Medical Elegibility for Private Pilot's License

Mike C. Brooklyn NY

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike C. - Brooklyn NY
I wish to obtain my private pilot's license, but first I must determine if I am medically elibible. I have found the FAA very difficult to communicate with. I could not get the information I need from their website or hotline number. I sent them 2 letters, one was ignored and the second was returned because I did not have a room number in their address.

Could someone who is knowledgeable with FAA medical regulations please evaluate my basic medical profile and advise me if I could pass my physical for my PPL?

My major medical issues are the following:

Heart attack. 24 years ago. No subsequent heart trouble.
Colon cancer. 11 years ago. No subsequent cancer complaints.
Sleep apnea. CPAP therapy with 99% compliance.
Diabetes. Under control with daily glucose readings under 130.
Arthritis. Both knees.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated, as it would save me much unnecessary expense if I began my flight training and found out that I could not pass the FAA physical.

Cordially,
Mike Brooklyn, NY

Yes, you need to consult with an AME and have them evaluate you.

Plenty of us can help you with the CPAP paperwork. For the rest you’ll need to hear from our resident experts. A consultation, recommended already, is also a good place to start.

Mike, with your history, your Medical application won't be simple. Best advice is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien at aeromedicaldoc.com and lay it all out for him. He is a great advocate for all pilots. Please also understand that he requires absolute honesty on your part. He will tell you if you are certifiable, and provide you with what necessary documentation from your history is required for AME review. It may be a paperwork nightmare, but if you are certifiable, Dr. Chien knows the way!

Best wishes!

-Skip

Your sleep apnea will require a Special Issuance Medical Certificate. Your other medical condition will require documentation and current medications, doctor's reports etc... You can be successful if all of your conditions meet FAA regulations.

Better question is how much money are you willing to spend on tests required by the FAA?

There are obvious complicating things that you'll need to deal with. Wont' know until tests are run, but it sounds certifiable to me. People with all of these events are pilots and flying right now.

On the other hand, there will be concern over unknown problems. While discovery of those may side track you, possibly for good, it will mean a longer, healthier life for you and that's worth doing regardless of flying.

As advised above, talk to an AME for a consult. Your goal should be to come in for your physical knowing all the hoops the FAA wants you to do, having already jumped through them and knowing you're going to pass. Until you are 100% armed with that knowledge and you know that you meet the requirements, do not submit an official medical application.

I will also mention Sport Pilot, which requires no medical at all. You're limited to 2 seat aircraft going no more than 120 kts and weighing less than 1320 lbs. But it's still flying. If you know you can't meet the FAA 3rd class above, this is an option to fly, but only if you have never been denied a medical. If you submit and get denied, then Sport is no longer an option.

Good Luck

Last edited:
As advised above, talk to an AME for a consult. Your goal should be to come in for your physical knowing all the hoops the FAA wants you to do, having already jumped through them and knowing you're going to pass. Until you are 100% armed with that knowledge and you know that you meet the requirements, do not submit an official medical application.
@Mike C. Brooklyn NY

Big agreement with what is said here, with special emphasis on the last sentence.

Trying not to pat myself on the back for writing it, but after you said that, I agree it's the big thought there (I don't have many of those). I went back and bolded and underlined it. It's probably the #1 thing all new pilots need to know about FAA medicals.

Last edited:
It's probably the #1 thing all new pilots need to know about FAA medicals.
Especially all the youngsters joining up with the "Zero to Hero" programs that require a 1st class medical from the get go. "You don't know what you don't know" is the wrong concept and could derail a good career from the start. As opposed to pushing the pause button for 4-8 weeks and getting things sorted through consults and appropriate education.

MI 24 years ago needs a Stress treadmill, fasting lipids & glucose (current to application), docs' summary letter and exam. that is also a special issuance.

Colon CA 11 years ago: Biopsy report, surgical note, discharge summary and letter from (at this point) a PCP will do- "is considered disease free at this time".

Sleep Apnea: Letter stating you appear well rested, don't have any physical exam findings of heart failure, no complaint of daytime sleepiness, and a CPAP printout report from your machine (if you have an old one that doesn't give reports, GET A NEW ONE, it's too old) showing > 75% of nights with >6 hours' usage.

Diabetes- I hope on pills? Or even better on diet alone? If on pills, you need the attachment filled out completed (no empty boxes).

Attachments

• SA(CPAP.1yr)MD.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Diabetes(Oral.Worksheet)08.17.17.pdf
    900.1 KB · Views: 257
Find a local AME (aviation medical examiner) and go for a consult only. DO NOT fill up any form in any FAA website. That consult should give you an idea of what your likelihood is.

Thank you for your prompt response, WannFly. This sounds like good advice. -- Mike C

Plenty of us can help you with the CPAP paperwork. For the rest you’ll need to hear from our resident experts. A consultation, recommended already, is also a good place to start.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Matthew. Most guys here recommend the consultation for starters. -- Mike C

Mike, with your history, your Medical application won't be simple. Best advice is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien at aeromedicaldoc.com and lay it all out for him. He is a great advocate for all pilots. Please also understand that he requires absolute honesty on your part. He will tell you if you are certifiable, and provide you with what necessary documentation from your history is required for AME review. It may be a paperwork nightmare, but if you are certifiable, Dr. Chien knows the way!

Best wishes!

-Skip

Thank your for your prompt response to my inquiry, Skip. I checked Dr. Chien's website and he looks very credible and competent. He lives in Illinois, and I hope this would not be a problem. I am anticipating a paperwork nightmare. -- Mike C

First, ask yourself "how badly do I need a back seat?"

Then, consider Sport Pilot. The less you have to deal with the FAAs minions, the easier life becomes.

Thank you for your prompt response to my problem, Captain Thorpe. I will keep your suggestion about Sport Pilot certification in mind, especially if I tire of dealing with FAA aparatchniks. -- Mike

Your sleep apnea will require a Special Issuance Medical Certificate. Your other medical condition will require documentation and current medications, doctor's reports etc... You can be successful if all of your conditions meet FAA regulations.

Thank you for your advice and prompt response to my message, Ibfjrmd. You guys who have responded to my thread have given me more information in 2 days than I have attempted to receive after 2 1/2 months of trying with the FAA. -- Mike C

Better question is how much money are you willing to spend on tests required by the FAA?

Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry, Clip 4. I'll have to deal with that expense when I come to it, to see if I can handle it. I am aware that it might be prohibitively expense. -- Mike C

There are obvious complicating things that you'll need to deal with. Wont' know until tests are run, but it sounds certifiable to me. People with all of these events are pilots and flying right now.

On the other hand, there will be concern over unknown problems. While discovery of those may side track you, possibly for good, it will mean a longer, healthier life for you and that's worth doing regardless of flying.

I will also mention Sport Pilot, which requires no medical at all. You're limited to 2 seat aircraft going no more than 120 kts and weighing less than 1320 lbs. But it's still flying. If you know you can't meet the FAA 3rd class above, this is an option to fly, but only if you have never been denied a medical. If you submit and get denied, then Sport is no longer an option.

Good Luck

Thank you for your prompt response, Bflynn. I will especially keep in mind the sentence that you underlined. Your suggestion about Sport Pilot is also valuble information. -- Mike C

MI 24 years ago needs a Stress treadmill, fasting lipids & glucose (current to application), docs' summary letter and exam. that is also a special issuance.

Colon CA 11 years ago: Biopsy report, surgical note, discharge summary and letter from (at this point) a PCP will do- "is considered disease free at this time".

Sleep Apnea: Letter stating you appear well rested, don't have any physical exam findings of heart failure, no complaint of daytime sleepiness, and a CPAP printout report from your machine (if you have an old one that doesn't give reports, GET A NEW ONE, it's too old) showing > 75% of nights with >6 hours' usage.

Diabetes- I hope on pills? Or even better on diet alone? If on pills, you need the attachment filled out completed (no empty boxes).

Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry, bbchien. As you referred to my heart attack as MI, you are probably the Dr. Bruce Chien whose website I recently visited. Thanks for your advice and concern with my problem.

The treadmill test will be a problem. With my arthritic knees, I can still walk indefinitely (I do 2 to 3 miles per day) but I just can't walk fast. I have had treadmill tests before my arthritis, and I know that I now could not keep up a treadmill pace for a cardiac reading.

I am due for my 5 year colonoscopy in September.

My CPAP machine is one of the latest models. It automatically transmits my sleep record to the technicians at the VA, so I do not have to bring in the chip from the machine on a yearly basis.

As for my diabetes medication, I take metformin and rapaglinide tablets, daily. I also take nightly injections of insulin and Victoza.

Most of my medical records are with the VA, and I'm hoping that those records would be available to you if I choose to use your services, Dr. Chien. My PCP at the Manhattan VA would probably be receptive in cooperating with medical correspondence between your offices.

Your advice so far has been invaluble in helping me begin to determine if I can meet the FAA medical standards for obtaining my PPL. Thanks again for your concern, Dr. Chien.

Cordially,
Mike C Brooklyn, NY

Thank your for your prompt response to my inquiry, Skip. I checked Dr. Chien's website and he looks very credible and competent. He lives in Illinois, and I hope this would not be a problem. I am anticipating a paperwork nightmare. -- Mike C
I wouldn't but too much worry and stress about the distance between you and Dr. Chien. At the beginning, Much can be done "remotely" via emails and phone calls. Once the two of you have created the proper paper stack that the FAA will want to see and Dr. Chien is confident will be successful, then he will ask you to travel for the specific exam.

He is also one of the very few AME's (Dr. Lou being another) who truly understand how the system works and the benefit of properly guiding the airmen through the process. So like traveling across the country to see the top surgeon for a procedure that will save and prolong your life, so will traveling to work with one of these top level AME's increase your chances of certification success.

I wouldn't but too much worry and stress about the distance between you and Dr. Chien. At the beginning, Much can be done "remotely" via emails and phone calls. Once the two of you have created the proper paper stack that the FAA will want to see and Dr. Chien is confident will be successful, then he will ask you to travel for the specific exam.

He is also one of the very few AME's (Dr. Lou being another) who truly understand how the system works and the benefit of properly guiding the airmen through the process. So like traveling across the country to see the top surgeon for a procedure that will save and prolong your life, so will traveling to work with one of these top level AME's increase your chances of certification success.

Sounds like good advice to me, AggieMike88. I'll keep it mind and probably follow it. -- Mike C.

Mike, I'm not out here looking for work (god knows I'm busy) - but send me a message through the website and I"ll respond. http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com The interface may not acknowledge your submission (IExplorer).

Dr. Chien -- I will see my PCP in early July; I want to discuss some things with her, then I will get back to you. Thanks for your reply. Don't worry, I know you were not prospecting for new gigs. -- Mike C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back