Your Invitation to the 17th Annual H.O.P.S. Party in the North 40

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
The shirts are ordered...so you know what THAT means!

This is your official invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation Usenet groups that pre-date the modern internet.)

Mary and I are long-term EAAers, and this will be our 37th consecutive Oshkosh Fly-In! As always, this party will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 24, 2019.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event. See if you can spot anyone you know!

https://www.facebook.com/jjhoneck/media_set?set=a.518158858220013&type=3

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food and soft drinks, while "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country (and sometimes the world). It's great fun!

How does one find this party, you ask, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it here as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A named "Amelia" in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV-8A out there! We also usually fly an enormously tall Texas flag over our site, so that should help to track us down, too.

As always, the first 40 attendees will receive the coveted HOPS Party T-shirt, free!

Hope to see you there!
--
Jay & Mary
62226923_2209044792464736_4141922802196283392_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to it! Made it a couple years ago. Hardest part was finding Maryland beer in Wisconsin since I was flying commercial, I didn't have room in my suitcase to bring beer and all my camping gear.

This year I'm flying up with a friend in his 172 with the 180 hp upgrade. I can bring a lot of beer!

I am planning on flying to Oshkosh... which is a major milestone for me. I think this is a great thing to do, we need more people in this world like Jay and Mary who bring people together... I'm new to flying and plane ownership, therefore I don't know a soul... but I guess that's what these get togethers are for. Thank you... Andrew

Well, I did the "strobes-in-a-Corona-bottle" last year. What can I do electroniker for you this year?

Jim

I am planning on flying to Oshkosh... which is a major milestone for me. I think this is a great thing to do, we need more people in this world like Jay and Mary who bring people together... I'm new to flying and plane ownership, therefore I don't know a soul... but I guess that's what these get togethers are for. Thank you... Andrew

Everyone is welcome at the HOPS Party!

Back in the day, the rec.aviation groups were what united our very scattered group of pilots. We were from all over the U.S. (mostly) and the world. POA, Facebook, and half a dozen other web-based groups have taken its place, but the sentiment is the same: A group of pilots hanging out together is ALWAYS the best place to be!

Glad you're planning to attend! :)

Well, I did the "strobes-in-a-Corona-bottle" last year. What can I do electroniker for you this year?

Jim

Your setup from last year is in the OSH Trailer. I expect with new batteries, everything will be great!

Your presence is the only thing we need this year! :)

I was at the World Robotics Championship this year and they handed out more Texas Tampons. If I just knew where Margy put them.

After missing a year, I'm stupidly excited to make it again for the full meal deal this year. Looking forward to making some new friends! See you at the HOP!

New to everything this year, but looking forward to stopping by.

I'm in the same situation as Andrew (except I will have my wife with me). Looking forward to making some new friends. Thanks for doing this Jay & Mary. I've read about this with jealousy for the past 4 years, and now I finally get to go.

Despite the event being rained out the last three years running I will still show my putrid little face there. My personal brewer is tapped out though, so my beer will probably suck. The only commercial brewery here that was any good closed. Thankfully we have outstanding distilleries.

What a cool thing to do... need more people like this out there in the world

So the party is Wednesday -- what day is everyone planning to arrive in OSH?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

My hope is Sunday, but being weather dependent I can never tell precisely. and I'll be again teaching Origami at the Craft Tent every day at 1:00.

Last edited:
I'll be there LATE Friday before the show, and I'll be there for the whole shebang. Need help?
Thanks, but we've already got our advance team on the ground in OSH, and after so many years we've got this party on autopilot.

Of course, if it storms, we might need help holding the big chalet down.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

So we have received word that Jim Weir (and his lovely wife, Cyndi) will be attending. As he is one of the founding members of the HOPS Party, this is always good news. :)

I suspect Ron and Margy -- also founding members -- will be there. Anyone else from the old rec.aviation days planning to attend?

Condition inspection — Complete.
Initial practice flights — Complete,
50% of our beer load purchased from one of the local breweries — Complete!

Just got to get the rest of our beer and make at least one more practice flight and we’ll be ready to go!

Bummed I can’t make it this year but will do next for sure. Thanks for carrying on the tradition so many years!

Hopefully with @weirdjim and his antics the FAA will stop by

I'm coming to OSH, but cannot be at the HOPS bash, because I have to be back in Dallas Wednesday night.

But, I bet I'll see you some day there!

I am planning to visit the party. I’ll bring some Ohio beers (if I don’t drink them first).

Dave

Back