135kts), maybe a Bo, maybe a Mooney...what else should I consider?
I wouldn't recommend a Mooney because of your emphasis on short fields. Yes they can do it, but are not especially adept at the role. Someone mentioned a Navion, which is a damn good idea. I think a Cherokee 180 could power its way out of anything, and were it lacking the Cherokee 235 will do in a pinch. The money you've specified will buy a lot of Bonanza, certainly one of the finest planes ever built. Every last one of these airplanes will easily do 135 knots, except maybe the Cherokee 180. Arrow will do that, though.

But says me you're being laughably shortsighted by excluding taildraggers. There are a bunch that will do what you want. Yeah, it takes a little more training and your insurance premiums are going to be higher. The problem is you want a well equipped go fast four seater airplane that can double as a bush plane. There just not that many made that competently do both roles. You're way better off getting your go fast four seater and getting a two place taildragger of some stripe to go play in the bush.

What really surprises me is you can't find a Skylane for that money. Cessna made lots over a long period of time. There's only about 50 on Trade a Plane, and a bunch in your price range and some just outside it (the price advertised is not always what they sell for).

sounds like the OP wants a 182 with a low time engine as well as a modern panel. That’s what makes it difficult. He will have to forgo one of those wants or raise the budget.

@Johnbo and I are in the same boat. I called your friend and he was sure he's going to get asking price. That was a few weeks ago. I think at this point I'm going to get my cylinder(s) taken care of at annual and keep flying my TBO motor until she starts talking to me about overhaul. By then maybe the 182's will be reasonable again. A clapped out $75k 182 with a mid-time motor that needs 30k worth of paint, interior and some other goodies isn't worth it. Don't forget the 10% asking price the first year to fix all the stuff the prior owner was having pencil whipped.

Back