Accelerated commercial training in MN/ND?

ArnoldPalmer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ArnoldPalmer
Title says it all. Looking for a place to go finish up my commercial. Have most of the requirements met. Just need to finish up. Of course odd-ball schedule and lack of GA in this part of the state means my training keeps dragging out....

Know of any place that can dedicate a flight instructor for 4 or 5 days to get this done?

Thanks!

Edit: Most of my time is in Cessna 172/152 equipped with a six-pack. Would like to try and get the commercial done in similar.

Last edited:
Theres a place in Cloquet, MN that should do it i think. I forget the name right now.

My friend did an accelerated IR in under 2 weeks and that was during January in MN.

Theres a place in Cloquet, MN that should do it i think. I forget the name right now.

My friend did an accelerated IR in under 2 weeks and that was during January in MN.
Thanks. Familiar with that place. Will give them a call next week.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Riggin in Madison, SD. I realize it's the wrong Dakota, but I finished my IFR there in three days in December. Even got a tailwheel endorsement out of it.

Thanks. Familiar with that place. Will give them a call next week.

When I called Venture North about their accelerated CFI, I was told their next available was in September. Not sure if commercial would be similar.

Riggin in Madison, SD. I realize it's the wrong Dakota, but I finished my IFR there in three days in December. Even got a tailwheel endorsement out of it.

When I called Venture North about their accelerated CFI, I was told their next available was in September. Not sure if commercial would be similar.
Thanks. While at AXN, I overheard that Riggin was in trouble with the FAA. Relates to his DPE status and the way he conducts his checkrides. Not sure the validity of these rumors.

I'll call Venture this week and see what gives.

Thanks. While at AXN, I overheard that Riggin was in trouble with the FAA. Relates to his DPE status and the way he conducts his checkrides. Not sure the validity of these rumors.

I'll call Venture this week and see what gives.

The rumors are (at least partially) true as far as his DPE status. However, the flight school is still operating using other area DPEs.

Hate to hijack, but how about accelerated IFR in ND SD or WY. Western MN ok too.

Hate to hijack, but how about accelerated IFR in ND SD or WY. Western MN ok too.
The guys at Cloquet do that too. Not sure your location.. but there was a guy at KSAZ who specialized in 10 day IFR.

Where are you located?

Probably true. 8 years ago when I did my last checkride with him, he was ranting about how the FSDO was giving him a hard time about this, that and the other, including the fact that he 'passes too many people'.

I did my IR with Dan Vigesaa. He operates out of a couple of eastern ND and western MN airports. Not sure how active he is as an instructor these days, he must be getting up there in age.

Probably true. 8 years ago when I did my last checkride with him, he was ranting about how the FSDO was giving him a hard time about this, that and the other, including the fact that he 'passes too many people'.

I did my IR with Dan Vigesaa. He operates out of a couple of eastern ND and western MN airports. Not sure how active he is as an instructor these days, he must be getting up there in age.

I've heard some tales about how he conducts his checkrides...

Dan is still around, based out of KFFM. Travels to surrounding areas - but is very busy. Charges are pretty steep.....

Where are you located

I'm in eastern MT

If you are willing to travel, I'd recommend GATTS in Manhattan, Kansas. Solid program and great DPE availability. But do prepare to spend a couple more days there because the weather in Kansas can be very interesting.

Back to this thread. Am still working on my commercial. Number of setbacks - and had to reschedule the ride 3 times now. :( We pick a date/time to get it done and of course something comes up. Either weather is junk or something else happens. Hoping end of the month.

My flying needs some fine-tuning. Ground stuff I am well up to speed on. Just need to fly with an instructor for a few hours and get signed off.

Any recommendations? Open to anywhere in CONUS, where I can spend a long weekend and get it all done.

Some good folks at In The Pattern at KDTO. Talk to their Chief Instructor, Amanda.

I am wrapping up my Commercial training with them.

Based in KDTL. Lessons out of KBRD when I can..
I can run it by my CFI but he doesn't have a plane. If you have access to a rental plane he would probably drive up and fly with you a couple days. He's about 180 miles south. Is KDTL paved runway still open?

I can run it by my CFI but he doesn't have a plane. If you have access to a rental plane he would probably drive up and fly with you a couple days. He's about 180 miles south. Is KDTL paved runway still open?
Yup. KDTL is still open and usually is all year round.

They may close for a day after a blizzard until the city crews can clear the runway.
Maybe I have the airport code wrong (KDTL = Detroit Lakes). I fly in there during the summers to visit my folks. As I understand it they are now on Phase III of the runway extension and that the runway would be close from this fall into next spring?

Maybe I have the airport code wrong (KDTL = Detroit Lakes). I fly in there during the summers to visit my folks. As I understand it they are now on Phase III of the runway extension and that the runway would be close from this fall into next spring?

Ah. That makes more sense. Don't know the answer.

Stopped by the airport on my way home. There was a bird landing 31, so guessing they are open... For now.

The rumors are (at least partially) true as far as his DPE status. However, the flight school is still operating using other area DPEs.
Riggin is great! I did my CSE with them! Hoping to do my CME with them.
Any news if the DPE is back doing checkrides? The whole concept of Riggin is to get in and get out. That is the reason I went to them and that is the reason I want to go back to them!

Riggin is great! I did my CSE with them! Hoping to do my CME with them.
Any news if the DPE is back doing checkrides? The whole concept of Riggin is to get in and get out. That is the reason I went to them and that is the reason I want to go back to them!

They are on my list of places as a fallback at this time.

I called them - and reading between the lines - Riggin was/is in trouble with the FAA. They said "we have a DPE, but he can only conduct Private Pilot Checkrides. We'll have to find another DPE to do the commercial ASEL stuff."

I could be wrong...

The other location I talked to was Tea, SD. They have a DPE on hand as well.

I called them - and reading between the lines - Riggin was/is in trouble with the FAA. They said "we have a DPE, but he can only conduct Private Pilot Checkrides. We'll have to find another DPE to do the commercial ASEL stuff."

I could be wrong...

The folks at Tea... do you know if you can get a CME?

The folks at Tea... do you know if you can get a CME?
Sorry, just saw this. I am not sure if they have a bird. KBRD might be an option.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Check out Lakes Area Aviation in Little Falls, MN for multi. Highly recommended

I could be wrong...

#ArnoldPalmer...Any word if the DPE in Madison, SD is back doing "all" the checkrides? I have some time coming up in Jan and would love to get my CME with them.

#ArnoldPalmer...Any word if the DPE in Madison, SD is back doing "all" the checkrides? I have some time coming up in Jan and would love to get my CME with them.
No clue. Have not talked to them since my call in October....

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Back