13 airports in 3 hours

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
looking for something a little different today so I took the skycatcher out to see how many airports I could hit in 3 hours.

Did 4 towered airports, 8 touch n goes and 5 full stop and taxi back landings. Shortest runway was umatilla x04 at 2500, longest was Klal at 8500.

It was a good experience. I recommend doing something like this once in awhile. Lots of varying experience with winds every which way, traffic at uncontrolled airports, working with different towers, freq changes, dealing with airspace, watching the weather and planning on the fly, etc....

I could have hit more if I’d planned better and gone counterclockwise. I had to reverse course a lot due to winds going the way I did. But it was a spur of the moment idea, so I didn’t consider that ahead of time.

Last edited:
Salty, are you doing the fly Oregon challenge? I’m going to do the Fly Washington thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Salty, are you doing the fly Oregon challenge? I’m going to do the Fly Washington thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That would be a long flight.

Did you plan this or just figure out each leg as you went?

Ahhh - beautiful Umatilla! Spent a lot of time in prison there....

...over-seeing the construction.

Thats one out of the way, barren, spot. But strangely endearing after you've been there a while.

Cool adventure!

Got me thinking about doing the same thing here in central California.

looking for something a little different today so I took the skycatcher out to see how many airports I could hit in 3 hours.

Did 4 towered airports, 8 touch n goes and 5 full stop and taxi back landings. Shortest runway was umatilla x04 at 2500, longest was Klal at 8500.

It was a good experience. I recommend doing something like this once in awhile. Lots of varying experience with winds every which way, traffic at uncontrolled airports, working with different towers, freq changes, dealing with airspace, watching the weather and planning on the fly, etc....

I could have hit more if I’d planned better and gone counterclockwise. I had to reverse course a lot due to winds going the way I did. But it was a spur of the moment idea, so I didn’t consider that ahead of time.
Yep, an excellent training flight (and fun.) My instructor had me do an eight airport round-robin, so that I would divorce the landing process from a particular airport. It really helped. Then we did six airports at night, to get used to controlling the lighting, etc.

You are an Avia-whore..... :blowingkisses:

Hmmm, didn't end up where you started though????
I did. But I turned off the EFIS on the next to last landing to run in and buy lunch, so it didn’t show on the track when I uploaded it. Lol

Last night i planned a trip figuring out how many airports i could do on a tank of gas. My Zenith 601 XL has 21.5 usable.

I came up with 15 airports for a 2:15 minute flight which should have me landing with a 45 minute reserve (includes extra fuel for takeoffs ). Going to try it next weekend.

Last night i planned a trip figuring out how many airports i could do on a tank of gas. My Zenith 601 XL has 21.5 usable.

I came up with 15 airports for a 2:15 minute flight which should have me landing with a 45 minute reserve (includes extra fuel for takeoffs ). Going to try it next weekend.
It takes more fuel and time to do the landings than just flying from airport to airport. Keep that in mind.

Sure does. The pot holes make me wince, but I've been there a few times in the T lance.

My last time there I was 9yo, and with mom/dad in the Cherokee 140. Part of me wants to share the experience with my wife when we are back in the area. Just didn’t know if the Lance was too much for it. Thanks!!!

My last time there I was 9yo, and with mom/dad in the Cherokee 140. Part of me wants to share the experience with my wife when we are back in the area. Just didn’t know if the Lance was too much for it. Thanks!!!

No probs at all for the T lance. I would not hesitate to get in and out on a dry runway.

I tried to repeat this flight in my mooney this morning. It was just too much in a complex plane in the heat there was this morning. I may try it again some day after a bigger breakfast and a cooler day, but the VDF, KPCM, KLAL, KBOW, KGIF back to backs wore me out very fast. I was concerned I would do something stupid if I kept it up, so I aborted with only 8 of the 13 stops in 1 hour 44 min.

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.43.58 PM.png

Wow. That's a landing every 13 minutes overall and the first 6 landings were done in 55 minutes for a landing every 9 minutes, including switching frequencies, reconfiguring the plane, and talking to ATC in between. No wonder it was tiring.

That looks like too much fun. I need to try and do something similar :)

I tried to repeat this flight in my mooney this morning. It was just too much in a complex plane in the heat there was this morning. I may try it again some day after a bigger breakfast and a cooler day, but the VDF, KPCM, KLAL, KBOW, KGIF back to backs wore me out very fast. I was concerned I would do something stupid if I kept it up, so I aborted with only 8 of the 13 stops in 1 hour 44 min.

View attachment 76144

Let me know if you want a copilot for the retry to help with radio work or whatever.

Back