KSBA departure- what are you going to do?

Thanks for that chart! I've been looking, to no avail, with a chart that shows CHANNEL intersection. The fix represented a dramatic flying event for me in 1962. Do you happen to have the KSBA ILS chart from the same era?
Sorry, the only plate I have from that era is LGB ILS30.

That chart is probably late '71 or early '72. It mentions the LAX TCA which went live in September 1971.

That chart is probably late '71 or early '72. It mentions the LAX TCA which went live in September 1971.
I can reconstruct the transition by geo-ref the chart you uploaded. I remember well when the TCA came along. I was based at LAX and still flew a light airplane occasionally from KEMT to the TWA hangar off 24L. That was easy before the TCA but still worked afterwards.

Yeah, I didn't have an ADF in those days, so if the MM transition required one then I had to go Goleta - Lobster.

I have an ADF now, if that helps ... :rolleyes: o_O

Lol. Now all ya gots to do is find an NDB. Well, how’s it’s sound quality? Worth keeping to listen to some tunes or a ball game?

Glad you caught it soon enough, responded wisely and are around to tell the story. Yeah, the CDI needle would swing peg to peg in the blink of an eye there. Did you first notice what had happened by where the CDI needle was or by the reversal of the ADF needle?
Old Narco CDI with GS. I finally noticed the LOC was begged in the yellow. Not the ADF swing.

I georef'ed that chart. It appears the angle was sufficiently slight from CHANNL to the LMM to take us just west of GVO, if we even got out that far. Everything along that track was less then 3,000 so we weren't in bad of shape as I thought we were.

Is this pre or post BECCA? :D

(Not for use in navigation. So there! :p )
Love the chart! I have a couple of 1956 ORD charts somewhere. After TERPs came into effect in November, 1967, Jepps were more coherent. I used FAA charts from the time I got my instrument rating in 1958 until I went with the airline in 1964. They made sure I understood Jeppenese. :)

Love the blue-yellow on the LOC. That was a big deal when I came into this game.

Briefly, there was an FAA VHF four course range station. VAR, if I recall correctly. LAX had one. It had blue and yellow. No one used it.

I used FAA charts from the time I got my instrument rating in 1958 until I went with the airline in 1964. They made sure I understood Jeppenese. :)
:D

I was just a broke college student when I was CFI-ing, so I could only afford the Gubmint charts. If an instrument student at our school planned to use Jepps, he was assigned to one of the other instructors. If he was a chart cheapskate like me, I got him. ;)

I never did switch to Jepps. Still a cheapskate.

I love these old charts.

I was just a broke college student when I was CFI-ing, so I could only afford the Gubmint charts. If an instrument student at our school planned to use Jepps, he was assigned to one of the other instructors. If he was a chart cheapskate like me, I got him. ;)

Cheapskates rely on degrees instead of FPM :p

I was all ready to switch to government charts because of the cost differential when they decided to split the approach book for California into two volumes, thereby doubling the cost to have the procedures for my state. That made it cheaper to stay with Jepp, so I did.

Back