Truckla -- The world's first Tesla Pickup Truck

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
The advertisement....

How they created it.

The end result looked pretty okay.... reminded me of the Ranchero and the El Camino, both of which were pretty good looking vehicles in their early days.

Simone is one of the best things on youtube.
She has had a hell of a time with some brain tumors but is fun, positive, and builds some really cool and useless stuff.

There is like three pickups that are used in that way. For the rest, batteries are just fine.

I’m not talking about the little woop-to-dos through San Fran. I’m talking about hills like Coachella valley to Phx, or Montrose to Denver, auburn to Reno, heck even the grapevine could be a problem, all while maintaining the speed limit.

Not to take away from what she’s accomplished. She’s obviously very skilled and talented. I just think that for the foreseeable future, electric vehicles still have a loooong ways to go, not to mention, has she considered the amount of energy required to charge her vehicle?

Last edited:
There is like three pickups that are used in that way. For the rest, batteries are just fine.

Well, my family must own two of them. Then there's Ted and Jesse. Up to 4 already...

Yeah, now load that thing up with a 1000lbs of gear in the back and roof, and drive up some long hill in the west and see how long those batteries last.

That most likely isn’t her intended mission for it.

This video did have me thinking what if the two of you collaborated on something automotive, aviation, or robotic... or a mashup of all.

Who, Simone and me or Kent and me? Or Simone and Kent?

When are we starting the PoA 24 Hours of Lemons team? Are you sponsoring it? :)

Simone is one of the best things on youtube.
She has had a hell of a time with some brain tumors but is fun, positive, and builds some really cool and useless stuff.

Holy cats! You YouTube people all know each other? I had no idea.

The end result looked pretty okay.... reminded me of the Ranchero and the El Camino, both of which were pretty good looking vehicles in their early days.
Reminds me of the Holden Ute in Australia:

2017-HOLDEN-UTE-used-2115-705013-1.jpg

Skip ahead to 25:15 if you want to see potty-mouth and her "truck".

I’m not talking about the little woop-to-dos through San Fran. I’m talking about hills like Coachella valley to Phx, or Montrose to Denver, auburn to Reno, heck even the grapevine could be a problem, all while maintaining the speed limit.

Maybe just unlucky but you picked a few roads that are well covered with Superchargers:

Coachella valley to Phx -> 2 superchargers on the way
Montrose to Denver -> 3 or 4 superchargers on the way, depending which road you take
Auburn to Reno -> 2 superchargers on the way
Auburn to Grapevine -> at least 5

So any of those roads won't be an issue. You may have to stop for lunch though, but won't have any issue.

How about Mackinaw City to Ironwood, MI towing a 5000lb+ trailer?

How about Mackinaw City to Ironwood, MI towing a 5000lb+ trailer?

Not yet - however, Tesla pulled a permit to build a SuperCharger in Escanaba, so should probably be up in a few months. It's an oft-requested route. A Model X 90 can definitely do those two legs with one stop while towing 3500 miles (174 miles and 147 miles). I don't think something with a 100kWh will have any issues pulling 5000lbs for over 200 miles.

The Model S frame isn't built to tow 5000lbs though. The Tesla pickup will be able to, but will have to wait to see what battery they put in.

Alternatively, get the Tesla Semi and pull 80'000 lbs for 500 miles...

Not yet - however, Tesla pulled a permit to build a SuperCharger in Escanaba, so should probably be up in a few months. It's an oft-requested route. A Model X 90 can definitely do those two legs with one stop while towing 3500 miles (174 miles and 147 miles). I don't think something with a 100kWh will have any issues pulling 5000lbs for over 200 miles.

The Model S frame isn't built to tow 5000lbs though. The Tesla pickup will be able to, but will have to wait to see what battery they put in.

Alternatively, get the Tesla Semi and pull 80'000 lbs for 500 miles...

M28 is the faster route however. 8 hours day are long enough without adding extra time on US2, and then another however long to charge.

Personally, I think the El Camino style pickups are fugly.

Yeah, people either love the El Camino/Ranchero or they hate them. There is no in-between. I hate them. My FIL has 2 El Caminos in his muscle car collection, and those are the only two I wouldn't want to own even if he gave it to me for free, lol.

I actually didn't like the Pickup Car look, but it's grown on me with time. And for what many individual homeowners use a pickup for, it actually would make sense.

Having watched the video on the making of Truckla, I have to give her a huge amount of credit. That's an incredible amount of work to pull off in a short amount of time, and it looks like she's actually made a vehicle that, while it still needs work, is functional as a pickup car for hauling 2x4s and dead bodies around. Won't do what my Ram can do, but she doesn't need a 1-ton Ram. Also cool that she bought the brand new car and then did the work on it.

Well, my family must own two of them. Then there's Ted and Jesse. Up to 4 already...
My truck is always pulling or hauling something...never understood those that buy a truck because it looks neat.

I guess that explains your .sig
"-Mike Farlow
--Denton Truck and Auto Parts
--Denton, TX
--940-387-5202 || 800-245-0647
-- website Facebook"
Thanks for reminder to update. Yard still there and in operation... we sold the business to an employee. Retained ownership of real property.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You must live a cloistered life in Manhattan.

North Dakota, West Virginia and rural Maryland. Doesn't change the fact that most pickups don't see 1000lbs of cargo in their bed cumulative over a lifetime. They are chrome bedazzled vanity vehicles with not as much as a scratch on the rear bumper and a virgin hitch receiver.

I drive a 1/2 ton 'midsize' pickup as that is all I need to haul around some gardening supplies, bicycles or tow around my little tractor. Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to a F350 long-bed just so I fit in with the crowd in the hospital parking lot. My excuse is going to be that I 'need' it for the truck camper.

@flyingcheesehead will be by shortly to put in an order...

Meh... Making a car into a truck doesn't hold much appeal for me. When I want a truck, I want a TRUCK. Luckily, my FIL bought one partially so he could lend it to us when we need one (my wife's family is AMAZING) so I don't need to own one for myself at this point.

When I want a small vehicle... Well, I want a small vehicle for efficiency, not for hauling anything. Right tool for the job and all.

I'm excited to see what the Tesla pickup looks like, but not really excited by a mini-"truck" like this.

Back