Going to the boonies to look at a Cessna, what to bring?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
So a fellow is flying me out to the boonies to look at a Cessna 172C that he purchased. The airplane is not even on airport, it is on a farm apparently. It has been out of annual for two years. So that's not so bad. Let's assume for the moment that it's hangared.

I'm going to have two full days to work on the airplane to see if I can get it into ferriable condition. I'm flying and the purchaser is driving. It's a days drive for him. So he'll be bringing tools like air compressor and generator and anything large that's needed. I'll bring my A&P tools as checked bags.

So what would you recommend he bring with him in the way of parts and supplies? He's pretty much willing to go with whatever I recommend. Here's what I'm thinking so far, let me know what y'all think. Again remember it's only been out of annual for two years so I'm not thinking of bringing things like throttle cable that might be an issue had the airplane been sitting longer. Not looking to have it ferried back this trip. But I would like to have it in a condition ready to go so I don't have to make another trip up there. The ferry pilot can just get it in and go.

• Spark plugs
  • oil
  • filters
  • tubes for the tires
  • tires probably because if he doesn't need them now he can use them down the road
  • Bulbs for position lights and beacon.

Hoses. Breakers. Handheld radio. Grease. Hydraulic fluid. Brake fluid. Brake pads. Belt. Screws.

In random order.

Rat poison, maybe some mouse traps. Can of Raid. Some of that stuff that makes a car smell nice. Windshield cleaner.

When was the last time it flew regardless when annual was last done?
Do you plan to fly it out under a Special Flight Permit?

Right. It last flew 2 years ago. And I will be applying for a ferry permit, yes.

Safety wire

small cotter pins if you need to remove wheels

Gojo (no pumice) to clean your hands, the belly if needed anything else geasy

Paper towels and blue shop towels

Multimeter

Jumper cables

Small jack to lift up each main gear

3 bags of rock salt or sand to weigh down tail

Small fan if it's gonna be hot or lots of bugs

A couple jugs of water and spray bottle (to drink and clean)

Several small Tupperware containers for screws and small parts.

Lemon pledge to get 2yrs of bugs off wings.

Shop vac if he has one.

I will be applying for a ferry permit,
Since the plane is located outside your location determine which FSDO you'll need to contact. You'll also need to verify there are no outstanding ADs for the permit. As an FYI, most ferry permits have a time frame in which their valid between your signature and when the flight takes place. So I doubt you'll be able to get the aircraft ready, sign off the ferry permit, and have the pilot show up at a later date. Plus there usually is an itinerary/flight plan requirement as part of the permit app process/flight so you'll need to find out the route the pilot plans to fly for your permit app.

I'd contact the FSDO first and see how they handle ferry permits. Then you can coordinate with the owner on what needs to be done for the flight and plan the aircraft prep accordingly.

Since the plane is located outside your location determine which FSDO you'll need to contact. You'll also need to verify there are no outstanding ADs for the permit. As an FYI, most ferry permits have a time frame in which their valid between your signature and when the flight takes place. So I doubt you'll be able to get the aircraft ready, sign off the ferry permit, and have the pilot show up at a later date. Plus there usually is an itinerary/flight plan requirement as part of the permit app process/flight so you'll need to find out the route the pilot plans to fly for your permit app.

I'd contact the FSDO first and see how they handle ferry permits. Then you can coordinate with the owner on what needs to be done for the flight and plan the aircraft prep accordingly.

Thanks for the advice. I just went through this process in December with an airplane that a fellow bought in Mississippi. And he had ferried here to South Florida. Same deal. I went up, spent a couple of days going through the airplane and then went back home and dealt with the FSDO up there to get the ferry permit. Then the ferry pilot went and got the airplane.

Was it started when your purchaser looked at it? If not, consider something to fog the cylinders to lubricate them a bit - if it has been run, then no point.

Was it started when your purchaser looked at it? If not, consider something to fog the cylinders to lubricate them a bit - if it has been run, then no point.

Thanks. That reminds me. I have a prelube setup that's used in auto racing that I can attach to an oil port. I've done that on my own airplane after it's been sitting awhile.

O-rings or gaskets for the fuel strainer. O-rings for the fuel tank sump drains; you'll likely want to drain the old fuel out so you'd need some cans and a funnel for that, and maybe flush the tanks a bit with new fuel.

New induction filter.

Whatever you bring, there will be something critical you won't have. Murphy says so.

Battery or battery charger unless you plan to hand prop it

Now that you mention that, I'm thinking a new battery might be the way to go. If we don't ever take it out of the box we should be able to return it. But I can't see it not being a good idea to change that out. I'm going to go ahead and see if he can get some pictures of log book pages so we can check out stuff like that.

Now that you mention that, I'm thinking a new battery might be the way to go. If we don't ever take it out of the box we should be able to return it. But I can't see it not being a good idea to change that out. I'm going to go ahead and see if he can get some pictures of log book pages so we can check out stuff like that.

If the airplane has been sitting for a couple of years with no battery care, it's likely terminally sulfated. It might be coaxed to start the airplane after charging, but its life expectancy will be short. With old master and starter contactors, even a new battery might have trouble.

Two years sitting the Boonies, I’m thinking this will be one of two or three visits, before you ferry it out. You’re bound to need something you don’t have or find you need, the first time around. Good luck, please keep us updated.

Two years sitting the Boonies, I’m thinking this will be one of two or three visits, before you ferry it out.

My thoughts as well. I’d take what you think you need on the first trip but I’d treat this first trip as an exploration to get a list of things that will have to be done prior to ferry.

The time limit on Ferry Permits isn't that bad. The local FSDO gave me mine for ten days but said he'd reissue it if there was an issue (weather, etc...) that kept me from using it.
The issue you are missing on the issuance, is they don't just hand them out because you ask. You need to provide a mechanics signoff that the aircraft is safe for the flight, so one of your trips tot he boonies, you will need to have a mechanic accompany you.

The time limit on Ferry Permits isn't that bad. The local FSDO gave me mine for ten days but said he'd reissue it if there was an issue (weather, etc...) that kept me from using it.
The issue you are missing on the issuance, is they don't just hand them out because you ask. You need to provide a mechanics signoff that the aircraft is safe for the flight, so one of your trips tot he boonies, you will need to have a mechanic accompany you.

I am the mechanic.

Edit: after I took early retirement from my career as a civil engineer to do airplane stuff, I went to A&P school and have been hitting it pretty hard as a mechanic for the last 2 years, working on a lot of old stuff and bringing dormant airplanes back to life.

Some people have said a battery or a charger. I vote for just bringing a battery. Whether the battery is serviceable but drained or not serviceable, you'll save time just swapping it out and testing the old one on a bench later to see if it is worth returning to service. Bring a brush to clean the terminals, too.

You mentioned your A&P tools. Make sure you have any special tools needed to remove the prop, or bringing a new alternator belt won't get you far.

I like Simple Green's purple stuff, the HD or whatever it's called. Someone, I think on this forum, posted that they had contacted the company and it's the same exact formula as their expensive aviation cleaner. I use it a lot in the hangar, including to wash my hands off after I get grease on them.

Bring a small Shop Vac. Useful for all sorts of things including getting crap out of the tires if you replace the tubes and getting mouse droppings, nests, and carcasses out of the plane (at least I've used mine for both of those purposes so far).

Bring some wire, butt splices, ring terminals, a multitester, and a crimper. Mice like to chew wires and you'd hate to be able to test almost everything but miss something (anything from a P-lead to the master switch lead) because a 20-gauge wire is broken.

Maybe bring a garden hose and spray nozzle, in case there is a source of water but not a handy hose on site.

Bring a fuel sump tester in case there isn't one with the plane. And a bucket in case you have to drain off gallons of contaminated fuel, especially after you hose off the wings if the fuel caps are leaky. :)

Last edited:
You mentioned your A&P tools. Make sure you have any special tools needed to remove the prop, or bringing a new alternator belt won't get you far.

Bring a fuel sump tester in case there isn't one with the plane. And a bucket in case you have to drain off gallons of contaminated fuel, especially after you hose off the wings if the fuel camps are leaky. :)

It's a 172C, which will have the O-300 in it unless it's been upgraded to a Lyc via STC. The O-300 had a direct-drive generator. No belt.

And the fuel caps! Good point. Age and rain. Likely lots of junk in the tanks.

And since it's on a farm, mice will be an issue if they haven't done somethin g to keep them out.

And since it's on a farm, mice will be an issue if they haven't done somethin g to keep them out.
Mice will be an issue no matter what the owner has done to discourage them. Those buggers just won't listen to reason.

I would bring any thing you would need to do annual.
Oil, filter, air filter, tires, grease for bearings, nut and bolt kit, gas, oil for piano hinges, note pad for writing discrepancies.
Just do the annual, note airworthiness discrepancies, repair them, and fly it out.

I'd flush the engine, change the oil, oil the cylinders, and Start it, see how well it runs, it just may surprise you, if it runs like crap, at least you'll know what to fix.. :)
I'd run it about an hour on the ground, then drain the new oil thru a white rag to a clean 5 gallon bucket, see what you get. If it scares ya, flush it again and change oil again, run it again.
If it comes out clean, put it back in.

Mice will be an issue no matter what the owner has done to discourage them. Those buggers just won't listen to reason.
Mice, unless they have chewed something that becomes an airworthy issue, to hell with the little buggers they may even enjoy the ride to their new home :)

I really wouldn't believe the old 0-300 would have much rust inside, it should be varnished up pretty good.
If it has a rusted lifter face/cam lobe it will produce metal in an hour of run time, No metal, no worries.

It's easier to just do the annual, If it is junk you don't want it anyway, If it's good sign it off. no messing with FSDO.

Equipment to check (and clean/ream if necessary) the exhaust valves/guides. Sticking exhaust valves are a weak point of the O-300.

In some cases I found it was easier to trailer it home.;)
I've done that too.
Thing is, ya just make a plan, then make it work.
Yep,, adding big trailer to the list might not be a bad idea.

Attachments

• DSCN3563.JPG
    DSCN3563.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1964.jpg
    DSCN1964.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN3292.JPG
    DSCN3292.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 39
Good luck with it. Looks like you have a good plan and have gotten some good additional advice. Just take your time and don’t rush it.

From your posts, I understand that you are an A&P with about two years experience so I know you aren’t an IA so you can’t do an annual as some suggest. So getting a special flight permit is really the logical way to go. Just remember that you must make a log entry attesting to it being safe for flight so make sure it is.

Again, good luck.

Back