Swapping Tire size

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Does the letter below give all C-170 owner the authorization to go to 8:50X6 on Cleveland wheels

Attachments

• FAA_8.50_tire_on_cessna_aircraft.pdf
    505.5 KB · Views: 50
I suppose it depends on the contents of conversation and the earlier letter that was referenced.

It sure looks like it.

Head over to the 170.org and ask someone there will know, or do a search of the site, I am sure it has been dissected six ways

I have seen 8.50X6 tires on 170's, they look awesome

Consider tire sidewall clearance with the big tires and then brakes, single or double puck?, then there is the issue of the original wheels were Goodyear and the letter says original main gear wheels. Yada yada yada

They do slow you down quite a bit, so what is a few MPH to look cool

Tom, do you have a copy of the Byer letter mentioned?

They do slow you down quite a bit, so what is a few MPH to look cool
We've not seen much of a slowdown,,If you are worried about speed you're in the wrong aircraft.

The 8:50s just roll easier in the grass.

I suppose it depends on the contents of conversation and the earlier letter that was referenced.
I believe the letter plainly states the FAA sees no difference in the size of the tires being any problem.

We've not seen much of a slowdown,,If you are worried about speed you're in the wrong aircraft.

The 8:50s just roll easier in the grass.
I've got 8.50s on my Citabria (had 7x6 previously and 6x6 with pants before that). Might be a 2-3 knot difference at 2500rpm but none at lower power settings.
They do roll easier on rougher ground.

I believe the letter plainly states the FAA sees no difference in the size of the tires being any problem.
If that's what you think, go for it. I feel the letter in your original post summarizes a conversation, and says "as outlined in another letter". Without that other letter, I don't see that you have all the details.

If that's what you think, go for it. I feel the letter in your original post summarizes a conversation, and says "as outlined in another letter". Without that other letter, I don't see that you have all the details.
I have read both letters, which say the same thing. in so many words.
And there is a STC, so we take the easy way out.

Last edited:
If you are putting them on as a minor alteration why does the letter tell you to file a 337?

If you are putting them on as a minor alteration why does the letter tell you to file a 337?
Weight and balance is always changed on a 337.
Even though it is not a major change in aircraft, 337 is how you enter it in the history records.

Empty Weight and Balance changes do not require a 337. That would imply, every revision/amendment, including weighing the airplane, requires filing a 337. Unfortunately, small personal aircraft typically do not have a great place to store the weight & balance records, and are typically terribly organized. Larger aircraft are typically better.

Empty Weight and Balance changes do not require a 337. That would imply, every revision/amendment, including weighing the airplane, requires filing a 337. Unfortunately, small personal aircraft typically do not have a great place to store the weight & balance records, and are typically terribly organized. Larger aircraft are typically better.
Not a matter of "REQUIREMENT" just a matter of how to record the W&B in history records, when it is recorded by 337 you can always recover the data.
A 337 is not require to be a major to file one.

Back