G1000 glare

SkySpy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Does anyone else find the daytime glare on the G1000 distracting? Any solutions to cut down the glare other than wear a dark shirt??

I will need an interior designer to make them see through for VFR flights,, lol
I'm no interior designer, but they should be designed to match the carpet in the plane.

Actually, maybe polarized sunglasses although they may interfere with other functions... I will give it a try..

Polarized sunglasses interfere with CRTs. Not an issue with G1000.

The problem with polarized sunglasses is that they are designed to reduce/eliminate glare reflected from flat surfaces. For example, the wings of the aircraft turning in front of you. (https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/sunglass6.htm). You won't see a flash as the other aircraft maneuvers.

Also, the glass/plastic on some instruments are polarized, so your dials might go black. From the G1000 manual: "NOTE: Use of polarized eyewear may cause the flight displays to appear dim or blank." Of course, the best way is to check against what you're actually flying.

I like your idea about dark shirts.

I think you mean liquid crystal displays (LCD) rather than CRT (cathode ray tubes)? the post above mine suggests the G1000 uses LCD.

The problem with polarized sunglasses is that they are designed to reduce/eliminate glare reflected from flat surfaces. For example, the wings of the aircraft turning in front of you. (https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/sunglass6.htm). You won't see a flash as the other aircraft maneuvers.

Also, the glass/plastic on some instruments are polarized, so your dials might go black. From the G1000 manual: "NOTE: Use of polarized eyewear may cause the flight displays to appear dim or blank." Of course, the best way is to check against what you're actually flying.

I like your idea about dark shirts.

If wearing polarized lenses.....If it goes blank, tilt your head. Interesting thing about that is in one of the planes, there's 2 displays. If I tilt my head 45 degrees to the left, one goes really bright, and the other black. Tilt my head 45 degrees the other way, and the blackness and brightness flip. My tablet is blank when held long axis horizontal, and normal brightness when held vertical.

Umm, no. I was flying a G1000-equipped Diamond last weekend and my polarized sunglasses were blanking out the screens if my head was turned a certain way.

Displays are typically polarized either horizontally or vertically and sunglasses lenses can be polarized similarly, making the displays can be difficult to read. It is not recommend for a pilot to wear polarized sunglasses in any glass equipped cockpit.

Last edited:
Displays can be polarized either horizontally or vertically and sunglasses lenses can be polarized similarly, making the displays can be difficult to read. It is not recommend for a pilot to wear polarized sunglasses in any glass equipped cockpit.

On my MVP-50 it's polarized at a 45 degree angle, so unless you're Rain Man, the display always shows.

BTW, I haven't had any problems with since that initial channel swap issue.

I think you mean liquid crystal displays (LCD) rather than CRT (cathode ray tubes)? the post above mine suggests the G1000 uses LCD.

Umm, no. I was flying a G1000-equipped Diamond last weekend and my polarized sunglasses were blanking out the screens if my head was turned a certain way.

Interesting that LCDs blank out with polarized glasses. I've heard that shouldn't be an issue.

Interesting that LCDs blank out with polarized glasses. I've heard that shouldn't be an issue.
No need to take our words for it, if you have polarized glasses. There's enough LCD displays around you can prove it for yourself.

Never had a problem with it, but if you're posting here I'm assuming you have your instrument rating, which means you can fly with all the windows blocked off with a blanket or something along those lines. It's legal, I promise... just don't check the FARs

I flew a 182 that had anti-glare screen protectors on the G1000 panels. Not sure if that's legal, but it did cut down on the glare.

Sam here, if I keep my heads straight then no problem reading my G1000 Perspective+ screens, but a slight lean of my head sideways and displays fade significantly.

Sam here, if I keep my heads straight then no problem reading my G1000 Perspective+ screens, but a slight lean of my head sideways and displays fade significantly.

You can read Wikipedia if you want to see how it works, but yes polarized lenses at a certain angle will block out LCD displays. Most sunglasses are polarized in the direction that will reduce glare from horizontal surfaces. Most LCD computer displays are polarized at a 45 degree angle so they aren't completely blocked by lenses polarized either horizontally or vertically. If you turn your head 45 degrees in one direction, you'll probably find your G1000 screen blank. If you turn your head 45 degrees in the other direction, you'll probably find a lot of the glare reduced, as the sunglasses cut out approx 50% of the ambient light, but allow almost 100% of the light from the G1000 display to pass through.

Back