Location of ADS-B ground stations?

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
I am trying to find the nearest ADS-B ground station that I can drive to and test a receiver and software I am making (instead of having to be airborne). I could not find a database of their physical locations. Anyone know?

BTW, you have to be pretty darn close to the site/tower to receive it. The antennas are really designed to transmit toward the sky. By close, I've had good luck within about a mile or so from a site.

BTW, you have to be pretty darn close to the site/tower to receive it. The antennas are really designed to transmit toward the sky. By close, I've had good luck within about a mile or so from a site.

I plan on driving right up to it. I hope it doesn't raise any suspicions from the local authorities.

there is according to linked chart, good adsb coverage near me but the ‘radar not available’ label is always pasted over x-hatching on the charts here

I plan on driving right up to it. I hope it doesn't raise any suspicions from the local authorities.

The ADS-B antennas are mounted on cell towers if they're not at airports. If you park where you can see the cell tower your receiver should pick up the transmission.

I visited a tower nearby yesterday, and this is what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_20190617_150153244.jpg
    IMG_20190617_150153244.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20190617_145959832.jpg
    IMG_20190617_145959832.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 94
Most of them kind of look like this:
ADSB_Harris2.jpg

Excellent effort, John!
Using WingX when flying, though the ADS-B indicator is green, I now get 0 (zero) towers indicated in the lower left corner of the Moving Map display. I used to get a number, sometimes as many as five, when flying in central Florida.
If/when it starts 'registering' towers received, is there a way in WingX to get the location for you?
(Also, I noticed when zooming in on LAL00 that the marker is about 20 feet southwest of the tower... Close enough!)
Thank you

Back