Practice clearances for GPS Programming?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Is there a website where I can find actual clearances that I can use to practice entering them into my GPS?

LiveATC.net, find an actual clearance delivery frequency, and copy real ones live to your heart’s content.

Or go to FlightAware.com, search for an airport, and click on any flight into or out of that airport.

In addition to Flight Aware, also Fltplan.com. Pick two airports, and be shown the routes frequently generated between these points.

If you are a ForeFlight User, you can see the same info when you poke the Routes button on the Maps tab

FltPlan.com shows recent flights and the type of plane. So you can pick one that most matches your plane.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Listen to KSNA clearance and hear both VFR and IFR versions, all day, every day.

You can also look up TEC routes in your local Chart Supplement (or in one that has them) and use those.

I'm still relatively new to RNAV procedures (since I installed a GTN 650 in September 2017), but so far, my clearances are always direct to one of the waypoints on the crossbar of the T (i.e. the IWP or one of the IAWPs), sometimes from 50nm away, with the approach clearance issued just before I get there. It's far, far simpler than the clearances I used to get with conventional approaches.

My home airport doesn't have its own STARs, but in Canada (at least in books), we have the concept of "open" and "closed" RNAV STARs -- I don't think the US uses the same terminology, but you likely have the same concept. An "open" STAR is one that essentially ends on an extended downwind for your runway, and it's up to you to "close" it by navigating from the last WP of the STAR to the first WP of the approach (often a 180deg turn). A "closed" STAR is one where the STAR ends by connecting directly to a waypoint at the beginning of an RNAV procedure.

Without GPS roll steering, closing an open STAR (or the equivalent coming off of a vector) can be a challenge. Your target waypoint will be a couple of miles off one of your wings at your 3:00 or 9:00, and you have to manage a 180deg turn so that you end up on the approach course at the waypoint facing the right direction. I did it once off an opposite-direction vector (not a STAR) in bad weather after a 4 hour flight--I managed fine, but it was enough to convince me to install a GPSS converter a couple of months later.

Last edited:
Canada publishes, and uses, STARs and SIDs for a lot higher percentage of airports than the US does. I've seen STARs that do both of what you do, but usually people end up getting vectored onto the approach anyway. It is just unlikely that you are getting a STAR or SID to anything but a very busy airport, and even less likely if you aren't in a turbine.

FltPlan.com shows recent flights and the type of plane. So you can pick one that most matches your plane.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Foreflight does too under 'Routes' under 'FPL' when in the edit mode when you put a starting airport and destination in. Doesn't say type of plane but does say whether piston or jet.

Back