Squatter

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
Just rented a hangar for my new (to me RV-9A) at KLXT.
Went to put some supplies in there, and found this when I opened the door!

Turns out an 18-year-old student was doing touch-and-go's in this C150 and tried to take off with full flaps and carb heat. He couldn't climb, veered to the right, then stalled and crashed. He's lucky he wasn't another 50 feet off the ground...he walked away with minor injuries. I hear he's already getting back in the saddle...good for him.

Was just waiting for insurance adjuster to look at it...should be out of there today.

58230433953--71E8B4F3-D72B-4DF5-9F25-A1370EBDEB9C.JPG

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article231334308.html

So you're renting the hangar and someone else put a bent Cessna in there?

So you're renting the hangar and someone else put a bent Cessna in there?
Just a timing issue. I just got the keys on Saturday. Airport manager needed somewhere to store it until today. They're not charging me until the 1st of the month, so I can't complain. Was just surprised :)

He wont do that again.

He wont do that again.
That's for sure!
I had a buddy that was a CFII...never would have known that he broke the tail off a plane on a hard landing as a student.

Just a timing issue. I just got the keys on Saturday. Airport manager needed somewhere to store it until today. They're not charging me until the 1st of the month, so I can't complain. Was just surprised :)

roger

That is why I really don't advocate touch and goes for solo students. Too much potential to overlook some key items on the checklist as you roll down the runway at 40-60 mph. I almost did the same thing as a student pilot, took off in a Cessna 150 with 40 degrees of flaps. My only saving grace was no obstacles off the end of the runway, just cow pastures. Boy those cows were surprised.

Or this squatter...

images

That is why I really don't advocate touch and goes for solo students. Too much potential to overlook some key items on the checklist as you roll down the runway at 40-60 mph. I almost did the same thing as a student pilot, took off in a Cessna 150 with 40 degrees of flaps. My only saving grace was no obstacles off the end of the runway, just cow pastures. Boy those cows were surprised.

That's why students should learn in a Grumman AA1. I did a full flaps takeoff with my instructor seated next to me. We didn't notice the flaps were down until we were straight and level, and were a few knots slow.

For all the good the flaps did, Grumman could have installed a flap switch and indicator, and not bothered with the actual flaps.

They aren't touch and goes. They are go-arounds-after-touch-down. Which comes in handy to know you can do it when you have deer run out in front of you a little ways down the runway after touch down. (Has happened more than once)

You would have had a better story if you opened the door and found YOUR plane looking like that.

can't imagine why. didn't want it exposed to the elements?

Looks like a parts plane now.
Needed a secure place, so it wouldn't get messed with before the claims adjuster could come.

Just rented a hangar for my new (to me RV-9A) at KLXT.
Went to put some supplies in there, and found this when I opened the door!

Turns out an 18-year-old student was doing touch-and-go's in this C150 and tried to take off with full flaps and carb heat. He couldn't climb, veered to the right, then stalled and crashed. He's lucky he wasn't another 50 feet off the ground...he walked away with minor injuries. I hear he's already getting back in the saddle...good for him.

Was just waiting for insurance adjuster to look at it...should be out of there today.

View attachment 75189

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article231334308.html

Damn, that's my home airport. I'm used to seeing that little Cessna out flying every day. Sad, but at least the pilot is ok. Welcome to LXT, the land of $400+ hangars and $5+ dollar fuel. You'd think this place was Midway or Aspen with these prices. G8 is my hangar if you ever wanna come by!

Damn, that's my home airport. I'm used to seeing that little Cessna out flying every day. Sad, but at least the pilot is ok. Welcome to LXT, the land of $400+ hangars and $5+ dollar fuel. You'd think this place was Midway or Aspen with these prices. G8 is my hangar if you ever wanna come by!

That's Cheap.... :rolleyes:

That's Cheap.... :rolleyes:
I wish it was for the area but its the most expensive airport in the KC Metro area. My house is on a 2 mile final for 18 so I'm not really complaining, I guess. I know it could be worse! A lot worse

That plane looks amazing. Congratulations! What motor?

Nothing duct tape, zip ties, and JB weld won't fix.

Jealous on the -9A. Want one.

Back