It's Bird Strike Season

I actually had one yesterday flying with my grandfather during initial takeoff climb. Came down out of nowhere and *plunk* hit the top of the windscreen and that was it. No damage thankfully.

Wildlife seems to be attracted to me lately.

I had a big strike back in January at work, but after seeing your video, mine pales in comparison and would just be embarrassing to share now, lol.

Those rear-ender bird strikes are the worst. You cant see them coming...

This is the old Br-y-an. The good Br-y-an. I was worried you weren't on your meds for a while there buddy.

I had a big strike back in January at work, but after seeing your video, mine pales in comparison and would just be embarrassing to share now, lol.

Thankfully not that big! Although, half an inch lower and mine wouldn’t have ended so well...

Edit to add: he did a great job getting that one back to the rwy.

Attachments

• 72CA1FAE-F2EE-4607-A607-A9876D3DD93A.jpeg
    72CA1FAE-F2EE-4607-A607-A9876D3DD93A.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 41
  • BE1F8883-9879-4445-9353-682E50CFB099.jpeg
    BE1F8883-9879-4445-9353-682E50CFB099.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 39
Thankfully not that big! Although, half an inch lower and mine wouldn’t have ended so well...

Edit to add: he did a great job getting that one back to the rwy.

Well crap that did some damage. Looks like you can see the spar there. Hopefully the Navy won’t dock one months base pay for the damages. DOD budget constraints and all. :)

Well crap that did some damage. Looks like you can see the spar there. Hopefully the Navy won’t dock one months base pay for the damages. DOD budget constraints and all. :)

Haha, that’s right! Actually, in January we had “plenty of money”, only within the last 2 months have money issues come up...at least for us.

I hit it at 500 ft and 360 kts on a low level route (I was flying...never saw the buzzard as I had just looked left to clear to my turn). It punched two holes in the intake, buckled the top of the intake back at the rivet line, and left a skid mark in my shorts and ultimately left Jackson (JAN) on a truck. Fortunately, our Wing needed to cough up a jet anyway to have some new “improved” intakes installed...so this jet was a perfect candidate.

This is the old Br-y-an. The good Br-y-an. I was worried you weren't on your meds for a while there buddy.

Yeah, this one has legs. Not sure what the magic formula is but this one seems to be doing better than most.
I guess back to shorter videos and more props. Imma be the Carrot Top of aviation!

bs.jpg

Yup, nice length for my short attention span. And great sound effects.

One thing I've noticed from the several YouTube channels I watch is that figuring out the audience's wants is a challenge and a moving target. Getting the length right, keeping the content interesting and varied yet maintaining what the viewers want to watch. I've got probably half a dozen channels I'm subscribed to. Other than Jay Leno's Garage it's all just individuals and they work at figuring out how to keep the channels interesting/relevant and entertain and build the audience doing what they're doing.

Then there's me. My channel sucks. I have 0 subscribers and my best video has something around 70 views. Of course, I'm not trying.

We've got a non-pilot couple on the airpark who feed the birds. When they do manage to put one of their pet birds through someone's windshield, they get to paint an outline of the plane on the side of the bird feeder.

We've got a non-pilot couple on the airpark who feed the birds. When they do manage to put one of their pet birds through someone's windshield, they get to paint an outline of the plane on the side of the bird feeder.

I hope that is true because I find that really amusing.!! :lol:

And how big is the bird feeder.??

Had a bird strike in my front yard. Hawk took out a bluejay. What a mess of feathers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We got a flock of turkeys at 6d6 that have come to not even really be scared by the planes... not good...

It’s that 1st & last 500’ the highest likelihood of strikes. Yes I know about the outliers at 8k.

Sometimes it’s just fate working for or against you.

Someone needs to turn those into a flock of sandwiches.

I’m thinking the guys will be lined up come season! I hope so...

My actions are if they are a ways down runway I land and pay no attention to them as I’m not swerving the taildragger for em and a low level fly over does nothing, a go round could be dangerous if not decided on early if they decided to take off too... don’t know what other action to take...

Reading through the thread it's a good laugh. But if it really happens to you it is an "OH, **** !" moment. Saw the big ass hawk about 2 seconds before impact. It went up to the right then an immediate reverse and dived to the left. Before I could turn my head to follow the hawk I felt the THUD and thought that didn't feel right! Then I saw the left wing leading edge! I was about 1,000 feet AGL, and throttled back to about 18" MAP, so my speed was down and only about 4 miles to my home base airport. Called approach control and did a slow straight in approach to the runway.
By the time I taxied to the ramp approach controll was on the phone to verify a safe landing.
Birdstrike01.jpg

My 1st bird strike was while giving instruction in a 7AC Champ. Just as we were rounding out for landing a Red Tail Hawk came and flew in formation with us about 6 feet in front of our right wing, Just as we reach the 3 point attitude just before touch down (we couldn't have gone any slower and still been flying), the Hawk pulled up and flew right into the leading edge of the wing. Killed the Hawk, Did not damaged the wing.

Brian

Back