Commercial certificate help insurance

zbrown5

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Zach
Will getting my commercial ticket reduce my insurance premium on my Deboniar, or make me more insurable on a larger plane if I go that route later in life? Or is it all about hours?

Not a single penny.

Instrument and hours in type (or complex/HP in general) help, but commercial certificate is a throwaway when it comes to insurance. With bigger planes, recurrent training (6-12 months) at Simcom or the like will reduce rates. Though in some planes, may be a requirement, and not just a rate reduction.

I'm not so sure the instrument rating helps that much anymore. I think they just assume everyone will crash eventually so rate is primarily based on hull value. You might save $100.00 a year if that with the instrument rating but the commercial does squat.

I'm not so sure the instrument rating helps that much anymore. I think they just assume everyone will crash eventually so rate is primarily based on hull value. You might save $100.00 a year if that with the instrument rating but the commercial does squat.

I think that depends on the airframe. We found a bit of a discount on our Diamond as partners got instrument ratings. Cirrus or Bo with any partner without IR was an increase of 50-100% (if we got a quote at all). Commercial likely won't affect it, though I've been told it can help with life insurance rates.

YMMV but for me an instrument rating changes the rate for including me on the policy in the C210 significantly ($300 -$1,200 depending on insurer) and opens up more insurers. Instrument has no effect whatsoever on the Cherokee.

Good to know. I think we may be shopping for a Malibu derivative at some point so want to be prepared to be Insurable when that time comes. And, would love to be able to step into a twin some day too.

Back