G5 question

Paul_Havelka

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Paul_Havelka
I’m sure I’m just overlooking the info but I had a question about the G5 DG/HSI. I’m going to be putting one in a Cherokee 180C that has the shotgun panel. In top left corner of the panel is a whiskey compass and there is also a vertical card compass just above the pilot’s yoke. My question is does the G5(with gmu11 magnetometer) allow me to remove the vertical card compass?

-Paul-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you don’t need both compasses.

I’m sure I’m just overlooking the info but I had a question about the G5 DG/HSI. I’m going to be putting one in a Cherokee 180C that has the shotgun panel. In top left corner of the panel is a whiskey compass and there is also a vertical card compass just above the pilot’s yoke. My question is does the G5(with gmu11 magnetometer) allow me to remove the vertical card compass?

-Paul-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See G5 installation limitations below

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_18.pdf

upload_2019-6-10_10-43-48.png

This thread is confusing.

• I don’t think you need two compasses even without making any other changes, but is the compass in the panel actually a directional gyro?
  • The G5 with magnetometer can replace a directional gyro, but it can’t also replace an AI at the same time. You’d need another G5 for that.

Last edited:
Note that should you lose electrical power in the aircraft the GMU-11 derived magnetic heading will NOT be shown on the G5 HSI even though the G5's internal battery will let it continue to operate because the GMU is NOT powered by the G5, but by the aircraft power.

Note that should you lose electrical power in the aircraft the GMU-11 derived magnetic heading will NOT be shown on the G5 HSI even though the G5's internal battery will let it continue to operate because the GMU is NOT powered by the G5, but by the aircraft power.

Interesting. That scenario has never crossed my mind.

Interesting. That scenario has never crossed my mind.

That is why both systems I have installed have their own GPS antennas. GMU11 offline? Panel mounted GPS down?, no problem, you still have GPS track.

Query...if both the G5s have (and use) their own antenna how do you switch from the G5 HSI GPS WAAS input (from an external GPS navigator) to the G5 internal GPS receiver? From what I read in the installation manual you would have to go into the G5 setup mode (page 116, Rev 16. of G5 install manual) for the HSI and "enable" the internal GPS receiver. Not something I would care to add to a workload already high if I have lost the total electrical system in IMC, for example. Of course if you are not using an external GPS WAAS navigator the question is moot.

Query...if both the G5s have (and use) their own antenna how do you switch from the G5 HSI GPS WAAS input (from an external GPS navigator) to the G5 internal GPS receiver? From what I read in the installation manual you would have to go into the G5 setup mode (page 116, Rev 16. of G5 install manual) for the HSI and "enable" the internal GPS receiver. Not something I would care to add to a workload already high if I have lost the total electrical system in IMC, for example. Of course if you are not using an external GPS WAAS navigator the question is moot.

I don't, my G5s are not using RS232 GPS position from the panel mounted navigator.

All CDI/Navigation data displayed is piped over ARINC429 wires to the GAD29(B) which converts that data to CANBUS and sends to the G5.

I was mistaken about some of the instruments as it had been a little while since I had seen the aircraft. It is looking like I won't be able to move the VSI to where the current VCC is. As for the general layout of my plan what do y'all think about it? Also, I read some interesting interpretations on installing dual G5s from individuals that had a single G5 installed and then installed the second at a later date. Since the only difference between the certified and non-certified units is the addition of the STC I have seen where some have initially installed a certified G5 DG/HSI and then later installed a G5 AI that is for experimental only. Their reasoning is that when you get the certified unit the STC that comes with it is for the installation of a single unit or dual units. They argue that since they already own the STC for dual unit installation that there is no reason for them to buy the STC a second time. I'd love to hear what some of you avionics guys/shops and A&Ps have to say about this. @Jesse Saint , what say you sir?

IMG_7798.jpg panel layout.jpg CP panel.jpg

I was mistaken about some of the instruments as it had been a little while since I had seen the aircraft. It is looking like I won't be able to move the VSI to where the current VCC is. As for the general layout of my plan what do y'all think about it? Also, I read some interesting interpretations on installing dual G5s from individuals that had a single G5 installed and then installed the second at a later date. Since the only difference between the certified and non-certified units is the addition of the STC I have seen where some have initially installed a certified G5 DG/HSI and then later installed a G5 AI that is for experimental only. Their reasoning is that when you get the certified unit the STC that comes with it is for the installation of a single unit or dual units. They argue that since they already own the STC for dual unit installation that there is no reason for them to buy the STC a second time. I'd love to hear what some of you avionics guys/shops and A&Ps have to say about this. @Jesse Saint , what say you sir?

View attachment 74974 View attachment 74975 View attachment 74976

There is no experimental version of the G5 display itself, they are all the same part number, all the stickers on them say FAA/PMA. The part number on them all match the part numbers shown in the STC's installation manual. The STC letter of authorization coupon provided in the certified kits allows you to the STC on your airplane, its only logical that shouldn't have to buy the coupon twice when there is no language in any of the documents requiring it. Every sales add that calls a G5 display "experimental" is a sales pitch. (way way back before the STC existed, those G5s are a different part number and are not eligible for installation on certified aircraft, I doubt if anyone even has stock that old, Garmin applied for the STC May 2016.)

There are NON-FAA/PMA versions of the GAD29 and GMU11 so don't buy those, not an issue if you buy the certified HSI kit.

Last edited:
I would recommend moving the vertical compus to the center post, remove the Whisky compus completely, and gain another spot for an instrument. Move the other instruments to the standard 6pak locations... and use the G5's in the center....

Back